It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 693 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Bundesliga
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:46 pm 

What do you guys think of a Bundesliga thread, similar to the Ligue 1 thread mainly run by PG (and Tubzinho)? If anybody is interested in matchday reports as well as developments on and off the pitch, I would be happy to make a contribution...

There have been some interesting developments during last season, and it would be nice to follow the likes of Wolfsburg (with new manager Armin Veh), Hoffenheim (will they snatch a place in the top 5?), Bayern (they will have to make up for the past season, that includes keeping Ribery and signing new players, e. g. Gomez, who declared today that he'll play for Bayern next season), Hamburg (probably without Jol next season), Bremen (with Diego left for Juventus, how will his replacement Özil do?), Schalke (with Magath) and so on.

As I said, we could use this thread as a place for discussion, and if there's general interest in the Bundesliga I would happily contribute with some reports straight from the horse's mouth.

Last edited by Jules on Tue May 26, 2009 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Bundesliga
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:51 pm 
Acclaimed member

Seen as how I don't really watch a helluva lot of other European leagues these days I probably couldn't contribute much to the thread but I would certainly appreciate reading it. I really enjoy reading the Ligue 1 thread and a bundesliga one would be most welcome :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:10 pm 
Acclaimed member

A fine idea Jules. I would certainly appreciate having the benefit of someone providing first hand knowledge of the workings of the league, and in particular I would enjoy reading about promising players that have been overlooked or are under the radar of the bigger leagues.

A thread I would certainly read. :thumbup:

Oh, and don't forget the graphs. :nana:

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:52 pm 
Acclaimed member

Mario Gomez will cost Bayern Munich £26 million :yikes:

Martin Jol has left Hamburg for Ajax.

Also Diego has agreed to join Juventus not Inter :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:14 pm 

Dicko wrote:
Also Diego has agreed to join Juventus not Inter :thumbup:

I stand corrected. Don't know why I mixed that up. :oops: Just edited the starting post.

Dicko wrote:

I agree, an awful lot of money. He will be the most expensive Bundesliga player of all times. It will be interesting to see if Bayern bench him, considering Klose and Toni are their indisputable front men.

Dicko wrote:
Martin Jol has left Hamburg for Ajax.

Apparently Ajax tried to get Rijkaard and Adriaanse first but were rebuffed. I guess the major reason for Jol leaving Hamburg is that he felt let down by the managing board: He wanted to strengthen the squad after losing Olic to Bayern, and there were also plans to get van der Vaart back. However, the board refused to spend big.
Possible candidates to replace Jol in Hamburg: Labbadia and Slomka.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:37 pm 
Acclaimed member

I think a Euro-footy thread would be an excellent idea for next season.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:18 am 
Acclaimed member

Tubzinho wrote:
I think a Euro-footy thread would be an excellent idea for next season.

Ditto. An 'European leagues' thread for the off-season even would be great for managerial changes, player transfers and other stories.

The Dzeko-Grafite combination for Wolfsburg was deadly in the season just over. They've now lost their manager to Schalke and probably will be split in some way.

Bundesliga Comment: Grafite And Dzeko - A Match Made In Heaven
Goal.com's Ewan Macdonald looks at what makes Wolfsburg's front line so extra special this season...
23-May-2009 9:46:57 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/2292/ ... -in-heaven

As Wolfsburg coasted to a 5-1 win over Werder Bremen to lift the Bundesliga trophy for the first time, the Saxon club forever etched itself into German football history, being the first side to lift their inaugural championship this century. That wasn't the only milestone reached. Forwards Grafite and Edin Dzeko officially became the deadliest duo of any Bundesliga season, racking up an incredible 54 goals between them in 34 games - an average of 1.59 goals per game from the forward line. That beats the old record of 1971-72 in which those two immortals, Gerd Muller and Uli Hoeness, hit 53 between them for Bayern Munich, Muller hitting 40 of those. This partnership is a lot more balanced, and one can argue that it's just as efficient. The record was broken despite the fact that the two were not ever-present. In 29 starts, Dzeko managed his 26 goal haul - one every 100 minutes, give or take. Grafite's feat of 28 in 25 starts - well over a goal a game, needless to say - is arguably even more impressive.

Between the two of them they hit 66.25% of their side's goals this season, and did so in style. With explosive pace and a seemingly unstoppable sense of confidence, the goals rained in. They especially did so in the second half of the season. The vast bulk of Dzeko's strikes have come since the end of the winter break, and the team as a whole have scored 18 times in their last five matches. Inevitably, the season ended with a five-goal rout of Bremen - Grafite netted twice, and Dzeko closed the season with a strike of his own. The world has looked on as these two rack up the goals, but to get the real scoop on why they work so well together, we went to Goal.com Germany to ask Bundesliga expert Torsten Frings to tell us more about this dynamic duo.

"It's key to remember that these two are both foreigners," he told us today. "With that in mind, that they both play in a strange country, they have a great relationship on and off the pitch that sees them stick together. They both have pace and an eye for goal, but because they're so close they are not selfish. Always, always they look for their partner if they have a better chance of scoring. They're not like a target man and a penalty box striker partnership - instead they play a very similar game, so much so that it's identical sometimes. But because they work so well together they get great results."

It goes without saying that the cream of European clubs are already looking seriously at the two forwards. Wolfsburg, while wealthy, are a modest outfit by European standards - they've already lost coach Felix Magath to struggling Schalke - and may struggle to hold onto their stars if serious bids come in. But there is also the chance that the two may wish to stick around and finish what they've started. Both arrived in 2007, both will see their contracts end in 2011 - it may well be that the club persuades them, and they agree, to make a real tilt at the Champions League, given their automatic group stage entry for next year. Whatever happens, though, it is plain to see that by virtue both of their style and their record-breaking feats, their partnership at Wolfsburg will not be forgotten in a hurry.

Perhaps, too, this partnership can serve as a lesson to those who only follow one of the 'big three' leagues that the Bundesliga, as well as other European competitions, have much to recommend them. Even if Wolfsburg can't hold onto them forever, there is no doubting that the boys in green have made history. The fans in Germany, and indeed the world, will never forget Dzeko and Grafite. One feels that they will never forget Wolfsburg either. And the Bundesliga goalkeepers unfortuante enough to have met them certainly won't!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:47 am 

Jules wrote:
Dicko wrote:

I agree, an awful lot of money. He will be the most expensive Bundesliga player of all times. It will be interesting to see if Bayern bench him, considering Klose and Toni are their indisputable front men.

It's a weird move. I can only assumed that they brought him in to replace Podolski, who is leaving, but out of the 3, who will be spending the most time on the bench? The way i look at it, it'll probably be Gomez. Although he got something like 24 goals this season, to me, he's basically a Luca Toni with less bite.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:29 am 

DL wrote:
The Dzeko-Grafite combination for Wolfsburg was deadly in the season just over. They've now lost their manager to Schalke and probably will be split in some way.

Apparently Grafite has announced that he will stay at Wolfsburg, he wants to extend his contract this week until 2013; while Dzeko, despite having a contract until 2011, wants a move away. I think it's a good decision, because they won't be able to repeat what they've done this season: Bayern will strengthen their squad considerably (although it remains to be seen if they will spend their cash sensibly) and will be keen to win the league next season after they just escaped a disgrace in the past one, and while Wolfsburg's new manager Veh is certainly promosing and capable of leading teams to success, he won't be able to repeat Magath's brilliant work at Wolfsburg. Magath is head and shoulders above him.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:58 pm 
Acclaimed member

nusnam wrote:
Jules wrote:
Dicko wrote:

It's a weird move. I can only assumed that they brought him in to replace Podolski, who is leaving, but out of the 3, who will be spending the most time on the bench? The way i look at it, it'll probably be Gomez. Although he got something like 24 goals this season, to me, he's basically a Luca Toni with less bite.

They obviously don't see him as that. I don't think anyone will intend to spend 24m for a substitute. He's been consisttent over the last three seasons scoring an average of 26 goals so will definitely get them goals. Toni didn't reach 20. Apart from the idea of fresh blood into the team, I'm guessing they plan to build the team around him as neither Klose (30) nor Toni's (32) are getting any younger.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:39 am 

DL wrote:
nusnam wrote:
Although he got something like 24 goals this season, to me, he's basically a Luca Toni with less bite.

They obviously don't see him as that. I don't think anyone will intend to spend 24m for a substitute. He's been consisttent over the last three seasons scoring an average of 26 goals so will definitely get them goals. Toni didn't reach 20. Apart from the idea of fresh blood into the team, I'm guessing they plan to build the team around him as neither Klose (30) nor Toni's (32) are getting any younger.

The first thing that separates Gomez from Toni, besides being 9 years younger, is that he has excellent technical abilities. He is right footed, but has a good left foot as well. Like Toni, Gomez is strong in the air, but also pretty quick for his size and stature, and in contrary to Toni he is working for the team. And irrespective of some disastrous games for the national team, his finishing is very good, he is very calm in front of the goal. Gomez is much more complete compared to Toni, who will probably play only one more year for Bayern - if he doesn't leave this summer.

The most time on the Bayern bench will obviously be spent by Olic. But besides that, I would be surprised to see Gomez on the bench too often. It wouldn't be the first time Bayern are buying a talented player just for the sake of it and bench him (take Podolski and even more Schlaudraff as an example), but this time Gomez is not only way too good but has also been too expensive to bench him.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:33 am 

Fair enough, i'm not convinced by Gomez yet but i guess he's got his age on his side to prove me wrong. So far, i just found him to be quite poor on his touches although he does get the easy shots in.

On a general note, hopefully Wolfsburg can keep most of their players and continue to mount a title challenge next season, something the Bundesliga is lacking in.. consistently strong teams other than Bayern.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:46 am 

I like the idea of this thread a lot, I really enjoy the French one and I would also like to see an Italian one, lots of activity is happening there starting with Diego's move but a lot of speculation is linking some big deals to start over there as soon as there season finishes and it's a good read.

Milan may finsih fourth which would be a tricky opponent if we were drawn with them in the qualifier for the CL next season.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:50 pm 

Tonight Bremen won the DFB-Pokal (similar to FA Cup) against Leverkusen. For most parts of the game they were the dominating team. In his last game, Diego showed why Bremen, who kicked out Wolfsburg on their way to the final, is going to miss him as a playmaker - not only had he a very good game over all and was commanding the midfield, he also played the final pass to Özil (who scored the only goal of the game) despite three players trying to stop him. After the goal Bremen inexplicably became more and more passive and less concentrated, and in the last 10 minutes of the game Wiese had to make some crucial saves. For Leverkusen, who kicked out titlehoder Bayern, this is the end of a disappointing season, while Bremen were able to compensate for their equally disappointing campaign. By winning the DFB-Pokal, Bremen qualified for the Europa League. I am happy for them, sometimes they remind me of Arsenal, that's why I have a soft spot for them.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:52 am 
Marketing & Enhancement

Diego is a quality player who deserves to be playing at a a higher level, but do you see him leaving Bremen? And if so who do you think he'll go to?

He's a speciality type of player, the type of player that a club can only have on of, but I can't see where he would go. I can't see him in a premier league team although I would love him at Arsenal, and I can't see him at an Italian team. Will he stay at Bremen or do you think he would do well in a team like Atletico Madrid or Villareal?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 693 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 47  Next