It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 793 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Manchester United
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:11 pm 

Thought I'd start a Utd thread, there didn't seem to be one.

Man Utd announce Tevez departure
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 110740.stm

Manchester United have confirmed that Carlos Tevez is leaving the club. United were willing to pay the £25.5m to turn the striker's two-year loan move into a permanent five-year deal but Tevez, 25, has decided to move on. "Disappointingly, his advisors informed the club that he does not wish to continue playing for Manchester United," read a United statement. "The club thanks Carlos for his services over the last two seasons and wishes him good luck for the future." Tevez became a crowd favourite during his time at the Old Trafford club and helped the side win the last two Premier League titles as well as the 2008 Champions League trophy. But he has joined Cristiano Ronaldo in wanting to exit the club, with his final appearance being as a substitute in United's loss to Barcelona in the 2009 Champions League final. United said they were willing to make Tevez "one of its highest paid players" but were told by the Argentine's advisors, who own the player's economic rights, that he would not be accepting the offer of their deal.

Manchester City and Chelsea now appear to be the two main clubs vying for Tevez, who - according to his adviser Kia Joorabchian - is unlikely to move to Liverpool because of their intense rivalry with United. City are flexing their financial clout as their manager Mark Hughes tries to put together a squad capable of challenging the top four of United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. "We've held discussions with some of the interested parties over the last week and the fact is that Carlos will not make any decision until the first week of July," Joorabchian told BBC Five Live. This is a very important decision for him. He is deciding on the future of the next five years. This is purely and simply his personal decision. It will not be anyone else's decision. It will not be mine or other parties involved. He has to sign the next five years with a club he believes has got ambition to go forward in the Premier league, a club with history and one that really wants to achieve things. Carlos does not want to go to Liverpool because of their competitive nature with Manchester United. He does love the United fans very much and has a lot of respect for them. I think that if you look at Carlos's history, he has always gone into grassroots clubs like Boca Juniors and Corinthians, who had not won anything and were at the bottom of the league when he joined them and he won the title with them in his first season."

Another huge loss for United. He's a terrific player, much more effective than Berbatov IMO. If City get there hands on him they'll have a very good team next season.

Post subject: Re: Manchester United
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:24 pm 
Acclaimed member

I think Tevez is an amazing player and I think Ferguson and Co have handled the whole debacle in a completely foolish manner, I cannot really blame Tevez for deciding to go and any top team with enough cash will want him in their side. Lord knows I'd love him at the Emirates....

To mee this is a big gaff from the United management and I think Ferguson has now got some big shoes to fill in the final third of the pitch and no doubt they will have to spend a large proportion of the reputed £80M from the sale of Ronaldo. Losing Ronaldo alone was perhaps not as bad as it might seem for United; given his constant flirting with Madrid and his public non-commital long-term to the club one could quite easily argue that cashing in was the best move all round. Perhaps up and coming winger Tosic might fill a gap instead of a huge money signing, or even the capture of Antonio Valencia who seems to have caught Fergusons eye. One man does not make a team and there were still players who could make up for his goal ratio. But Tevez was also a player who was capable of being a match winner consistantly by a combination of flair, hard graft and dynamic style with an eye for goal and is another big time player to replace, one more guy match winner gone. And now all of a sudden United look half as potent in attack; Other than Berbatov and Rooney their crop of forward players includes the teenagers Macheda and Wellbeck. There is no longer a sense of strength and depth.

Losing two world-class players is a monumental blow there is no two ways about it. There is now the rather huge question of how will United suffer these losses and can they still be a silver winning side or has the Premiership just suddenly been thrown right open? My instincts tell me that Ferguson absolutely has to go out and buy someone who can give United cutting edge and weigh in with goals immediately, to hit the ground running and not look back. And that kind of player will not be easy to get when everybody knows how much money Madrid just deposited in the kitty. Manchester United have a lot to do to actually strengthen their side and with Liverpool, Chelsea and of course the mighty Arsenal looking to all make up the ground behind them, United had better work quickly.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:54 pm 
Acclaimed member

Whey!

Their attack suddenly does seem that frightening. Rooney, Berbatov, Valencia and Park. I suppose it all depends on who Fergie brings in but whoever it is they won't have the impact Ronaldo and Tevez have had i can guarentee.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:23 pm 
It does depend on the reinforcements, as Ribery would be a very good acquisition for Ronaldo (who hasn't actually gone yet of course.) I think they will miss Tevez's industry, and there is the possibility that he may be the one hardest to replace. Depending on their squad come the 1st September, it could be that an injury to Rooney suddenly leaves them exposed to being rather ordinary.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:33 am 

But then again, you can argue that even with Ribery, how are they going to replace the 20-40 goals that ronaldo has banged in for the last 2/3 seasons. Ribery, as good as he can be, does not convince me that he can be mentioned in the same bracket as Henry, Ronaldo, Messi etc, who can change games on their own.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:14 am 

I've watched United at Old Trafford a number of times this season (unfortunately acquiring a ticket for their games is a very easy task for me) and Tevez has stood out on each occaison for his work-rate alone. You normally get the players in the Premiership who make up for their lack of quality with that extra yard of running, very rarely will you combine talent, and in Tevez's case World Class talent, with a work ethic that you'll struggle to rival. His loss is going to a massive blow for United as it was the likes of his work rate, along with Rooney's and Park Ji Sung's that allowed Ronaldo to pretty much do what they want. As well as making up for Berbatov's awful work-rate epitomised by his lack of desire to chase anything back. He's all about his 'laid-back' style but from what I've witnessed it's nothing but disinterest.

United have lost a Portuguese God and an Argentinian Jesus. Ronaldo was irreplacable in his own right, what he brings to the table nobody else on the planet does IMO with only Messi being able to stake a claim. United have treated Tevez woefully in my opinion and if we were ever to treat a player who gave us great service, albeit for a short period, I'd be deeply embarassed.

Here's to United missing out on their first choice replacements (other than Valencia, they can have him) and struggling to replace the quality they've lost. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:56 am 
Acclaimed member

I can very much understand Tevez's frustration. He had an excellent opening season for United, played a not insignificant role in a Double Campaign, and then watched himself repeatedly benched in favour of Alex Ferguson's £30m pet project who doesn't show a tithe of the effort that Tevez does.

Ferguson can point to Tevez's minutes on the pitch as much as he likes, but the guy missed numerous vital games and got splinters in his backside as reward for working his backside off the previous year. I love Tevez's attitude, although he's not worth the reported £25m. Yet if United baulk at paying £25m, but are happy to splurge on Berbatov....well, wrong choice for me.

I just hope Tevez goes to a club deserving of his attitude; which doesn't mean Man City. Unfortunately he has become available at a time when the two Spanish giants don't have room for him, and the other major clubs in La Liga are either a spent force (Valencia), couldn't afford him (still Valencia) and couldn't attract him even if they could (Villarreal) or are perennial underachievers (Atletico). Not sure Sevilla would be a big enough draw, though they don't require a multi-million forward as long as they keep Fabiano and Kanoute.

So that leaves a Serie A devoid of its early-to-late 90's class (sigh), Chelsea (sigh) or Man City (even bigger sigh). Either that or a club like Atletico sell their marquee player for an insane amount, and Tevez comes in late in the summer as the new big fish.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:40 pm 
Acclaimed member

Location: Dennis Bergkamp! Dennis Bergkamp! Dennis Beeergkaaaamp!
I don't think they can replace Ronaldo and Tevez both. That is a lot of goals gone, and frankly a lot of the fear that is instilled in other teams.

Now, they might get Ribery, but I highly doubt it. Madrid seems more likely, especially if Zidane is involved. Valencia might be decent enough, but he certainly won't cause anyone to cringe the way Ronaldo does. Rooney still does the business but Berbatoss was a wasted purchase, as I told all my ManU loving friends the day they bought him. They're still linked to Benzema I guess, but I think there's question marks both as to if he will go there, and how successful he'll be from the off.

Here's hoping for a lousy season for the red side of Manchester.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:59 pm 
Acclaimed member

Thinking about this recently, I highly doubt that UTD will be as dangerous as they have been in the past now that they have lost Tevez and Ronaldo. Tevez creates so much space for other players, one of the reasons that Ronaldo was able to become so effective. Without those goals and assists, Im much more confident about facing them next season :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:10 am 

VALENCIA CLOSE TO UNITED DEAL
Tuesday June 30,2009
http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/110849/Valencia-close-to-United-deal

Manchester United are inching closer to making Antonio Valencia their first signing of the summer.

The Wigan winger has cut his summer break short to try and complete his move to Old Trafford. And the £16million deal is expected to be confirmed this week as Sir Alex Ferguson begins the task of spending the world record £80million fee United have just banked for the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo. They hope Valencia, who scored just three Premier League goals last term, might be able to replicate the pace and dribbling ability of Ronaldo. However, getting anywhere near his goals output might be far more difficult, a factor emphasised at the JJB Stadium last month when the Ecuador flyer missed a sitter in the defeat to United.

Certainly most United fans - and probably Ferguson himself - would be disappointed if there were not further signings by September 1 given the problems he is juggling with. As well as Ronaldo, the loss of Carlos Tevez, seemingly bound for rivals Manchester City, leaves another gap. Karim Benzema has been touted as a potential replacement but has already given vibes he may prefer to go elsewhere, and even then in another year's time. Klaas-Jan Huntelaar is another option but the Dutchman is more of a Ruud van Nistelrooy-type figure and Ferguson has been building his teams in a different way of late.

At the back of Ferguson's mind will also be the knowledge Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Edwin van der Sar are all preparing for what is expected to be their final season of top-flight action, with Gary Neville not far behind. Twelve months ago, United appeared to have the replacements in place but doubts have emerged over Nani, Anderson and Ben Foster, leaving Ferguson with more big decisions to make. There are further question marks over midfielder Owen Hargreaves, who is hoping to return from two years wrecked by a tendinitis problem, and record signing Dimitar Berbatov, who was inconsistent in his debut season.

Sounds dire straits but i don't think it'll be as bad as forecasted. I'm sure Ferguson will bring in someone to replace tevez as well although the aging handful will be difficult to replace if they all retire around the same time but that is still at least a season or two away.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:24 am 
Acclaimed member

Valencia isn't the worst signing ever for them, he's a good player imo. But not worth anywhere near the £16M they're going to pay for him and not exactly a replacement for the goals and assists that Ronaldo brought either. Still, Ferguson has wanted him for a while now and obviously thinks he can bring something to the team.

I just hope that it's a Djemba-Djemba type contribution :nana:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:03 pm 
Acclaimed member

Valencia is a decent player. 16 million comes as a result of reported Madrid interest, if Im honest, I dont think they ever had any intention of signing him.
Wigan seen UTD coming and fair play to them

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:36 pm 

With Valencia included, they're starting XI for next season would be something along the lines of
van der Sar
O'Shea Ferdinand Vidic Evra
Park Fletcher Carrick Valencia
Rooney Berbatov

Thats of course assuming they won't make any more signings, which they undoubtedly will. Either way, it looks like a far less potent attacking force than the last few seasons.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:31 pm 
Acclaimed member

United have a big signing in them and Valencia I don't believe is that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:19 pm 
Acclaimed member

Valencia joins Man Utd from Wigan
18:15 GMT, Tuesday, 30 June 2009 19:15 UK
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 127596.stm

Manchester United have signed Wigan Athletic winger Antonio Valencia on a four-year deal for an undisclosed fee. The 23-year-old Ecuador international is manager Sir Alex Ferguson's first signing since Cristiano Ronaldo signed for Real Madrid in a £80m transfer. "Antonio is a player we have admired for some time now, having spent the last two years in the Premier League with Wigan," said Ferguson. Valencia's transfer is reported to have cost United as much as £16m. "I am sure his pace and ability will make a significant contribution to the team," added Ferguson. United have been in contact with Wigan over a deal for Valencia over the last "two to three months", according to Latics chairman Dave Whelan.

"I have enjoyed my time at Wigan, but I am thrilled to have the chance to challenge for the biggest honours in club football here," said Valencia, who scored three goals for Wigan last season. "Playing in front of 76,000 fans alongside players like Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand and Ryan Giggs will be an amazing experience. I can't wait to get started." Valencia has played 34 times for Ecuador, scoring four goals. "I hope the fans at Wigan can understand that I am an ambitious guy and achance like this might never come again for me," said Valencia, who will be 24 next month. "I am happy that the club has benefited from the move financially because I owe them such a lot. I have had a great time here." Valencia's transfer is a club record for Wigan, but his departure leaves new Latics manager Roberto Martinzez with the task of finding a suitable replacement.

Silly money being thrown around here. One good season amounts to £16m now, oh well.
Tubzinho wrote:
United have a big signing in them and Valencia I don't believe is that.

I agree Tubz. I'd say its a case of getting this signing out of the way so they can blow even sillier money on a marquee signing. That way they avoid inflating Valencia's fee even more.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 793 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 53  Next