It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: Manchester United
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:26 pm 

Location: 150 Miles away from home, down a backstreet called the M4
I'm quite happy about this as I think he is no where near the sort of quality they should be looking at. I'd be devastated if we had signed him :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:01 pm 
Acclaimed member

Good player, be interesting to see if he can cut it at the highest level and rather large fee but Ferguson doesn't get that many transfer wrong. Huge blow to Wigan but one they knew was coming for quite some time

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:10 am 

It's being rumoured that Benzema is heading to old trafford, which isn't a surprise since he's been linked to them for the past years..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:22 am 
nusnam wrote:
It's being rumoured that Benzema is heading to old trafford, which isn't a surprise since he's been linked to them for the past years..

if they get him its another Ronaldo on their hands, Benzema is a player who has stated before its his "dream" to play for real madrid.

should he become available i think madrid would be in there like a shot

i have a feeling Aguero mikght be the big coup they have lined up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:26 pm 

Have just heard a rumour from a very very reliable source that Michael Owen will be signing for Manchester United.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:43 pm 
Acclaimed member

Jay wrote:
Have just heard a rumour from a very very reliable source that Michael Owen will be signing for Manchester United.

Maybe that broshure worked after all :wink:

That would be nothing short of unbelievable if it happened and surely a move born of desparation. A pay as you play deal would be the only way to go with him I suppose as he's far too big a risk to give him a fixed contract, but even bearing that in mind I just don't see Owen as being worth the risk or of the required quality to improve the team.

If it's true it would say one of two things to me; Either Ferguson is having trouble competing with Madrid for the signatures of quality reinforcements or perhaps the United board are not prepared to put the majority of that £80M into the transfer market. Why else would you be gunning for Hulls primary transfer target who's fitness is a major doubt??

Fingers crossed he signs tomorrow :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:14 pm 

Location: 150 Miles away from home, down a backstreet called the M4
LMAO :D and so it begins ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:54 pm 
Acclaimed member

Jay wrote:

Please please let this be true. :lol:
Owen is a shadow of his former self and will not improve their team a significant amount. Bring it on. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:55 pm 

Looks like Sky Sports must read Arsenal-Land as they have just reported this

Owen linked with Red Devils
Last updated: 2nd July 2009
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 36,00.html

Manchester United are reportedly interested in out-of-contract Newcastle United striker Michael Owen. Owen is looking for a new club after allowing his Magpies deal to expire and a number of Premier League clubs are considering a move. The likes of Hull City and Stoke City have signalled their intent to bring him in but it now seems Premier League champions Manchester United have also entered the chase.Sky Bet have slashed their odds on the 29-year-old moving to Old Trafford amid claims that tentative talks have taken place between Owen's representatives and United officials.Sir Alex Ferguson is keen to bolster his strike-force following the departures of Carlos Tevez and Cristiano Ronaldo. Karim Benzema had appeared to be a primary target but the Frenchman is now on his way to big-spending Real Madrid. Free agent Owen would be a much cheaper option but United have yet to make any comment on the reports.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:01 pm 
Acclaimed member

Jay wrote:
Looks like Sky Sports must read Arsenal-Land as they have just reported this

They may indeed read A-L Jay. However the sky paid F365 had it up this afternoon. :wink:

OWEN FOR OLD TRAFFORD?
Posted 02/07/09 16:20
http://www.football365.com/story/0,1703 ... 02,00.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:43 am 
Acclaimed member

Location: Dennis Bergkamp! Dennis Bergkamp! Dennis Beeergkaaaamp!
They have enough supporting cast that he can probably get some goals for them but I like this very much. For a club linked to the likes of Ribery and Benzema, to come away only with Owen is a BIG gamble. If it pays off old Fergie looks a genius, but if not...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:30 pm 

Owen set to have medical at Old Trafford
July 3, 2009
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... rs&cc=5901

Michael Owen has arrived at Manchester United's training ground as his shock move to the Premier League champions gathers pace. The striker will then have a full medical at Carrington on Friday and could put the finishing touches to a pay-as-you-play deal as early as next week. The England international is without a club following the expiry of his contract with Newcastle United and it appeared only Stoke City and Hull City were interested in offering him a contract. But now it appears Sir Alex Ferguson is ready to snap up a player who is fourth in the all-time goalscorers list for his country. Newspaper reports suggest the contract will be purely incentive based, depending on minutes played and goals scored.

Sir Alex tried to sign the player - a boyhood Everton fan - as a teenager but instead he opted, on the advice of his father, to pen a contract with Liverpool where he scored 118 goals in 216 games. United have been searching for a new forward since the departure of Carlos Tevez at the end of his loan deal. They had been linked with the likes of Karim Benzema and David Villa, but now it seems Owen will be arriving. The 29-year-old suffered an injury-ravaged time at St James' Park but still managed to score 10 goals as the Magpies dropped out of the Premier League. The former Liverpool and Real Madrid striker will be hoping a move to Old Trafford will push him back into the thoughts of England coach Fabio Capello ahead of next summer's World Cup finals. United's policy is not to comment on transfer stories, but some Red Devils' messageboards have been lighting up with negative comments. ''Not happy. From what I've seen he is nowhere near as good as he was,'' was one; while another discontented fan lamented: ''Owen hasnt been the same for years!''

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:41 pm 
Trialist

Ronaldo and Tevez out - Valencia and Owen in. 8-)

I think that we shouldn't get too over excited yet as I can't see Owen being the only striker that United bring in. From thier point of view I don't think that this is too much of a risk, for starters they are mega rich and can easily afford his wages. I think that if he stays fit and get some quality players setting up chances for him then this could potentially be a good signing. What with it being a world cup season then he will be wanting to show Capello that he is still able to perform at the top level.

However, if Owen is United's only attacking signing and he gets injured after a couple of games then they could really struggle to retain the title.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:51 pm 
Acclaimed member

Lucky Lefty wrote:
Ronaldo and Tevez out - Valencia and Owen in.

At first glance yes - but they still have £66m to spend and they were rumoured to have had £70m available before selling the winker.

The problem for Utd and Chelsea would seem to be the lack of available big names to buy. United are being linked with Fabiano again, as are Milan. Chelsea are linked with Pato but he doesn't want to join Chelsea, and they have been turned down by Tevez and Ribery already.

I suspect both clubs will turn their attention to South America soon as the number of available targets in Europe is getting thinner.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:11 pm 

Kinda reminds me of our signing of Silvestre last year, an experienced player who despite being passed their prime can be a useful member of the squad and costs very little. Don't think he is the replacement for Tevez, they'll probably be hoping to sign Aguero for that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 53  Next