It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: Manchester United
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:15 pm 
Marketing & Enhancement

I'm not sure...

I think Utd are struggling with debt at the moment and the credit crunch is hitting them hard. In my opinion I can't see them spending to much more this summer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:46 pm 
Acclaimed member

I think this is a very interesting signing which could go either way. He is still only 29 and although his time at Newcastle was poor he was in a horrendously poor team. He'll have much better players around him at OT.

My lingering thoughts on this however are on Owen himself and the complete disregard he obviously has about his place in Liverpool history. For a Liverpool legend to subsequently join Man U appears strange.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:21 pm 
Acclaimed member

I think SG is right, credit crunch is hitting them more than they are letting on. Owen could work out well for them, and if he stays injury free then they should get a season or so out of him. Although they still have a good squad, this isnt a massive improvement for them. I see one or two other signings, but I doubt that they will cost large sums

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:35 pm 

Gunni wrote:
Kinda reminds me of our signing of Silvestre last year, an experienced player who despite being passed their prime can be a useful member of the squad and costs very little. Don't think he is the replacement for Tevez, they'll probably be hoping to sign Aguero for that.

I wouldn't have said Owen was past his prime, I actually won't be surprised if he gets 20 goals in his first season and then goes to South Africa with England. As they say, class is permanent, and Owen has class. It is true that he has been plagued by injuries in the past, but if any medical team can get a player fit then its Man Utd's. They never seem to have players with long term chronic or recurrent injuries so in fact, signing Michael Owen on a pay per play contract is obviously a win-win situation for them.

He was playing in a very weak side at Newcastle and was expected to carry the team, when he comes to United the pressure will be so much less and I wouldn't be suprised if he rises the occasion......Lets hope he is a flop though so we can all laugh at Man yoo !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:48 pm 
Acclaimed member

Lets hope its Fergie becoming desperate after losing on so many big name players, Owen certainly is a big name but is past it with both form and fitness. Of course he could come back to player he was, especially under Fergie but im glad they have signed Owen over the numerous other names they have been linked with.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:15 pm 

Albo wrote:
Jay wrote:
Looks like Sky Sports must read Arsenal-Land as they have just reported this

They may indeed read A-L Jay. However the sky paid F365 had it up this afternoon. :wink:

OWEN FOR OLD TRAFFORD?
Posted 02/07/09 16:20
http://www.football365.com/story/0,1703 ... 02,00.html

Have to say Albo that I had not seen anything about this anywhere when I was told that it was 90% sealed last night.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:21 pm 
Acclaimed member

Reds capture Owen
03/07/2009 18:40, Report by Press Department
http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={F9E570E6-407E-44BC-800F-4A3110258114}&newsid=6635648

Manchester United is delighted to announce that it has signed Michael Owen on a two-year contract. The striker was out of contract, so no transfer fee is involved. Sir Alex Ferguson said: "Michael is a world class forward with a proven goalscoring record at the highest level and that has never been in question. Coming to Manchester United with the expectations that we have is something that Michael will relish.” Michael Owen said: "I had just begun to talk to other clubs when out of the blue Sir Alex phoned me on Wednesday afternoon, invited me to have breakfast with him the next morning during which he told me that he wanted to sign me. I agreed without a moment's thought. "This is a fantastic opportunity for me and I intend to seize it with both hands. I am now looking forward to being a Manchester United player and I am fortunate that I already know so many of the players here. I missed pre-season last year and am pleased that I will be starting at Carrington from day one. "I want to thank Sir Alex for the faith he has shown in me and I give him my assurance that I will repay him with my goals and performances.”

Confirmed. I'm off for a shower after being on that website. Then I'm gonna ge very very drunk.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:35 pm 
Unfortunately I think that's a good acquisition by ManU - certainly a lot better than buying Tevez for £25M.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:53 pm 

Northbanker wrote:
Unfortunately I think that's a good acquisition by ManU - certainly a lot better than buying Tevez for £25M.

:rollover: I want what you are drinking !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:58 pm 

Northbanker wrote:

Could you elaborate that? Are you referring to their debts and weighing in the money they (don't) spend? If so, I think you could have a point: If Man Utd. were deliberately trying not to spend the money they earned by selling Ronaldo and looking for cheaper solutions like Valencia and Owen it wouldn't be the stupidest thing to do. However, firstly I am not sure if that's the case, because they did bid €40m for Benzema, which indicates that they were willing to invest a lot of the Ronaldo-money in overpriced superstars - if Real did not spoil that. And secondly, in spite of all that, I don't know if I would go so far to call Owen a "good acquisition". :)

By the way, I like the fact that all the taunt they had for us last season when we made a very similar signing with Silvestre is firing back now. :wave:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:00 am 
As Jambo said above Owen will likely get 20 league goals for them, a few more than the 4 Tevez got last season.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:30 am 
Marketing & Enhancement

Tevez got 5 league goals, and scored 15 in total and got 7 assits. Considering he only started 34 of their games its not bad. He scored 14 the season before in the league aswell.

Tevez is more than 3x the player Owen is.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:09 am 
Acclaimed member

Northbanker wrote:
As Jambo said above Owen will likely get 20 league goals for them, a few more than the 4 Tevez got last season.

Owen has never scored 20 league goals in a single season in his entire career.

Not fussed by this transfer at all. He peaked as a player 8 years ago, has lived off past glories for at least the previous 4. People go on about how weak the Newcastle team was, the pressure he was under. Rubbish. If Michael Owen is half the player he is supposed to still be, he would score his goals and create his chances regardless of the players around him. Like numerous other far less gifted players have to do in poor sides. He's past it, physically and mentally; stick a chance on a plate for him and he'll put it away, but the searing pace that made him a striker to be feared has all but gone.

I do wonder just how much he was injured at Newcastle, and how much was him giving up on it all rather than actually getting out onto the pitch and earning his wage packet to keep a proud club up. Which he didn't do, for a lot of the time he was actually on the pitch last season.

I think it'd be too much a coincidence if he's suddenly available most weeks for the Mancs.

Decent option to have on the bench, and to rotate around, but unless Owen has an epiphany thats your lot.

Smart business by Ferguson if he brings in another goalscoring attacker (or has one hiding away that we don't know about).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:22 am 

Tevez only got 5 league goals last year, but without those goals United might not have won the league,he had a knack for being in the right place at the right time. He also worked hard from the front and in most of the matches came off the bench and nicked a goal. In not signing Tevez and signing Owen instead, they have shot themselves in the foot in my opinion. Even if they can keep Owen fit for a whole season (doubt it) he won't have the same effect as Tevez had on the team as a whole. They look less dangerous as the summer has gone on and I hope it continues.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:47 am 

Just a small comparison between Owen - who came for free to Man Utd., is not going to be anything more than an option for rotation and has a pay as you play-deal as far as I know - and our first choice-striker:

I am not saying this is a great deal for Man Utd., not even a particularly good one, but I think they are not done spending yet and we should not carried away by thinking they are planning Owen as a first team regular. He is not adding frightening quality to their squad, but besides taking the spot on the bench away from Marcheda and Wellbeck he can't do any harm as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 53  Next