It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: Manchester United
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:41 pm 
Acclaimed member

Albo wrote:
Magic Hat wrote:
Owen's an Everton fan who, Rooney aside, don't seem to have much of a problem with Man U.

:puzzled: So Rooney has a problem with Man U?

I think he meant that Everton fans do and have not in the past had much of a problem with Man U apart from sore feelings connected to the Rooney transfer,aimed at the player and his new club which a lot of Evertonians felt was an abandonment by their "prodigy". That is my take on his comment anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:44 pm 
Acclaimed member

JasonC wrote:
Albo wrote:
Magic Hat wrote:
Owen's an Everton fan who, Rooney aside, don't seem to have much of a problem with Man U.

:puzzled: So Rooney has a problem with Man U?

I think he meant that Everton fans do and have not in the past had much of a problem with Man U apart from sore feelings connected to the Rooney transfer,aimed at the player and his new club which a lot of Evertonians felt was an abandonment by their "prodigy". That is my take on his comment anyway.

Ahhh. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:23 am 
Acclaimed member

JasonC wrote:

your right, have a cookie

I swear I replied to this yesterday. Clearly LoneGunner is evilly using mind rays to turn me insane

I agree that his interests to do seem England based "So Owen, you scored a hatrick against Sunderland to win 3-2, how do you feel?" "Well, I am delighted that the England manager was here to see what I could do", couldn't stop talking about England if he tried. Trying to reach the England team isn't a bad thing but not when it gets to be your sole obsession, it is a problem.

I'm reluctant to comment on a player's effort, some players can make a one yard dash look like hard work, others could clear an effort off the line and spring upfield to score 30 seconds later and seem lazy. Berbatov actually made more attempts to tackle people then Rooney and Tevez last season yet ask anyone and it ain't the big lad that is considered the hard worker. With the Liverpool thing, he may simple have got sick of the board who had failed to wrap his contract, sick of the downward trend his team were on and then Real offered him a get out rather then Owen planned to leave on such little cash.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:09 pm 

Red Devils swoop for Obertan
French starlet signs four-year United contract
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 89,00.html

Manchester United have made their third signing of the summer after finalising a deal for Bordeaux's Gabriel Obertan. The 20-year-old French starlet has signed a four-year contract after an undisclosed transfer fee was agreed for his services. Obertan becomes Sir Alex Ferguson's latest capture of the summer following the recent additions of Michael Owen and Antonio Valencia. Ferguson has revealed United have been tracking Obertan for some time and that he is excited to finally bring the player to Old Trafford

"Gabriel is a player we have tracked for a few years now, but because of his educational programme our efforts to get him here have always been delayed," he told the club's official website. "We are delighted to get him now as he is an exciting prospect. We like to get young players and develop them, and we will see that in Gabriel over the next two years." Obertan has expressed his delight at joining the Premier League champions and he is already looking forward to impressing the club's legion of fans. "I am very happy to join Manchester United," he told us. "This is a big opportunity for me to play at such a great club. I am very excited to be here and I look forward to proving what I can do." United have confirmed Obertan is currently carrying a slight injury that will prevent him travelling on their pre-season tour of Asia.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:15 pm 
Acclaimed member

Owen, Obertan and? :puzzled:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:17 pm 
Marketing & Enhancement

Valencia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:55 pm 

Im very happy they didn't get Benzema himself and Rooney would have been a powerful young partnership. With all that money you have to think they have something lined up Ribery or aguero. Either way united never go down easy. But there central midfield is the weakest its been in a long time. Anderson and scholes are disappointing and fletcher and carrick are good without being worldclass. Im mean there no Lampard and Essien.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:32 pm 
ManU could find it quite tough this year without Ronaldo. Neville's a goner and Giggs and Scholes can't go on forever. Van der Sar is at the age when goalkeepers deteriorate very quickly, a lot of his athleticism is already gone. Players like Park and Fletcher have been carried by the big names, Nani and Anderson have not lived up to their £36M billing. Hargreaves is injured again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:18 pm 
Marketing & Enhancement

Alex Ferguson has said he's not going to sign anyone else this summer, just as I thought.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:12 pm 

Obertan to me is a bloody decent signing, I am surprised he didn't get much game time with Bordeaux. I know they may appear to have paid over the odds for him, but they paid more than we were willing to when Ronaldo was just a young prospect.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:09 pm 

SloppyGooner wrote:
Alex Ferguson has said he's not going to sign anyone else this summer

That and the fact that Owen is getting their beloved number 7 is going to piss some Man Utd. fans really off. But if they pay some of their debts this summer instead of buying overpriced superstars it could be the better way to go for the club in the long term.

I am curious how Obertan will do for them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:26 pm 
Jules wrote:
SloppyGooner wrote:

I am curious how Obertan will do for them.

what has got me deumbfounded is, if Ferguson wanted to buy a young exciting winger why over look Hazard? or even Segessnon?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:59 pm 
Acclaimed member

I bet United sign someone else Fergie always lies, but still Owen no.7 :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:22 pm 
Acclaimed member

Saw that earlier. Really made my day

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:51 pm 
Marketing & Enhancement

Fergie ends summer spending
By Richard Bailey Last updated: 13th July 2009
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 84,00.html

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed that he will not be making any more summer signings after explaining that he refuses to pay the inflated fees of Europe's top stars. Ferguson believes that the transfer market has 'caught fire' this summer with players' valuations going through the roof.

The Scot highlighted that he is used to paying over the odds for players but he would not be held to ransom over certain prospective targets. It means that United fans will have to make do with the arrivals of Antonio Valencia, Michael Owen, who has been handed the number seven shirt, and Gabriel Obertan as the Premier League champions get accustomed to life without Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez.

"It is the end of our business, so all these stories about who we are supposed to be getting - forget it," he said. "Everywhere in England and in Europe the players' values have shot sky high. I don't think any of the transfers that you see happening are realistic but for some reason it seems to have caught fire this summer. "It is a very unusual summer and difficult to get value because of that."

Despite recently being linked with the likes of Sergio Aguero and Douglas Costa, Ferguson was confident he already had enough quality in his squad to compete on all fronts this season. "That's always been the case with Manchester United, we have always had to pay a bit extra," he added. "But this summer we are not prepared to do that because you have got to understand we have got some very good young players. "We have a very good squad and there is no need to ever need a jerk reaction to losing Cristiano because we did very well to keep him for six years and it was his moment to leave and we allowed him to do that. "We shouldn't panic because of one player leaving. I think we have a very, very good squad with some good young players in all positions."

The Red Devils chief also pointed out that he was keen to bring in someone with the experience of Owen to complement the youthfulness of Obertan and Valencia. "What I have done is bring in some youth with Gabriel and Antonio and brought in an old codger like Michael just to balance things up," he joked. "But experience is vital. Also with Michael you will see the experience he will give us in the penalty box. He will score goals because that is what he has been great at for years and years. "You always had to be aware of him in his movement of his runs and the most difficult thing was the timing of his runs. "I used to say that to the players, don't let him stand you in the penalty box, and he has always had that knack of losing defenders in the final third."

Since when did Ferguson worry about Value? Fergusons words make it look like the credit crunch is starting to hit teams hard (apart from Man City and Madrid). In his interview he mentions, 'It's a difficult summer for football'.

Do people believe that Wengers wise words that football is not sustainable at the moment are coming true, and that our current self-sustainable business model will prevail when these clubs start to struggle with growing debts?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 53  Next