It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53
 Post subject: Re: Manchester United
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:23 am 
Marketing & Enhancement

Plus they're in firmly in the pocket of this man.

Ready to earn a cool £18.4 million if the Pogba deal goes through (on top of the £10 mil or so he's made off the Ibra and Mikki deals).

United must have paid around £100m in agency fee's alone to Raiola and Mendes over the past 5 years. Insane.

As for Pogba - it's difficult to see how he can succeed really. How good will he have to be to live up to a £100m price tag?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:34 am 

manuhater wrote:
I reckon if we get 6th we'll have done well.

I'd wager a large amount of money that you had a similar prediction last season, the season before that and so on! Keep going, you'll get it right one year I guess, law of averages and all :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:48 am 
Acclaimed member

There is a lot more wrong with Man Utd than signing 3-4 players is going to rectify, even if they sign Pogba. Interested to see though what happens with United and the way they play. I think part of Mourinho's remit was to make sure United play an attacking game and it will be interesting to see how serious United are about that. Personally I can see that going out of the window pretty early on, with a "we have to have a solid basis first" approach that Mourinho is reknowned for.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:36 am 

block132 wrote:
Jules wrote:
Man Utd. will announce Pogba in the next days. Paid what, 100m? 120m? Euros or Pounds? It doesn't really matter anymore, does it. :roll:

I'm not even convinced Pogba is that good. And it's funny that their transfers - Mkhitaryan, Ibrahimovic, Pogba - sound like a 12 year old playing football manager. But you know what, they get shit done. And they will be above us again at the end of next season.

Agree with you re: someone playing football manager :) However, I'm not so sure they will finish above us.

Mkhitaryan : Takes a season and a half to get comfortable in a new side.
Ibrahimovic : Ego and I don't recall him doing that well against English sides, certainly not recently, plus he's getting on a bit. Will the pace of our league find him out?
Pogba : Ego mark II and wasn't that great in the euros.

We have a very settled side, they are all change again.

I'd agree with you about Ibrahimovic and Pogba one just spends a lot of time posing and the other I was left wondering what the fuss was about at the euros.
We only have a settled side because we don't make much effort to improve and even then only until we start picking up our usual clutch of injuries.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:39 am 

block132 wrote:
manuhater wrote:
I reckon if we get 6th we'll have done well.

I'd wager a large amount of money that you had a similar prediction last season, the season before that and so on! Keep going, you'll get it right one year I guess, law of averages and all :D

Quite possibly but if we remain as we were and the likes of City Chelsea Utd Liverpool improve, they will all wave to us on the way past.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:07 pm 

block132 wrote:
However, I'm not so sure they will finish above us.

Mkhitaryan : Takes a season and a half to get comfortable in a new side.
Ibrahimovic : Ego and I don't recall him doing that well against English sides, certainly not recently, plus he's getting on a bit. Will the pace of our league find him out?
Pogba : Ego mark II and wasn't that great in the euros.

We have a very settled side, they are all change again.

I think Mkhitaryan, Ibrahimovic, and Pogba, plus Rooney and Mourinho, can be a pretty explosive mix. Positively as well as negatively. If this mix clicks, then they can be pretty good. However, it could also implode rather quickly if things don't go their way. That's what I'm hoping for. I haven't forgotten how utterly insane Mourinho was when he left Chelsea. My hope is that this insanity is still somewhere in him.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:52 pm 
Acclaimed member

If Jose doesn't implode, Man U will be a very strong side. I think shoehorning Rooney into the number 10 position will hamper them but they will have a strong defence and some very good players going forward and a manager who is excellent over the short term.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:18 am 

The Obvious One:

José Mourinho admits Premier League title is some way off for United
• Changing playing style ‘the most difficult thing in football’
• Manager has suspended Paul Pogba back for trip to Everton

By Paul Wilson, Friday 2 December 2016
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ier-league

José Mourinho has revised his timescale for Manchester United winning the Premier League title, claiming that changing the way a team plays is the most difficult thing in football. On succeeding Louis van Gaal in July Mourinho said his objective was to try to win the league in his first season. Now he concedes that may not happen and even admits the next time United are champions may be after he has left the club.

At all his previous clubs Mourinho has managed to get off to a quick start and stamp his personality on the team early. He is struggling to do that at United, he says, because his philosophy is entirely different from that of the last manager and the players need time to adapt.

“Sometimes when a manager takes over a new club the differences in approach are not significant,” he said. “In that case all it needs is a little touch, just a fingerprint from the new man and you can get a lot from what was already there. Here we are trying to do something completely different. We could probably get better results if we weren’t trying to go in an opposite direction. I am not talking about tactical systems here. I am talking about the way this team wants to play and that is the most difficult thing in football to change.”

Broadly speaking, Mourinho believes Van Gaal promoted too defensive a style, with too much sideways and backwards passing and not enough looking forward to attack between the lines. Most people agree United are playing well at the moment and Michael Carrick went so far as to suggest there were signs of the old club emerging. But what is frustrating Mourinho is that the best performances have occurred in the cups and not the league. United are at Goodison Park on Saturday, one of Mourinho’s favourite stadiums, and the manager is hoping for a better return away from home than the sequence of four league draws at Old Trafford that led to his side losing ground on the leaders.

“In the league we have not been getting the goals our performances deserve,” he said. “There is no doubt we are improving, though. We know where we want to go and our destination is to be champions. Maybe we cannot do it this year. You can never tell in football but the gap might be already too large. I don’t know when we will do it, maybe when I am not here, but that is what we are working towards and I think it will happen.”

Paul Pogba will be back from suspension at Everton, meaning Bastian Schweinsteiger’s services are unlikely to be needed, though the midfielder who appeared for the last few minutes of United’s 4-1 EFL Cup win over West Ham in midweek could have a future at United after all.

“He is another one that can help us and he was ready when we needed him when Pogba and [Marouane] Fellaini were both available,” Mourinho said. It was widely assumed the Germany international would move on in January after being shunned by Mourinho at the start of the season but, as the manager now accepts, the player is the one in control.

“When you have a contract with a club you are the powerful one,” Mourinho said. “We tried to make something happen in summer but he decided to stay and the same thing could happen again. At least he is happier now he is working with the team again. He has always been professional and I like people with determination.”

Mourinho is also back from suspension after the water bottle incident in the league match against West Ham, philosophical about his punishment but convinced he is being treated differently from other managers.

“I am willing to obey the rules but I would like to see the same rules for everyone,” he said. “I cannot kick a bottle of water, I accept that, just as I accepted the sending-off and the suspension without complaint. If those are the rules, fine. I just need to be sure they are the same for all the other managers.”

Interesting statement:
"Sometimes when a manager takes over a new club the differences in approach are not significant. In that case all it needs is a little touch, just a fingerprint from the new man and you can get a lot from what was already there."

Another way to look at it is that he actually looks quite mediocre as soon as he doesn't inherit an already brilliant squad. (Yes, Porto wasn't brilliant. But after that, pretty much every squad he inherited already was super strong.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:56 am 
Acclaimed member

Not all the squads he inherited were doing fantastically well till he came in, he has an excellent short term record. But not here. With this, the squad is arguably better then the way they have played till recently, the players he has dropped at start of season have turned out to be key, he has struggled to find the right attack till recently, his own indiscipline and cowardly attacks on injured players means he owes the squad an apology.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:31 pm 

Magic Hat wrote:
...he owes the squad an apology.

Dammed you are an optimist.

Why does it suddenly now take him a whole season to turn things around? Conte has flipped Mourinho's disaster at Chelsea around in about, what, 6 weeks? So why does Mourinho deserve more? He has turned himself into a pathetic caricature. Long may it continue.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:06 pm 
Acclaimed member

I said he owes, not that he will do the decent thing :wink:

Jase wrote:
Why does it suddenly now take him a whole season to turn things around? Conte has flipped Mourinho's disaster at Chelsea around in about, what, 6 weeks? So why does Mourinho deserve more? He has turned himself into a pathetic caricature. Long may it continue.

Sometimes managers can do things in a short space of time (doesn't reflect well on Jose that Conte can), sometimes it can take awhile if there are fundamental problems and to change attitudes. That Jose had plenty of time to prepare and a lot of money, that he isn't getting the best out of his team and has ended up returning to the old guard, the sheer nastiness he has shown against his own side doesn't speak well though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:57 pm 

Look, Mourinho's entire reputation and oeuvre was built on him being able to get success almost immediately. He's not been known as any kind of long-term builder whether at the squad level, or club level. So, if he isn't doing the one thing people hire him for, what's his purpose?

I hope his humble pie tastes like casu marzu.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:31 pm 
Acclaimed member

I agree with that and I don't think his spell at Man U is going to be a good one for him or the club.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:13 am 

Magic Hat wrote:
I don't think his spell at Man U is going to be a good one for him or the club.

:chill:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53