It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Premier League 2016-17
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:10 pm 

Man City won't care who fits where. That's squad depth when you can call on a decent batting line up way down the order as opposed to playing Sanogo against Bayern Munich.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:19 pm 
Marketing & Enhancement

So Pogba completes his move, Stones has gone to City for near enough £50 mil with Everton quickly replacing him with Williams from Swansea.

Transfer window heating up a bit now (apart from the cold, cold boardroom of the Emirates...)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:14 am 

-Jk- wrote:
So Pogba completes his move, Stones has gone to City for near enough £50 mil with Everton quickly replacing him with Williams from Swansea.

Transfer window heating up a bit now (apart from the cold, cold boardroom of the Emirates...)

Nothing changes there then!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:08 pm 
Acclaimed member

So it's that time again, Premier League predictions. Anyone willing to stick their neck on the line in what is surely the most unpredictable opening to a season in the history of the Premier League.

1. Man City
2. Man Utd
3. Arsenal
4. Spurs
5. Liverpool
6. Chelsea
-------------
7. Everton
8. Leicester
9. West Ham
10. Crystal Palace
11. Stoke
-------------
12. Southampton
13. Sunderland
14. Middlesbrough
15. Swansea
16. Bournemouth
17. Watford
18. Burnley
19. West Brom
20. Hull City

I would split the league into three subsections this season; the top six, a further five teams who I think will hover between seventh and midtable - and be safe from danger - and then a good nine teams, anyone of which could be in trouble.

I have a slight favouritism for City as title winners, if Guardiola can get the defensive structure right. Utd second; typically Mourinho has bought what is needed and I can see them becoming a very stable defensive unit throughout the campaign, with enough talent in attack to compensate for a possible lack of balance. We don't have the killer instinct to win it, and Spurs will drop with Champions League football. Liverpool will have a good year and Conte will quickly find that the defensive unit he has inherited creaks too much to mount a challenge.

Koeman to continue true to form and shape a good unit at Everton, and whilst I tipped Leicester to finish outside the top 10 three months ago, keeping everyone bar Kante will go some way to compensate for the effects of Champions League football. Musa is a fantastic signing for them. Hammers to do ok, but won't hit the heights of last season at a new stadium and with European football. Fancy Palace to improve if they can land a decent striker, and Stoke will be their usual middling outfit playing decent football, but ultimately not improving.

At the bottom, take your pick! The instability at Hull could galvanise the players - it certainly did today - but there is a lack of talent and depth. West Brom could be a solid outfit again, but I could see Pulis walking away akin to Palace two seasons ago. The noises about needing 'five players' aren't good. If Pulis goes, I'd suspect the new owners don't have the base knowledge to keep the club on track. Burnley will be their battling self, but ultimately they have again failed to invest and will pay the price for lack of options in attack.

Watford - I've never known a club to buy so many pointless players. Arrival after arrival every season, and few of them really seem to end up playing. I also have a little of that feeling towards Bournemouth, who seem to invest in curious players (£8m Grabban, Murray etc). They have options, but questions marks over experience and ability. Second-season syndrome may apply.

Swansea's pre-season has been anything but smooth, but I like Guidolin and think he can keep the club afloat if Huw Jenkins doesn't bin him. Fancy Boro will do quite nicely if Karanka doesn't have another meltdown and walk away, and they have made some potentially well-judged acquisitions. Sunderland are in disarray, but Moyes will steady the club.

Southampton are a real unknown this year. Lost capable players yet again, bought some solid if unspectacular players yet again. They have the all-round squad to do well, if they can bed in to Puel's diamond. And that is the big 'if'.

Player of the Year
Kevin De Bruyne

Young Player of the Year
Anthony Martial (by dint that a certain rightback won't be glamorous enough to win it)

Golden Boot
Sergio Aguero, if he can remain fit.

FA Cup
Spurs

League Cup
Everton

Breakout Player
Youngster - if Pulis remains, Jonathan Leko as the season progresses. Middling - this may also be the season that Connor Wickham starts to fulfil his potential, if he can remain fit and if Pardew can't attract a Benteke or similar. Top end - I expect Roberto Firmino to move up several levels this season, such a good player and seems to be a Klopp favourite.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:33 pm 

I don't go with the pundits who say there are 6 or 7 teams who could win this. I think there are 3 and the rest haven't a prayer of the title but will fight for 4th.

1. Man Utd
2. Man City
3. Chelsea
4. Arsenal
5. Liverpool
6. Spurs
7. Everton
8. West Ham
9. Leicester
10. Stoke
11. Southampton
12. Middlesbrough
13. Crystal Palace
14. Sunderland
15. Watford
16. Bournemouth
17. Swansea
18. West Brom
19. Burnley
20. Hull City

If we get the defender and striker we need and have needed for the last few years then I would put us 2nd or 3rd. If not, and we probably won't, there will be around 15 points between us and 1st.

Player of the Year
Kevin De Bruyne

Young Player of the Year
Dele Alli

Golden Boot
Sergio Aguero

FA Cup
Man City

League Cup
Man Utd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:48 pm 
Acclaimed member

I'm not going to predict a table but I see Man City as the potential champions but they won't run away with it and I think we will push close with Chelsea and United. I think they will start slow but will improve as Guardiola instills his system. I think less will depend on Aguero, meaning they will be stronger.

Everyone in the media is in this big Mourinho love in and in Ibrahimovic they have a genuine world class match winner up front but their defence is still really what it was last season (world class keeper though) and can Mourinho really create an exciting offensive unit that the fans want whilst maintaining a solid back line?

We are still a strong team despite everything and as long as Ozil is in the right place and we can keep Koscielny and Sanchez fit we will be up there.

Chelsea I feel again will get better as Conte instills his system but they will benefit from no European football. If Conte can maximise Hazard's strength and keep Costa appeased they will be top four.

As for the others, Tottenham will push top four but I think will just fall short. Liverpool are inconsistent and even with Klopp, I don't think they will make a massive jump to being consistent enough to reach the top four. Everton I think will have a good season and may push top six.

Relegation? I fancy Burnley to go down but with a fight, Crystal Palace as I think Pardew's honeymoon is now over and Bournemouth.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:36 pm 
Acclaimed member

Top 4

The title chase to between the two Manchester clubs. Man U will have a strong defence and good wingers but I suspect lack of top DM and the Rooney issue will hamper them. Man City will likely buy a keeper and have one or two adjustments to make but seem stronger placed to win title.

The remaining two spots will be a fight between us who will probably get in, Liverpool who have strengthened well and have Klopp and Spurs who may drop out due to CL and not quite adding enough in the transfer window. Chelsea will certainly fail, Conte is a very good manager but their defence is looking even weaker then last season and will ship too many goals.

Mid table: In no particular order, Stoke will be in top half yet again but defensive weakness will stop them pushing on, Southampton may dip a bit but should still have a good season, Everton will push up becuase they no longer have an inept manager but they badly need defensive reinforcements if they hope for Europa, West Ham will dip with Europa and new staduim+lack of top striker, Leicester will dip and I expect Raneri will ease out some of their first choices over the season like West Morgan but will be safe and enjoy CL. Boro will be safe if relations between manager and players doesn't explode again, a good squad and they have added well. Watford will be fine, Bournemouth really could do with centrebacks and it is weird that Howe hasn't done that but should be fine. Pulis may be forced out with boos of boredom but should still be fine if dangerously stagnant

Relegation fight: Hull are doomed, no manager wants to take over, they lack numbers and aren't a strong squad anyway. Sunderland were rescued by Big Sam, have an inferior manager scrapping on a low budget, Burnley lack the creativity to feed their good strikers and Dyche is clearly frustrated.

Swansea seem to have signed two strikers that don't fit and not much else, probably just stay up as they have some good players and a good manager but feels like a bad summer.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:18 am 
Acclaimed member

I am finding the Joe Hart saga fascinating.

I have always maintained he is massively overrated, and I am curious where he will end up. All other top English clubs have their goalkeeping situation sorted - except perhaps Liverpool - and even Koeman seemed vehement that he would not move for Hart.

So what are the options overseas? Certainly not Barca, Real, Bayern, Juventus, AC Milan. PSG already have an excellent core of keepers. Inter have a quality one, Napoli are settled.

If not Liverpool, perhaps somewhere like Dortmund? There really doesn't seem to be very many good options at all for Hart, unless there is movement elsewhere in the market. West Ham?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:30 pm 
Acclaimed member

Is he even willing to go abroad? There doesn't seem a Prem rush for him, even Everton who were highly linked with him have ruled it out. Wages and "is it really worth angering our first choice keeper for a loan deal?" maybe plays a part but does feel like Prem clubs aren't rating him as highly as the media does.

What is also intresting is how in or two cases, like Hart, the media and others act as if manager dropping a player is a crime rather then a manager's job. I'm surprised the media aren't suing Man City on behalf of poor Joe Hart

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:09 pm 
Acclaimed member

Question answered - he's off on loan to, err, Torino!

Transfers heating up across the league. West Brom break their transfer record for Chadli, Leicester seem to have landed Adrien Silva from Sporting for around £21m and appear to be about to sign his teammate Islam Slimani for nearly £35m. Southampton have broken their transfer record too, paying £22m for Sofiane Boufal.

I love how aggressive Leicester have been in this window.

Chelsea have apparently bid £25m for former Sunderland defender Marcos Alonso. How many overpriced leftbacks can one club sign over such a small space of time :yikes:

Post subject: Re: Premier League 2015/16
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:33 pm 
Acclaimed member

£30m, Moussa Sissoko.

Spurs, that is embarrassing.

Post subject: Re: Premier League 2015/16
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:19 pm 

LoneGunner wrote:
£30m, Moussa Sissoko.

Is it any wonder why foreign clubs have a different value on players for English clubs. They are all stupid enough to pay those prices.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:10 pm 
Acclaimed member

I do wonder sometimes about the conduct of players and agents in these types of negotiations and whether clubs factor this into their decision making. I know transfer deadline day is a strange day in football but Sissoko has not covered himself in glory here.

Hopefully Spurs have bought the Sissoko that was largely anonymous at Newcastle and worth a fraction of the 30 million they have paid for him rather than the one that played reasonably well for Les Bleus in the Euro's.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:57 pm 

Tubzinho wrote:
I do wonder sometimes about the conduct of players and agents in these types of negotiations and whether clubs factor this into their decision making. I know transfer deadline day is a strange day in football but Sissoko has not covered himself in glory here.

Hopefully Spurs have bought the Sissoko that was largely anonymous at Newcastle and worth a fraction of the 30 million they have paid for him rather than the one that played reasonably well for Les Bleus in the Euro's.

Agents are the ones who flex the most muscles around this time of year, I often wonder if similar to what I said in the England thread applies to them too, how much they will put a player off signing for a particular club because the managers have not dealt with their "clients" well on previous occasions i.e new contracts, how much sway they have because a few of their guys play for one particular club etc... You probably as a manager hardly see or speak to these guys, maybe once or twice a year when it is time for renewals or moving on players, I wonder how many times players actually speak to their agents, whether it is a monthly thing that they touch base with eachother or is it only when they are unhappy and want to move on.

It is funny how there were reports that Sturridge's agents were trying to force a loan move to Arsenal late last night, which did make me think, did Sturridge say he was unhappy or did his agents do it to try and enhance their stock, kind of similar to if you are a player and unwanted you would bring them in in the old days and say I have an offer for you from (insert club here), you aren't wanted here so I suggest talking to them sort of situation.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:52 pm 
Acclaimed member

LoneGunner wrote:
£30m, Moussa Sissoko.

Thought Chelsea paying around £60m to bring back Sideshow Bob and buy yet another substandard left back was embarrassing comedic!! What on earth possessed them? Thought Chelsea did exceptionally well to sell Luiz for what they did in the first place and he's hardly the ideal defender (if you even class him as one) for this team to steady the defense. I'd have rather bought no-one than splashed out on that guy. Same with Alonso. Stinks of quintessential panic buying big time.