It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Premier League 2016-17
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:14 pm 

I resent your insinuations swanny200. The ethics agents follow are beyond reproach, they have only their clients best interests at heart. Not a single one would ever put themselves before... :wave:

Yeah, you never know if it is the player or the agents instigating things. I'm sure its a bit of both, along with 'advice' from friends and family thrown into the mix.

Here in the US for various sports it is a range depending on the player and their needs, but ultimately how much they are potentially worth to an agent. Some have hardly any contact with their agents, while for others contact with their agent is daily. Some agents are mother, father, best 'friend', agent, nanny, accountant, investment adviser, publicist, and errand runner.

The movie Jerry Maguire and the television show Airle$$ are caricatures, but do hold some truth.

Post subject: Re: Premier League 2015/16
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:18 pm 
Acclaimed member

LoneGunner wrote:
£30m, Moussa Sissoko.

Spurs, that is embarrassing.

I'm not sure where he fits into the team, are they going to use him wide like Newcastle and France? Also that attitude of his.

Woody wrote:
Thought Chelsea paying around £60m to bring back Sideshow Bob and buy yet another substandard left back was embarrassing comedic!! What on earth possessed them? Thought Chelsea did exceptionally well to sell Luiz for what they did in the first place and he's hardly the ideal defender (if you even class him as one) for this team to steady the defense. I'd have rather bought no-one than splashed out on that guy. Same with Alonso. Stinks of quintessential panic buying big time.

Pretty much panic buy. Conte badly needed defensive reinforcements, they couldn't land anyone so they ended up buying back a guy they discovered was available and paying way over the odds for Alonso.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:19 pm 
Acclaimed member

Woody wrote:
Thought Chelsea did exceptionally well to sell Luiz for what they did in the first place

Still think that was one of the shadiest deals I've seen.

I just can't fathom what Spurs are looking at. Sissoko is dogshit; six good games at the outset of his Newcastle career, nothing since. He is a once a month player; one game in five where he'll have a few runs through midfield, beat a couple of players and will earn some tired 'Vieira' cliché, occasionally might put in a good cross too.

£30m for no goals, no assists, no heart, no consistency, no tackling ability, no aggression. And, to top it off, he's not better than the two they have in deep midfield, he's not better than Alli in attacking midfield, and he's not better than Lamela at right midfield. They've just paid £30m for a bloke who can cover a few positions and contribute little in every single one of them.

Alonso for £25m is mental. That must put him in the top 5 most expensive fullbacks? I quite liked him at Sunderland, but he's the sort of player where Wenger will pick up a better version for £6m.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:19 pm 
Acclaimed member

If ever a decision outlines just how bankrupt football is, Leicester have encapsulated it.

A club who have achieved virtually nothing worthwhile in 133 years. Fuck them, hope they go down.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:40 am 
Acclaimed member

Yep, hope they go down now. Horrible decision, and they shouldn't be rewarded for treating managers like flavours of the month. I doubt the players will be particularly galvanised to do any better than they'd been doing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:04 am 

Couldn't agree more and who in their right mind would want to take the job and work for that board now?

Of course there will be takers.

Football today in a nutshell. :tut:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:56 pm 

I had a soft spot for Leicester because of Ranieri, he didn't deserve what has happened.

For anyone who says last year is a complete fluke is wrong, the guy instilled a spirit in that team, something which we ourselves have lacked, to win the PL with that team was an amazing feat and nobody could have thought they could replicate that this season, especially with Kante and Kramaric going and their replacements not being of the same calibre.

But to sack the guy after taking them into the CL knockouts and getting a vital away goal against Sevilla is outrageous although apparently the writing was on the wall after they lost to Millwall in the cup.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:19 pm 
Acclaimed member

That club should be erecting a statue of him outside the King Power or renaming a stand after him. What they achieved last season = Ranieri.

Even if they were to go down, a club like that simply has to show loyalty, stick by their man, give him the chance to rebuild a squad that will fight for him. Again the manager takes the flak rather than any players. Billy big bollocks Vardy with his book, movie and fat new contract, hasn't showed up this season. Mahrez, nothing. Huth and Morgan are playing like two nervous lovers on their first date. Fuchs, poor. And the rest - Simpson and Albrighton - have just returned to what they are anyway, average Premier League footballers.

That club has no divine right to be in this league. But the owners have clearly taken a look at how Hull and Swansea have bounced under Silva and Clement and decided they fancy some of that. They have also ensured that on no occasion can they expect loyalty from any player.

Leicester have been rubbish this season, even topping my 'outside the top 10' prediction, but they've taken the cheap and easy way out here.

Fuck 'em all.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:29 pm 

LoneGunner wrote:
That club should be erecting a statue of him outside the King Power or renaming a stand after him. What they achieved last season = Ranieri.

Even if they were to go down, a club like that simply has to show loyalty, stick by their man, give him the chance to rebuild a squad that will fight for him. Again the manager takes the flak rather than any players. Billy big bollocks Vardy with his book, movie and fat new contract, hasn't showed up this season. Mahrez, nothing. Huth and Morgan are playing like two nervous lovers on their first date. Fuchs, poor. And the rest - Simpson and Albrighton - have just returned to what they are anyway, average Premier League footballers.

That club has no divine right to be in this league. But the owners have clearly taken a look at how Hull and Swansea have bounced under Silva and Clement and decided they fancy some of that. They have also ensured that on no occasion can they expect loyalty from any player.

Leicester have been rubbish this season, even topping my 'outside the top 10' prediction, but they've taken the cheap and easy way out here.

Fuck 'em all.

If the odds were 5000/1 on them winning at the beginning of last season, I wonder what odds you would have got in the bookies for them to win last season and go down the next :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:32 pm 
Acclaimed member

Board did right thing in my view, sad as it is.

1) Are Leicester in danger of going down? Yes, I think given they could be in relegation zone this weekend, nobody can dispute that.

2) Do Ranieri. and players look like turning it around? For me, no. Ranieri has clearly lost the players, he is struggling to find the right team and shape, they are in freefall. Something has to change.

3) Is going down a good thing? No. Either way, they remain former Prem champions but staying in Prem is all positives. When rebuilding team, easier to keep players they want, attract the players they want, will get more money for players (those they didn't want to go and those they wanted to ship out), more revenue from TV and sponsorship, money to invest in the club infrastructure, a chance for a secure future, can build towards being a midtable Prem club and stability. Will be a few sackings (three at moment, maybe one or two when new manager comes in, maybe a few hired for CL) but we are talking tens here.

They go down, harder to attract players, harder to shift players they want to lose, harder to keep the players they want to keep, get less money from sales as seen as vulnerable and without Prem premium by buyers. Less money coming in so out goes investment, in comes cost cutting and not just in the club but businesses in the city where football brings money in. Hundreds of jobs within the club go, jobs in other business within the city would also go. Ranieri being a gentleman, Ranieri winning the title, none of that would help pay their bills if they lose their jobs.

4) There is a guarantee of bouncing straight back up? No (and those jobs won't automatically go to those who lost it even if they do). It took Leicester a long time (nine seasons, including a relegation) last time to get to Prem, why would it be different this time? Forest were loyal to Clough and have paid for it ever since. If down after parachute payments stop, the job losses will grow.

5) How to stop relegation: In an ideal world, players be replaced and time stopped so Ranieri can train players worthy of him. That can't happen but by replacing manager who had lost the dressing room, they can hope the new manager can galvanise the players and bring something fresh to keep the club up and save people's jobs.

6) Whose to blame: The board to some extent, how did their transfer system work once Walsh left, have they nipped players behaviour in the bud, have they been slow to react to events? Raneri brought badly in summer and seemed to struggle with Kante's lost. I don't buy some of the rumours coming out of the dressing room given it goes against Raneri's career, personality and such a struggle is unlike him.

Number 1 though is the players. In the summer, Raneri worked hard to build the team, the players got involved in transfer saga's, scandal and living "the good life". Some have not shown the attitude or even in some cases, basic professionalism, needed and the bad mouthing of the manager does not paint them in a good light. They need a clear out in the summer of some rotten eggs. In the players vs the manager stories, people are not likely to believe slurs against a gentleman's character and one of them has had a strong career, most of this squad have not.

Leicester should make a statue of Raneri, name a stand after him, ask the TV studio's to put by player names "loser who got Raneri sacked." He deserves every reward the club can think of but life is ruthless and people who lose their jobs if they went down have ever right to expect club to do utmost to stop that happening. Will need a player rehual in summer. Raneri knew he was joining a ruthless board when he took over from Pearson.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:17 am 

Leicester 3 Liverpool 1 !

...and this is why I detest the modern day footballer so much.

Ranieri is sacked and within 4 days these players are conveniently back to title winning form.

I can forgive poor form, being low in confidence but I will never forgive not giving 100% effort and these Leicester players have been guilty of the latter for the best part of this season. Scumbags.

Even if you don't see eye to eye with a manager you don't down tools, you play for the fans who come to support you, the club who pay your extortianate wages and if nothing else your own personal pride.

Liverpool didn't exactly cover themselves in glory last night so I dare say we can expect a miraculous turn around of their form on Saturday too, I hope our boys realise this now and are preparing to be ready to go from the very first second!?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:58 am 
Acclaimed member

I agree, their performance left a sour taste in the mouth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:31 pm 
Acclaimed member

If Barca ever come knocking for Hector Bellerin, we need to freelance Daniel Levy to negotiate the deal.

If Kyle Walker is a £50m fullback, what price Bellerin on a 6-year contract?!

Guardiola. Said it before, but when he doesn't have an outlandish selection of players at a huge advantage, he is vastly overhyped. He is another chequebook manager like Mourinho. Good work if you can get it, I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:53 am 

LoneGunner wrote:
Guardiola. Said it before, but when he doesn't have an outlandish selection of players at a huge advantage, he is vastly overhyped. He is another chequebook manager like Mourinho. Good work if you can get it, I suppose.

Couldn't agree more, and indeed, I remember you saying this quite a long time ago - maybe even when Guardiola went to Bayern. This is the first time he hasn't got a phenomenal squad at this disposal, and what I have seen so far isn't overly impressive. It certainly doesn't justify the hype created around him (to a large degree: created by himself).