It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: FA Cup Final 5.30pm (UK)
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:18 am 

Chelsea have a fully fit squad and we have half a defence. Doesn't bode well.

Post subject: Re: FA Cup Final 5.30pm (UK)
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:58 am 
Acclaimed member

Will be a tough ask given Chelsea are a stronger side with everyone fully fit on both sides, our patched up defence will need a lot of help from midfield and Wenger has some difficult choices on how to set up the backline. Hopefully we can give Chelsea a good game and maybe we can get a win to give a much needed smile for the summer

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:29 pm 

Chelsea CAN beaten! We beat them and we are coming into the game on the back of a magnificent run! With players missing its an opportunity for others in the squad to step up. We become a bit of an unknown/unpredictable proposition for Chelsea, and if they are not concentrating after all their celebrations we can win it!

Chelsea have a slow defence - pace can catch them out. Hopefully self praising wrinkly one spends less time on bullshit excuses and more time on tactics

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:19 pm 

Can't see anything other than a Chelsea win, hopefully not one of those thrashings we've suffered to them and others in the past. I'm usually quite negative though, so I really want to be wrong. We stunk the place out in 2005 and still won so who knows? Silverware is silverware and I want us to win lots of it.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:57 pm 
Acclaimed member

I presume that is a switch to a back 4, unless we have gone rogue and used Oxlade-Chamberlain as the left wingback.

I know it is the 'done thing', but I really have to question using a GK just returning from injury behind a backline that is already shorn of so much quality. I don't understand that, we are playing for silverware here and already playing at a massive disadvantage. Ospina and Mertesacker making their first start in months.

No defenders left to put on the bench means only one outcome - Mertesacker will be off by the 20th minute.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:11 pm 

Fucking Ozil...

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:15 pm 

Get in, Ramsey!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:31 pm 

So fucking happy!!!! Never saw it coming and so proud to be wrong and talking utter shit before the game. Unbelievable. BFG I love you, Arsenal I love you. Thought it was a foul on Ozil before the equaliser but irrelevant now. 13 FA Cups, 13 titles. Well done ref for having the balls to send off an English player for diving. I'm going to go and drink beer. Happy FA Cup day everyone :cheers:

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:31 pm 

Awesome performance.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:43 pm 
Acclaimed member

What a result that is.

Better team for most of the game, by a distance and in adversity, and should have racked up more - and that was even before the Moses red card. I could not choose between Mertesacker, Xhaka or Sanchez for the man of the match, the three of them were absolutely magnificent.

For once we also didn't end up in a negative situation in a final; whether through stupidity or a red card, and actually earned a man advantage by forcing Chelsea into desperation. Superb decision by a ref who could easily have either been fooled or taken the easy way out too.

And yet there still has to be a reporter on the pitch trying to query Wenger about his future right at the end of the game. The media in this country are pish.

This isn't a dick-move question in the exuberance of an FA Cup win but I'm going to throw out a question; Arsenal have had a better season than Spurs, Man City and Liverpool? Discuss.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:53 pm 

Good question... Ultimately is the minimum requirement a Top 4 finish?

I would suggest that Chelsea were so dominant this season because they weren't distracted by European Football. I'm interested to see the transfer activity this summer.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:58 pm 

muckygooner wrote:
Chelsea CAN beaten! We beat them and we are coming into the game on the back of a magnificent run! With players missing its an opportunity for others in the squad to step up. We become a bit of an unknown/unpredictable proposition for Chelsea, and if they are not concentrating after all their celebrations we can win it!

Chelsea have a slow defence - pace can catch them out. Hopefully self praising wrinkly one spends less time on bullshit excuses and more time on tactics

What a superb cup final! Passion, effort, desire, pace... was I the only one that was positive for this one?

Today the team and Arsene all did us proud! What a way to finish a horrible season!

Don't be sadistic and torture yourself and the fans - Accept that you can't push this club forward. Let someone else to have a go at lead this great club. Arsene for god sake hold your head up, be proud, and leave on a high now!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:03 pm 
Acclaimed member

muckygooner wrote:
What a superb cup final! Passion, effort, desire, pace... was I the only one that was positive for this one?

I thought we'd be competitive, but the loss of the defensive players would ultimately prove too much.

I did not envisage any situation where we'd start and continue with such crisp interplay and cut Chelsea to ribbons time and again. That is the most impressive of all Wenger's seven FA Cup wins, all things considered.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:42 pm 

LG it's a cup final. A one off game where the underdogs (us in this game) go to a neutral venue under no pressure - not winning he cup is hardly going to make any Arsenal feel worse after a poor season and the low expectations everyone has.

In fact, without pressure Arsenal can do fantastically well, but as soon as the pressure is on Arsene players just buckle. Not just this season - for at least 6 seasons. Arsene bangs on about mental strength- under pressure its the one thing that we have lacked for a long time. Mental strength cannot be programmed - it's within the makeup of real winners - the type of players that Wenger avoids.

For me every player played with energy (particularly off the ball) that overwhelmed Chelsea. Sanchez - real winner - pushed the entire team and today hey followed his lead. However, Mertesacker was simply awesome today and for me our best player. Right time to really celebrate and!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:22 pm 
Acclaimed member

So proud of them. A fantastic performance all round, they battled and played superbly in the face of adversity and talk about save the best performance for last!

Thought the back three were absolutely brilliant, it's nice when a player talks up a performance and then puts it in like Mertesacker did today, he was my man of the match. Monreal and Holding were brilliant alongside him but he gets it because he has played 30 minutes of football all season and then puts a shift in like that. A captain's performance.

The query is why can those players that have quite convincingly beat the champions of this country today with a makeshift defence to that and yet can not get closer to the league title?

LoneGunner wrote:
This isn't a dick-move question in the exuberance of an FA Cup win but I'm going to throw out a question; Arsenal have had a better season than Spurs, Man City and Liverpool? Discuss.

In regards to our season, we have had a better season than Man City who have failed to win a trophy. But we haven't had a better season than the other two. Why? Because Spurs have done as well as they could, they have challenged for the title, pushed Chelsea closer than anyone else and improved on last season. Liverpool have got themselves back into the top four again and massively improved on last season.

Us? We were runners up last year, have the squad to challenge for the title and yet finished 5th. As sweet as the FA Cup is, we have underperformed this season. Two blinding games in the FA Cup (the semi and the final) show what the potential in this team is and when you look at their league position compared to those performances, you have to question where the team have been for those months of madness between January and April.