It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Forest v Arsenal
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:41 pm 
Acclaimed member

Classic Arsenal match so far. :lol:

Half-arsed second string team huffs and puffs, does nothing in particular, and Forest keep focused and exploit it. Seems that when we play lower league teams the only difference is whether they believe (correctly) that they can beat us, or not!

At 3-1 I was convinced we had no quality on the pitch to change it, but of course it's Danny Welbeck with his world class ability to make people around him become terrible and the ball to somehow roll into the net. I think his shot itself was going to go out for a throw before the keeper palmed it! :lol:

I'm skeptical, but who knows. One thing about these lower league teams is that they are also going to be a little less tight and secure at the back now.

Post subject: Re: Forest v Arsenal
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:43 pm 
Acclaimed member

Oh, there we go. :lol:

Credit to these players, in full support of their manager they have decided to make sure they give away two stone cold penalties and settle the debate.

Edit: But then, good old Jon Moss, fails to take the double-hit into account. :lol: I'm sure a retake would have gone in anyway, but it is nice of him to pour some fuel in where we doused cold water.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:04 pm 

Not really bothered - its only the FA Cup and we have more pressing priorities this season. We could do with less games to plat in the 2nd half of the season

Gotta question the mental strength (or lack of) of senior players like Walcott, and fringe players eager to get into the 1st team.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:34 pm 
Acclaimed member

Regardless of refereeing, the overall performance was not good enough. There was no creativity in the final third and whilst players like Nelson, Maitland-Niles and Willock you can give the benefit of the doubt to at this time due to a lack of experience, there was not enough from from the others. Debuchy seemed like the only one where a chance may come from and that really is saying something.

You will never get anything from Welbeck and Walcott in this regards either as both have shown they don't have a creative bone in their bodies and anything you get from them on that front is a bonus but Elneny and Iwobi were far too safe in possession. I think Wenger has told Elneny to try and be more ambitious but he just isn't that type of player. Iwobi was the most disappointing of the lot as he should have been capable but again has showed a lack of ability to really find the final pass against tight defences.

I do wonder if Iwobi has plateaued now and has now moved from exciting prospect into the good squad player category as whilst he is tidy and decent, he is not doing anything that is really going to catapult him into the first team reckoning any time soon (injury permitting).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:54 pm 

I think this game sums up what Arsenal currently are. Average !!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:58 pm 

I am genuinely worried about this season. Not long ago I used to say that we are 1-2 players away from being genuine title contenders. Now bearing in mind the (lack of) quality in the squad I’d say we are 1-2 players away from being mid table. And just think how many good players are in the last year of their contract...

Out of the FA Cup in the 3rd round. No Champions League football. 24pts off the league leaders in Jan (yes City are having an exceptional season but 5 defeats and GD way off pace). Why on earth did Wenger sign a new contract? How on earth was he allowed to do so? I just hope other teams above us have bad runs and we take advantage.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:29 am 

I'm disappointed, I like the FA Cup and we could have done a better job of defending it. I understand some of the changes, but don't see that we have a better chance of winning the Carabao if that's what we saved players for. Have to hope it pays off by the end of the season I suppose. Sad.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:54 am 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
Our defence is very worrying at the moment. We are shipping way too many goals from very bad defensive mistakes. Poor overloading in the box when attacking and a poor quality final ball were the issues yesterday. Reiss Nelson was probably the best player out there for us. On paper, we should hav ebeaten them but the defense was an absolute shambles. Very slow and not aggressive enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:19 pm 

Tubzinho wrote:
Regardless of refereeing, the overall performance was not good enough. There was no creativity in the final third and whilst players like Nelson, Maitland-Niles and Willock you can give the benefit of the doubt to at this time due to a lack of experience, there was not enough from from the others. Debuchy seemed like the only one where a chance may come from and that really is saying something.

You will never get anything from Welbeck and Walcott in this regards either as both have shown they don't have a creative bone in their bodies and anything you get from them on that front is a bonus but Elneny and Iwobi were far too safe in possession. I think Wenger has told Elneny to try and be more ambitious but he just isn't that type of player. Iwobi was the most disappointing of the lot as he should have been capable but again has showed a lack of ability to really find the final pass against tight defences.

I do wonder if Iwobi has plateaued now and has now moved from exciting prospect into the good squad player category as whilst he is tidy and decent, he is not doing anything that is really going to catapult him into the first team reckoning any time soon (injury permitting).

I agree with your critiques here Tubzinho. Especially on Iwobi, barring some epiphany on finishing I see little opportunity for improvement. His lack of creativity has been evident for some time. I had hoped that as he settled into the first team and became more comfortable he would express some creativity, but its apparent now he does not have it. Though adequate with enough creativity around him, that weakness becomes overly exposed in matches like this.