All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Arsenal vs Bayern Munich
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:37 pm 

Arsenal v Bayern Munich
UEFA Champions League
Tuesday 7th March 2017
Emirates Stadium
Kick-off: 19:45pm

Starting a thread for a laugh, we are due a miracle performance, right? :)

No Ozil.

Sanchez to start?

Post subject: Re: Arsenal vs Bayern Munich
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:56 pm 

block132 wrote:
Arsenal v Bayern Munich
UEFA Champions League
Tuesday 7th March 2017
Emirates Stadium
Kick-off: 19:45pm

Starting a thread for a laugh, we are due a miracle performance, right? :)

No Ozil.

Sanchez to start?

Assuming Welbz and Perez are eligible, watch as Sanchez is on the bench Welbeck scores one and Perez scores 4 just to annoy the travelling Bayern fans, we will still go out as Bayern will still score a couple.

Then watch as Wenger refuses to start Perez in the next game!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:20 pm 

This first half so far has been the best performance I've seen from us all season. Makes me even more annoyed at how shit we've been up to this point.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:04 pm 
Acclaimed member

Bayern have equalised, a penalty. And Koscielny sent off.

Ridiculous decision to red card Koscielny, there was no challenge on the ball but the players came together. A penalty and yellow card I can understand and the referee initially gave that until the official behind the goal told him to give him a red.

Anyway, its a disappointment because Arsenal were playing well and could have gotten a positive result with 11 men on the pitch which would have helped morale in the camp. Unfortunately now, it will be a matter of time before Bayern score another.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:10 pm 
Acclaimed member

And Robben scores. 1-2.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:26 pm 
Acclaimed member

These officials, seriously.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:26 pm 
Acclaimed member

1-4. Costa scored a third and showed his class by sucking his thiumb and giving an L sign to the Arsenal crowd. Arsenal then overplay at the back and concede a stupid goal.

I get that Koscielny's sending off was a blow. I get that Arsenal were up against it. But frankly there are players on that pitch right now that are not trying and are an embarrassment to the fans. They have given up. I know its been bad before but I can't ever remember an Arsene Wenger team giving up like this in such way.

EDIT: 1-5

This is a sad moment for Wenger. I genuinely feel for him. We've been shafted by the officials but after that, the players have disgraced him and the shirt.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:48 pm 

Yeah the players aren't responding to him anymore. I dunno I feel Wenger is paying for not addressing the problems of the past. On a good note the ox looks good in the middle.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:05 pm 

Great effort from the team first half - something I hardly ever see these days is good off-the-ball effort. Why the fuck don't they do this more often?

Poor refereeing decisions especially Koscielny being sent off - outrageous!

But what I saw after that is simply pathetic. You're at home and down to 10 men - it's only 1-1. Keep things respectable. Either they are thick or just a bunch of cowards - like so many times over recent years they allowed themselves to get raped.

Something is fundamentally wrong with the type of characterless players that Wenger buys - maybe he deliberately buys such players because they are easier to manage and tell what to do, as opposed to hungry ambitious passionate players who would threaten to leave when things aren't good (Sanchez?).There is no half decent team that collapses so easily and allow such bumholing to happen to them on such a regular basis.

Blame the refs all you want - we have some really deep seated issues which won't change until Wenger leaves

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:57 pm 

I fully expected us to get humiliated again. But the stuff that Wenger has come out with in the press conference actually worries me. It's one thing to protect players - although I would ask how they deserve to be protected - but it's another thing to be completely out of touch with reality.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:01 am 

Oh, and I hope you had a great time arcaliea! ;) :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:30 am 

I thought it was a good match and a very good performance from us up to the point of the penalty and sending off.

OK Bayern were defending a 4 goal cushion so they weren't going to be tearing around the pitch fighting for their lives but we at least looked up for it from the first whistle. My question would be why today can they perform like that and not the dross they've been serving up lately, and I ask that of the players not the manager? Closing down was excellent, first touches were sticking, good movement, great runs from the Ox, Theo, Alexis, Nacho etc...

Realistically we were never going through tonight and after the sending off we were always going lose the match. Even if we had tried to defend the 1-1 what would that have mattered, maybe we would have lost 1-2 or 1-3... Who cares?

I'd like to see that first half performance replicated for the rest of the season and then I'd be asking why it was missing when it mattered most.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:09 am 
Acclaimed member

Jules wrote:
Oh, and I hope you had a great time arcaliea! ;) :lol:

I was sitting right in front of this gentleman, but I had left after 1-3! :lol:

One of the reasons being the fellow in black spent the whole second half yelling out, in a nasal Northern accent, how Ramsey is utter shit and Wenger is killing our club.

For the match itself, I'm actually not too fussed. It was always an impossible job. We gave it a great go and played good football until the penalty/red - which had the entire stadium utterly confused. it was right below me at clock end and it was hard to tell in real time, but why would you issue a yellow, and then basically change your mind? I thought that's the golden rule for refs to never remand their decisions? Wenger is right about one thing - the ref, and his assistants, were pretty awful and would be the focus if the game was competitively meaningful. Anyway, Bayern are scary in how they step it up to take the chance given, and with ten men it was always game over.

The stadium had plenty of seats from kickoff and increasingly more after that. I felt like I was at a long funeral dirge. I'm not so much Wenger Out as to accepting the sheer inevitability that the time is up. For Wenger - and all of us real fans who supported the club (which includes some Wenger Out folks, but doesn't include the morons that think he doesn't care about the club or whatever such deluded nonsense) - life had given us the time to make the last hurrah, and I think it was last season. Now, everything feels a bit surreal, like a zombie club - no dreams, no prospects, just what remains of the club's quality being squandered as we stretch out the farewell.

As for Alexis Sanchez? I'm not the sort to pathetically obsess about some footballer's every wave and chuckle. His actual performance was subpar - he was brilliant when dribbling sideways out of trouble, a la Cazorla, but his poor passing meant he wasn't creating too much. He's a great player with well defined flaws, as he always has been, and we'll be poorer off without him, that's all there is to it.

Now I'm going to get myself some good curry before flying out. The best part? An email from an Arsenal tickets person wanting to discuss platinum level membership! Half a mind to reply and say 'you must be having a laugh', but I know he's just doing his job. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:08 pm 

I see the media are going way over the top as per, jumping on the being embarrassed angle.

It must be just me but I really don't feel embarrased about last night.

Firstly we were playing Bayern Munich not some tinpot side from Kazakryanstan. Secondly we were playing really well up until the sending off.

I don't know which side having been thumped 5-1 in the first leg, which I grant was the embarrasing/annoying part, would not have just downed tools.

Honestly what use/difference is a 6-2 defeat as opposed to a 10-2, really makes no diffence to me at all as I know it's the away leg when this was lost, 100-2 wouldn't have bothered me last night.

Cracking goal by Theo by the way :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:40 pm 

block132 wrote:
It must be just me but I really don't feel embarrased about last night

You lost me at precisely this line.