It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Arsenal vs FC Cologne Uefa Europa League
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:57 pm 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
Incredible that this sub forum is still called Champions League, :lol:

So, we go into a new era of being part of the Uefa Europa League. :D We go into this competition as the highest seeded team. Our opponents, Cologne, are rock bottom of the Bundesliga, having lost all their games so far this season. I think we will win this comfortably seeing as we are at home and will gain more confidence going into the Chelsea game.

Post subject: Re: Arsenal vs FC Cologne Uefa Europa League
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:22 pm 
Acclaimed member

Hopefully, we won't need to bother changing it!

If we play it right, yes, it gives us some rotation, fitness, confidence ahead of the weekend. But hey, we are Arsenal...

Nelson, Wilshere, Giroud, Chambers, Holding all a must for me, players that are going to play a role this season and need the game time. Less sure about Debuchy or Mertesacker (or Walcott, for that matter, but I'm sure we'll see him).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:56 pm 

Yeah I'd go with that TSE. Reine-Adelaide maybe? Not on loan or injured is he, so would he be a fit in midfield over Wilshere/El Neny?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:25 am 

Team South East wrote:
Incredible that this sub forum is still called Champions League, :lol:

:lol:

Let's leave it like that, for the sake of the good old times.

I'm looking forward to see some different players getting a chance.

We should comfortably beat Köln. Anthony Modeste more or less single-handedly shot them into the Europa League with 25 goals last season. He has gone to China now, and without them, Köln are a very mediocre side.

Going to watch this in Cologne with some die hard Köln fans. Don't let me down, Arsenal! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:39 am 
Acclaimed member

Modeste was a beast for Koln. In theory these should be our strongest opponents, but with Chelsea on sunday we can't take any risks with the lineup. I would go:

Ospina

Nelson
Chambers
Mertesacker
Holding
Monreal

Elneny
Willock

Welbeck
Giroud
Walcott

And Monreal only gets a game because Maitland-Niles was exceptionally unconvincing in pre-season. I'm assuming Iwobi is still injured, but I'd start him at left wingback if he's fit. I presume Sanchez will replace Welbeck on sunday, however it could even be Lacazette. Either way; whichever one isn't due to play on Sunday, I'd start here. Either Welbeck gets a chance to continue his reasonable form, or Lacazette gets minutes to build himself into the squad.

The Group stage is all about Reiss Nelson for me, what a player he is.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:44 am 

We will be without Cech, Lacazette, Welbeck, Xhaka, Özil, and Ramsey. Koscielny is suspended.

Alexis will probably start, other than that, it's a pretty lightweight squad. Which is fine with me as long as we give Chelsea a proper game at the weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:41 pm 

Prediction - Walcott with a brace.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:48 pm 
Acclaimed member

Looks like a 4231

Ospina

Bellerin
Holding
Mertesacker
Monreal

Elneny
Maitland-Niles

Walcott
Iwobi
Sanchez

Giroud

Kickoff delayed by an hour though, as 20,000 Cologne fans seem to have congregated outside the ground and more than the 2900 allocation are actually inside.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:53 pm 

Isn't this the Champions League section.

1-0 Fc Cologne half time.

Need to move the ball a lot faster. Had chances but yet to get a decent shot on target. Iwobi needs to do more in midfield, way to timid.

Last edited by DUSTCORE on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:57 pm 
Acclaimed member

0-1 h/t

Cordoba chipping Ospina from 40 yards after he'd played sweeper keeper but scuffed his kick.

We are 3421 with Iwobi partnering Elneny and Maitland-Niles at left wingback.

It's really muddled thinking to me. Bellerin is a better rightback than wingback, Monreal a better leftback than centreback, Iwobi better further forward, and Maitland-Niles is about as penetrating as a fart in a hurricane. Surely that selection of personnel lends itself more to flat four, with Elneny sitting infront of the backline and allowing Niles and Iwobi more licence further ahead?

Either way, Elneny has been our only player in this first half. Everyone else very ordinary and we are fluffing simple passes in the final third with abandon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:58 pm 
Acclaimed member

Half time: Arsenal 0-1 Koln

What a load of shit. Koln are terrible and yet as bad as they are we still gift them a goal. Arsenal have had all the ball and yet done nothing with it. No urgency, no desire, just a whole load of Sanchez kicking the ball out to touch, Giroud trying to score a header from 20 yards out, Theo Walcott either losing the ball or falling over the ball and mediocre players being.. well, mediocre.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:11 pm 

Get in there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:57 pm 
Acclaimed member

Full time: Arsenal 3-1 Koln

Better second half, more urgency and sharpness in the final third. Good goals from Kolasinac, Sanchez and Bellerin and there was also some good one touch football to enjoy as well. Pity we were nowhere first half and couldn't have scored more.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:22 pm 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
:chill: :chill:

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!! :lol: :lol: Victorious in Europe for a change. Elneny or Mertesacker man of the match for me. I thought they were solid. Maitland Niles was soo much better in midfield. Balance looked good when e went to 4-3-3 in the 2nd half. Nice cameos from Nelson and Wilshere!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:06 am 
Acclaimed member

One thing this game really shows, I think, is that the problems we have with the formation is not down to individual personnel. Contrary to the theory that it's all down to Ramsey's whims, we saw today Iwobi clearly instructed to push up - meaning if Elneny was committed, e.g. on the right wing where Koln did much of their buildup on the first half, our centre was just entirely uncovered. It was uncanny to see Elneny (Xhaka role) and Holding (Mustafi role) bring the ball up and everyone else wait at the penalty box - it seems clear that our gameplan was to have those two put in through balls, which seems ludicrous to me. I thought Elneny did well, especially to cover the defence, but he was put in a position where he's asked to do things beyond his skillset and always mop up the mess as well.

Also yet another game showing why we should have kept Szczsney instead of Ospina. Ospina's very good backup for sure, but given how often we play him in order to keep him, we get to see him make clangers on a regular basis. The goal wasn't all his fault with our defenders not closing him down, but on their offside chance he spilled the cross then completely missed the rebound, would have given away a penalty. Just not convinced.

Holding had a nightmare from minute one, but he's a young player and that will happen - no big worry as long as it doesn't happen regularly, and Wenger made the right sub at half time. We looked immediately more comfortable with an additional body in central midfield, and it was Alexis dropping back more as well to actually have Arsenal players in the centre that allowed us to create the goalscoring chance. Great work from Kolasinac.

Alexis looked Alexis, that is good, but way too many overhit passes show he's not fully fit... and of course he still managed to score an outstanding goal. I was yelling at him not to try yet another inside cut shot that isn't on, but he made it work, getting that extra step away from the defender. Incredible. (Then immediately after, passes to the opposition for no reason whatsoever.)

Bellerin looks to have recovered some of his speed and his confidence. Good goal from him after Walcott fluffed it.

Ultimately, the game raises more questions. Koln didn't have the quality to push on and we had the quality to come back, but can we continue with the 3 back when it - or rather, the specific version of it Wenger tries to play - doesn't really work with our first XI and works even worse withour second XI? How can it, in particular, rehabilitate the likes of Iwobi and give them a suitable role in the team? With the players we have that are nearly good enough but flawed in key ways, such as Mertesacker, Elneny, Holding, Walcott, are we going to be able to make them an asset rather than a liability?