It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Europa League
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:55 pm 

Yeah, the level of competition is ratcheting up. Here is the entire draw.

Round of 16 draw
Lazio (ITA) v Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)
Leipzig (GER) v Zenit (RUS)
Atlético Madrid (ESP) v Lokomotiv Moskva (RUS)
CSKA Moskva (RUS) v Lyon (FRA)
Marseille (FRA) v Athletic Club (ESP)
Sporting CP (POR) v Plzeň (CZE)
Dortmund (GER) v Salzburg (AUT)
AC Milan (ITA) v Arsenal (ENG)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:53 pm 

As for the last match,
I would be happy to never see Calum Chambers or Danny Welbeck play for us again. Chambers OG to open the scoring was inane, you are never going to clear running back to goal and stretching with your toe, either let it go and hope it is wide, which it was, or get your ass on the ground and get a serious block in. Failure to get tight only 30 seconds later allowed an easy shot for the second. Not hammering on him just for these mistakes, I simply don't think he is good enough and this has been a feeling long growing. It is either that or our inability to coach defense. Welbeck has basically become the new Diaby, occasionally tantalizing, but injured more than he is worth and ultimately disappointing when he is not.

Fantastic skill on the volley by Kolasinac to wait and keep the shot down, you could see it was going in before he even struck it just by the calm in his eyes. Other than that though, he was shit. I still feel it is most likely the recovery from injury or lack of coaching to blame. I don't see how he can go from what he was in Germany and the start he had here to his present state and it not be. Baffling.

Its early, level of competition, some mistakes and all that, but I am very happy with Maitland-Niles in his midfield role. Partnering Elneny is not optimal, I think he will fit much better with Wilshere or Ramsey back there. We will see.

Iwobi has plateaued and needs something to spur his development, like coaching. In this match, there was way too much of having his man beat to the end line stopping to let the defender catch up and then playing the ball back into the middle because there is nowhere to go. Keep going and put in a fucking cross once and awhile, if only for variety.

Jack failed to create much of anything, looking a bit tired to me before getting subbed off.

Mkhitaryan was off a little on his passing this match, but he had several through balls or reverse passes that he made only to have the other player fail or outright refuse to run into the space and receive it.

Rereading this just before posting and it is scary the number of times I mentioned coaching.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:08 pm 

Coaching... sssh! Don’t you ever EVER suggest on here that the coach is to blame. Swear at the players. Be crude about the club owners. But treat the coach with more respect than your mother/father/god.

Game(s) to forget. Move on to AC Milan - a team we will probably beat.

Oh god - we have another season of this shit to watch.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:51 pm 

Iwobi needs more than coaching. He needs a miracle. Shit excuse of an Arsenal player.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:21 pm 
Acclaimed member

Iwobi no worse yesterday than any of the other attacking quartet. Nine players on the pitch who are not part of Arsenal's first-choice XI and should be busting their balls to get into the first team, but little evidence that any of them give much of a concern.

Scored a goal to get back in the game and everyone instantly fucked off straight back to the sauna, where they had been for the opening 45mins. There should be more professional pride than to allow a club barely a pinprick on the European radar, playing their first season of European football - no matter who they have knocked out - to come to the Arsenal and win. With ease.

Milan next round, a side even worse than we are despite a £200m outlay. We avoided the best three sides, Madrid, Lazio and Leipzig, so that is something.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:52 pm 

LoneGunner wrote:
Iwobi no worse yesterday than any of the other attacking quartet. Nine players on the pitch who are not part of Arsenal's first-choice XI and should be busting their balls to get into the first team, but little evidence that any of them give much of a concern.

Scored a goal to get back in the game and everyone instantly fucked off straight back to the sauna, where they had been for the opening 45mins. There should be more professional pride than to allow a club barely a pinprick on the European radar, playing their first season of European football - no matter who they have knocked out - to come to the Arsenal and win. With ease.

Milan next round, a side even worse than we are despite a £200m outlay. We avoided the best three sides, Madrid, Lazio and Leipzig, so that is something.

No he wasn't. What he is however is probably one of the most unproductive attacking players ever to play in the league. And week by week he just looks more and more out of place in our shirt.

If him and Welbeck were 100m sprinters they'd do the first 95m in 8 seconds and the last 5m in about three weeks.

We were shocking last night. Deserved what we got. Could argue we actually deserved to go out. The players were egotistical and too laissez-faire. Not aided by the actually sub standard dross that some of them are.

Last night was the perfect opportunity for the likes of Iwobi and Welbeck to lay a marker. All they layed was stool

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:04 pm 
Acclaimed member

I don't get the focus on Iwobi. I think everybody would agree that he's plateau'd and that he's not good enough to play as much as he has.

But he's not really a part of our biggest problems - the way we defend, the way the team is led (by the coach and by senior players), the way far more senior players like Welbeck and Xhaka can't do their job to even Iwobi's level of competency.

The problem is that while Iwobi should be one of our up and coming backups, and Welbeck should be out of the club, right now they are just behind our small number of star players. Ironic that it wasn't so long ago we at least had depth!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:56 pm 

The focus on Iwobi is because he's pants. It's like trying to attack with a pawn. Fed up of the majority of the drivel in our our first team let alone our squad. We've got scope and had scope to drop Iwobi but Wenger at no point has chose too. It's an embarrassment. On the plus side at least we didn't pay 30m+ for him like the disaster artists in Xhaka and Mustafi.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:33 am 

Balboa wrote:
We've got scope and had scope to drop Iwobi but Wenger at no point has chose to.

This is a good example of Wengers narcissism - he seems to have inner belief that Iwobi (like other mediocre players past and present) will prove him right eventually and thus he keeps on playing him at the expense of the team. It’s the same with tactics and player signings too - proving his point is more important than seeing the the truth of what’s actually happening

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:47 am 

muckygooner wrote:
This is a good example of Wengers narcissism - he seems to have inner belief that Iwobi (and other mediocre players past and present) will prove him right eventually and thus he keeps on playing him at the expense of the team. It’s the same with tactics and player signings too. His opinions are more important than reality.

It's frightening. Year after year. There's always someone who no matter what will always get a chance just because. The same will apply to Xhaka and Mustafi. All three, based on what they've shown in an Arsenal shirt, I don't want on the Arsenal bench. Yet every week, they start. Irrespective if they've been the oppositions 12th, 13th and 14th men the week before.

The mans stubbornness and arrogance is far beyond his ability.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:02 am 
Acclaimed member

Well, I'd happily see an Arsenal first XI without any of them, to be sure - but now, having spent so much money elsewhere, I suspect we'll see at least a couple of them for a while. We've sold fringe players (rightly so), we've gotten good players (rightly so), but that means we're dependent on subpar players elsewhere until we can replace them too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:42 am 

AC MILAN VS ARSENAL

7th place in Serie A vs 6th place in the PL. Looking at form over the season we are closely matched. Unfortunately we are in the middle of some really bad form and they have picked up theirs - it’s a really tough ask to get something out of this game.

I don’t know much about AC Milan this season, but for us I think a game away from England may just be the best scenario right now especially with the flak the media and fans are giving. They have a rookie manager whilst we have one with experience - a draw or even a win is possible. As long as we don’t take a heavy defeat we have a chance in the return leg.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:03 pm 

Not sure how but we are 2-0 up, as my stream has been very dodgy. Missed the first goal by Mkhitaryan, but Ramsey deftly around the goalkeeper on a through ball from Ozil for the second just seconds from the end of the half.

From what I have seen it has been fairly even, but our lack of defensive mistakes has given us a platform to work from and we find ourselves in a very positive position.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:09 pm 

Ospina did try to gift a header to them by failing to claim a corner cross because he wasn't arsed enough to try to take it at its peak instead thinking he could sit back and let it come to him. Lucky.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:14 pm 
Acclaimed member

0-2 and deserved, it should have been more.

We have smoked them on the counter and their defence is spinning in circles trying to stop our penetration on the left-hand side. We have had one or two risky moments but have been by far the more composed side up to now.

LoneGunner wrote:
Milan next round, a side even worse than we are despite a £200m outlay.

But this still stands.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next