It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Europa League
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:05 pm 

Will watch highlights later; from what Kelly Smith has been saying on SSN, it sounds like we played really well? Great away result. Long term, could well be a fart in a hurricane but nonetheless, well done to everyone and very happy tonight :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:33 pm 
Acclaimed member

Emperor wrote:
Will watch highlights later; from what Kelly Smith has been saying on SSN, it sounds like we played really well?

Excellent,

Second-half we throttled back and soaked up pressure. Save for one effort Bonaventura skied over from near the penalty spot, we restricted Milan to half-chances at best and thoroughly disheartened them. Still could have nabbed a third on a couple of occasions.

Wilshere was magnificent in the first half, Welbeck and Mkhitaryan were both threatening, although both should have done better with further chances. Ozil quieter, but picked Milan's pocket to put Ramsey in for a decisive goal. Xhaka calm and the defence coped well to limit Milan, albeit Mustafi in particular still had his moments of recklessness.

Can't fault any of them though, a real team effort.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:44 pm 
Acclaimed member

A really good performance all round this evening, contained Milan relatively well and took our chances up the other end. An away win, a clean sheet and overall a lot to be pleased with.

Where has that Arsenal been for the last few games?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:31 am 
Acclaimed member

Forget the last few games, it'd be nice if we saw this at least once more this season!

Only caught the highlights but I think things become so much easier for this side particularly once it scores the first goal. I think the Man City games would have been far tighter (if still a loss) if we scored early chances, and here, with some luck, we did.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:34 am 

Enjoyed the tracking back, most of the defending and of course the goals but the highlights made it look like Milan had loads of opportunities they should have taken. I shall pay more attention to what was said on here and by Kelly Smith. Good performance, great result.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:35 am 

Well well well! A great result for a change!

Didn’t see the game, but from what I hear we played well! We are always capable of playing well - just look at us playing Chelsea and Spurs (@ home) this season. One big dirty word comes to mind... CONSISTENCY. We must be the only big team that look great one game and look like a drunken pub side the next. Play like that for the remaining Europa Cup games and we could win it!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:33 pm 

Great performance can't fault anyone. They all looked up for it and were well organised in attack and defence. I'd be bitterly disappointed if we fail to show up at Watford this weekend. Until we solve this consistency issue I can't get to excited.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:03 am 
Acclaimed member

Really guys, nothing? :lol:

Very pleased, an excellent performance.

I must say, though, Milan are such a weak, soft team. I only caught the highlights last time and don't watch Serie A, but when they defend it's like they're repelled magnetically by our players: they make a concerted effort never to touch the opponent, and will slowly jog around. When they do attack, every tackle fells them like it's a kick to the face, and when they can get to pass, there's no accuracy! Shockingly bad midfield, though full credit that we took the opportunity to bully them, and make the runs for those interceptions, in the first 60 minutes.

There was even a moment when some oaf pulls Ozil's shirt, so Ozil decides to do a standing tackle on the ball, and the Milan man falls over like he's been Baptista'd. :lol: Robert Pires could shoulder these guys off the field. In England the "line up 4 creative guys and let them do stuff" formation might have been a trainwreck, but it was plenty effective here.

That said, things could have become trickier at 2-1, except for Welbeck's dive. I don't think he could have known the touch was so soft, but ultimately it's cheating and it was never a pen. It reminds me too much of the bullshit calls Barca and Bayern would get against us every time we get close to making them nervous, even if they were the better team. Much more credit for him in the second goal where he made the chance and finished it off.

Xhaka continuing his slow rehabilitation, working hard to cover defenders and fill the gaps without ninja tackles, and a decent shot to boot for the goal. Full credit to him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:36 am 

Very dodgy penalty and over both legs, we had the rub of the green I think. A better team than Milan would have scored more with their chances tonight. That said, look at the main stat - a 5-1 aggregate win against 7 time European Cup Winners, AC Milan! Bloody marvellous result, especially when the 1st and 2nd choice strikers were out for both legs, one midfielder needs a 'procedure' during the break and our best defender had to go off after less than 1/4 of the game.

A bit of luck with the draw and this season is still alive after all the crap that's happened. Well done boys :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:19 am 
Acclaimed member

It was another very good performance last night and I was pleased with what I saw. I think this is the first time this season we have won 3 games in a row as well.

Milan's goal was a good goal but we responded well and got a soft penalty. Good to see Welbeck score, it doesn't happen that often. But overall the team performance was good and that was encouraging.

Atletico in the next round please.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:49 pm 

We drew CSKA Moscow, home for the first leg. As long as politics stays out of it, we'll be fine. That said, really hope any of our fans going to the away leg are careful.

Arsenal v CSKA Moscow
Atlético Madrid v Sporting
Lazio v Salzburg
Leipzig v Marseille

Preferably get the winner of the Leipzig game if we make it to the semis.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:16 pm 

Not a bad draw, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:05 am 
Acclaimed member

Great stuff and a commanding victory, Ozil, Ramsey, Mkhitaryan perfect.

Good thing too, because that defence could gift goals to a Francis Jeffers on crutches. In the first 5 minutes Mustafi vacates his man and runs into Koscielny just to not-challenge the header, thankfully the ref (wrongly I think) ruling it offside. Then later he goes careening towards a Moscow man who's always winning the ball, looking more like a homing missile than a defender, and ends up giving the guy a free run towards goal. Koscielny not much better.

Wilshere was also poor today, a Wilshere with poor touch giving away easy passes is a Wilshere negating all of his own strengths. I thought Elneny on recent form would have been more useful once we scored our goals.

But never mind that, 4-1 is a great result and it should give us at least something to look forward to the next few weeks. With so much of the club a mess, at least it's good to see a cup run!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:17 am 
Acclaimed member

It is almost illegal what Ozil did to CSKA last night.

I'll give CSKA credit for their attitude, as usually Russian teams roll over on English soil and they at least demonstrated some intent and purpose, albeit played right into our hands. As ever, defences cannot handle Ramsey's runs and he could easily have had three or four. His second goal was such a deft touch. Lacazette has some mojo back and it will be interesting to see if Wenger (or whomever) can integrate him into the same team as Aubameyang, although unlikely for the remainder of the season.

Couple of rounds ago, called the best three rival teams as Atletico, Lazio and Leipzig and that is how it looks to be progressing. On the assumption we can't possible mess up the second leg, I'd like a tie against the Italians. They have some very useful players and it would make for an exciting double-header. Or perhaps the all-for-nothing Leipzig.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:44 pm 

LoneGunner wrote:
It is almost illegal what Ozil did to CSKA last night.

I'll give CSKA credit for their attitude, as usually Russian teams roll over on English soil and they at least demonstrated some intent and purpose, albeit played right into our hands. As ever, defences cannot handle Ramsey's runs and he could easily have had three or four. His second goal was such a deft touch. Lacazette has some mojo back and it will be interesting to see if Wenger (or whomever) can integrate him into the same team as Aubameyang, although unlikely for the remainder of the season.

Couple of rounds ago, called the best three rival teams as Atletico, Lazio and Leipzig and that is how it looks to be progressing. On the assumption we can't possible mess up the second leg, I'd like a tie against the Italians. They have some very useful players and it would make for an exciting double-header. Or perhaps the all-for-nothing Leipzig.

Great performance especially the first half, little bit disappointed with Wilshere, his passing was not as good as it could have been but hey we should be into the semi now :wink: :wink:

I got the impression Lacazette was not too pleased in being subbed, i thought he was worth 90 minutes. MOM for me was Ozil, the best i have seen from him in a while closely folloowed by Ramsey. The defence was a bit shaky at times and if CSkA had taken their chances and we had taken all of ours the scoreline might have been something like 8-4. Anyway well done lads onwards and upwards.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next