It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Europa League
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:26 pm 

Getting a little bit dodgy as we are 2-0 down. Even in the week of comebacks, we couldn't screw it up from 4-1 up could we? :unsure:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:41 pm 

Well done Danny Welbeck! :chill:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:11 pm 
Acclaimed member

LoneGunner wrote:
Couple of rounds ago, called the best three rival teams as Atletico, Lazio and Leipzig and that is how it looks to be progressing.

Or not. What an incredible 15mins from Salzburg. I hope we draw them in the semis so I can see what they are all about.

We were fairly woeful tonight. Elneny head and shoulders above the remainder, particularly the other two in central midfield. I've enjoyed watching him over the last month, he seems to be taking more responsibility and playing with a more progressive attitude - perhaps freed by the use of a third dedicated central midfielder. He was everywhere today; deep lying playmaker in the opening period, covered laterally, got forward frequently to knit the attacks, and then capped it with not one but two assists.

Thankfully Welbeck found his calm-nerve when we needed it most.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:49 am 
Acclaimed member

We used up most of the buffer we earned ourselves, but we eventually pulled it together.

We weren't catastrophic in the first half, but we were clearly subpar and sleepy everywhere. Just as we finally started learning how to pass to each other, we gave away goals. First goal is exemplary - Monreal's position isn't great, Cech's palming is weak, Mustafi the Legend stands there watching then whines to the referee like he does every week.

Thought things got ever so slightly better second half - still chaotic in defence but enough to boot it out, still imprecise in attack but enough to create a couple chances. It figures that we owe the first goal to Welbeck doing a Welbeck and leaving the ball behind, surprising the defender. Great finish at the end of that move, though.

Positives are again Welbeck and Elneny, negatives are again Mustafi and Wilshere. I thought Ozil was bad then got better, and should have had an assist later - dear me, Iwobi did his job once he got on, but from his very posture he had no more chance of scoring in a million years than Boris Johnson does at Dancing with the Stars.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:09 am 

All about the draw now. The benefit of two legs means it's possible to have a dodgy 45 mins or even 90 as long as you turn up for the rest. Not sure that will apply to Madrid should we get them in the semis and in a one off final, you can't really afford any mistakes, unless you are perenially jammy red buggers who benefit in Istanbul.

We knew the rules prior to signing him (well I didn't but assume the club did) but not having Aubameyang is really annoying but c'est la vie. Avoid Atletico, get the 2nd leg at home and perhaps a 2nd cup final of the season is on the cards. Either way, it keeps alive the chance of winning something tangible into the business end of the season.

Credit to the team for not crumbling into a 4-0 defeat or worse once their 2nd had gone in with plenty of time to go.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:20 am 

Emperor wrote:
All about the draw now. The benefit of two legs means it's possible to have a dodgy 45 mins or even 90 as long as you turn up for the rest. Not sure that will apply to Madrid should we get them in the semis and in a one off final, you can't really afford any mistakes, unless you are perenially jammy red buggers who benefit in Istanbul.

We knew the rules prior to signing him (well I didn't but assume the club did) but not having Aubameyang is really annoying but c'est la vie. Avoid Atletico, get the 2nd leg at home and perhaps a 2nd cup final of the season is on the cards. Either way, it keeps alive the chance of winning something tangible into the business end of the season.

Credit to the team for not crumbling into a 4-0 defeat or worse once their 2nd had gone in with plenty of time to go.

Arsenal v Atletico Madrid

Marseille v Red Bull Salzburg

1ST Leg 26th April

2nd Leg 3rd May

Good Luck Arsenal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:55 am 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
jimbo wrote:
Emperor wrote:

Arsenal v Atletico Madrid

Marseille v Red Bull Salzburg

1ST Leg 26th April

2nd Leg 3rd May

Good Luck Arsenal

This is the one I wanted. :D Lot's of danger men in Atletico's team. The likes of Costa, Griezmann, Koke, Niguez, Vitolo will give us trouble so we need to be organised at the back and not make stupid mistakes. They most certainly will be organised defensively so our attacking players MUST and I mean MUST show up and not hide.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:53 pm 

Not what I wanted. I wanted a final which I can't see us making now. Oh well, there's always hope.
Meanwhile, Liverpool jam the easier of the semi finals as the red sea parts yet again for them to win the CL.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:13 pm 

Arsenal vs Athletico GREAT START!

Fantastic crowd! All Arsenal!! Come on Arsenal

OMFG Athletico down to 10 men inside 10mins!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:57 pm 

HT 0-0

Arsenal on top but Athletico are defending resolutely down to 10 men and starting to create chances themselves.

We should probably be 2-0 up by now but no worries... plenty of time to wrap this one up. Athletico will tire and it’s only a matter of time. Patience required, and please... no fuck ups from our defenders!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:02 pm 
Acclaimed member

Pound for pound I don't think that Atletico lineup is much, if any, better than what we can put out.

First goal crucial. If they get it, we could spend the rest of the game dicking around to no avail. We get it, we can stop pushing forward with abandon and try and catch them on the counter. Atletico out of their shell are an entirely different team to an Atletico who can play controlled within it, nevermind being a man down.

Come on Arsenal!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:07 pm 

You know what LG... i reckon with our defence we play with the equivalent of 10.5 players every game.

It depends when we score - if it happens with plenty of time left I don’t think we should sit back... I just don’t trust our defenders.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:00 pm 
Acclaimed member

Christ almighty.

That second half was exactly how it should have went; got a goal, exemplary attitude after the goal as we relentlessly pursued Atletico, then took a little breather and throttled back and played slightly more contained.

Then one 50 yard ball beats the entire backline and we've thrown away the game.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:04 pm 

I’m not going to discuss Arsenal’s performance.

My word Atletico were amazing. Down to 10 men for 84 minutes. Their hugely influential manager also sent to the stands. Under huge pressure from Arsenal for the entirety of the match - they stood strong only beaten by a magnificent Lacazette leap. Incredible. And they go on to score from nothing.

Wenger - please take koscielny and Mustafi with you. Please

Last edited by muckygooner on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:05 pm 
Acclaimed member

LoneGunner wrote:
Then one 50 yard ball beats the entire backline and we've thrown away the game.

And the tie. We now have to go to Madrid and pretty much win. We can't even go away to West Brom and win.

This is so typical Arsenal in the last ten years or so under Wenger. Even when you think the stars are aligned, we get some luck and it looks like we might do something, somehow out of nowhere Arsenal manage to shoot themselves in the foot in the strangest most embarrassing way just to give everyone a good laugh.

That said, we needed more goals. One goal was never going to be enough over the tie and we missed too many chances to put this tie to bed. We only have ourselves to blame. Never say never, but we have wasted a glorious chance tonight, a chance we won't get in the second leg.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next