It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 75  Next

Should Arsenal offer Usmanov a place on the board?
Yes - He is a major share holder 53%  53%  [ 19 ]
Yes - Providing his position ties in with the boards 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
No - Under no circumstances 36%  36%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 36
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:34 pm 

arcaliea wrote:
This is a horrible simplification of matters.

By a horribly simple man!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:38 pm 

Bob Ross wrote:
arcaliea wrote:
This is a horrible simplification of matters.

By a horribly simple man!

Thats spurs fans for you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:27 pm 
Well if I have to disagree with Wenger on this, as Corny's quote suggests, then so be it.
But I don't think Wenger is in support of Kroenke's takeover and I think News of the World is a weak source to support that notion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:30 pm 
Managing Editor

Not sure he can afford the whole club, I would want to know what the situation of dividends is. How much would this man see it as a pure business? The current board obviously do not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:55 pm 

Wenger wary of investor

Arsene Wenger has warned Arsenal not to go down the route of other Premiership clubs and plump for foreign investment.

Wenger's latest comments come in the wake of American tycoon Stan Kroenke increasing his stake in a club still reeling from the shock exit of vice-chairman David Dein.

The likes of Manchester United, Liverpool, Aston Villa and most notably Chelsea have all been bought out by foreign parties in what is emerging as a top flight trend.

But, Roman Abramovich at Chelsea aside, Wenger does not believe that overseas cash injections guarantee success and he would be loath to compromise what he sees as the club's long-term financial strategy.

"The game has moved on but at the moment, apart from Abramovich, we do not know how much more money is inside the other clubs," Wenger told the Sun.

"Only Abramovich can say 'Yes I give the money, no matter what it costs'.

"United use their normal resources and we have to see what Liverpool and Aston Villa do on that front.

"I think it is wiser to build up the club like we did with a bigger capacity and use our normal resources because we know that is the future and a guarantee for the club.

"At the moment we have a little handicap because we have to pay the stadium back.

"In three, four or five years this club will be financially very solid and we can live at the top level with just our own resources.

"That is much better than any guy coming from the outside and pumping a lot of money in."

Source: http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=462372&CPID=8&clid=3&lid=&title=Wenger+wary+of+investor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:06 pm 
Acclaimed member

I am for the takeover.

Its a necessary evil. Stanley Kroenke looks like the best one of all the American tycoons taking over the club. at least he is a establised sports tycoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:13 pm 
After having a weekend away and not thinking about this subject I find myself not really bothered who owns the club so long as they have the best interest of Arsenal at heart.

My passion for the club lies in the football that’s played. And the manager who's job it is to take the club to glory.

I'm not looking for a quick buck businessman to buy Arsenal just to sell it in 18 months to another quick buck merchant, but there is no evidence that the businessmen getting involved in premiership football have any intentions of doing this. Including Abramovich.

And change happens. When Sky TV took premiership football global, Big business was always going to show an interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:38 pm 

News of the world turned this quote

"I don't know if it will ever happen to Arsenal — I hope not. "
Wenger

Into

Wenger yes to takeover :evil:

They should be shot
Edit : mabe a little over the top. A firm talking to would do

Last edited by speedy on Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:43 pm 
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20070406/ ... ebf69.html

Wenger says Arsenal don't need big investment

By Simon Vincent Reuters - Friday, April 6
LONDON (Reuters) - Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has played down talk of a possible takeover of the London club and said on Friday it does not need big investment to flourish.
American Stan Kroenke, owner of KSE UK Inc., has bought a 9.9 percent stake from broadcaster ITV months after setting up a business partnership with the Premier League club via his Major League Soccer team Colorado Rapids.
UK press reports have suggested Kroenke, whose sports company owns American football, basketball and ice hockey teams, might be interested in a takeover of Arsenal.
But Wenger told a news conference: "I don't think the club needs a big investment. This team has shown they can beat everybody and that it is part of their growing process.
"There is a huge potential here. I don't feel at the moment the needed solution is more money.
"In the longer term, it's always better that you produce your own resources and for us, with a new stadium, I feel in the near future the club will be capable of competing on its own resources," said the Frenchman.
Wenger added that the purchase of shares by Kroenke did not mean a takeover of Arsenal was imminent.
"I don't think that the club has been bought by somebody," he said. "It's just somebody who has bought shares. You have to wait in the future to see what his intentions are.
"At the moment, he has come out and said he does not want to buy the club, he wants just a partnership and that should not change anything inside the club at the moment.
TRADITIONAL VALUES
ITV said on Thursday it had also entered conditional arrangements with Kroenke Sports Entertainment regarding the sale of its 50 percent stake in Arsenal Broadband Ltd.
The price tag on the two transactions, if completed, would be 65 million pounds, ITV said.
Wenger was unperturbed by the talk of a possible takeover and wants Arsenal to maintain the traditional values that have been nurtured during his time as manager.
"It's important Arsenal maintains its values because they are what makes the club so popular and that is beyond any investment," he said.
"The club must maintain the values we have always had here -- of human class, distinction, respect for people and ambition to have a certain class in what you do.
"That's what I felt when I came to this football club. There was fair play, a desire to do things well and basic human values. It's a daily struggle to keep those values.
"What I like inside at this club is that we have maintained our values, we show we care about our fans and we care about people who love the club."
Wenger also played down reports Thierry Henry's future at Arsenal was in the balance.
"I had a chat with him this morning and it's clear, he wants to stay," Wenger added. "I'm clear. I want him to stay. He wanted to make it clear.
"I was not concerned because I know the day Thierry Henry wants to leave he will knock at my door and say: 'Listen, I want to go somewhere.' As long as he doesn't do that, I'm not worried."

A statement from Arsene at the beginning of the month. Quite interesting don’t you think and pretty much echoes Hill-Wood’s stance on the takeover now.
Interesting to see that Wenger genuinely believed Kroenke’s involvement at that time as ‘just a partnership’. Only Dein could have duped Wenger into believing this, just like he duped the rest of the board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:49 pm 
Marketing & Enhancement

I said no, because put simply, we have enough funds to be the best team in the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:50 pm 
13013 wrote:
After having a weekend away and not thinking about this subject I find myself not really bothered who owns the club so long as they have the best interest of Arsenal at heart.

Dein had the club's interests at heart.
But if that means lying to your colleagues, creating instability and forcing through an underhand and hostile takeover of the club you allege to love to a dodgy american with a tache then i have one thing to say....

the road to hell is paved with good intentions....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:22 pm 
Acclaimed member

Corny wrote:
If there is a takeover at the club I would like to see Dein involved. He is the man who brought Wenger and Graham to the club, he's mr hands on as far as Arsenal is concerned.

Myles mentions that Arsenal lack vision, but is that fair?

They built the club a new stadium after all? Did Myles not praise the board for that?

Im really not happy with a takeover. BUT if it had to happen, and it looks like Kroenke is going for it then I want Dein involved as it will reassure me and hopefully Arsene Wenger. I dont think that we need the take-over but to an extent there is nothing we can do about it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:34 pm 
Acclaimed member

I'm not overly concerned providing:

First and foremost the interest of the club and it's traditions are upheld.
Dein is involved in the take-over and Wenger keeps his current role or shares his current role with a role as Director of Football. With those two on board I can't see them allowing the club to be run like a billionaires play-thing and all it stands for destroyed.

Last edited by Roch on Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:17 pm 
A take over is not an entirely evil thing. But is Kroenke the man who guarantees a better future? Well, looking at his other clubs the outlook is rather scary for they are all dwelling in mediocracy. I read a lot of comment on the web about the blessing the Mancs and Liverpool received. Did they? The Mancs are deep in the red and Liverpool needs a new stadium. Let's face it, neither Gillette nor Kroenke are anyway near Abramovich's caliber, as a matter of fact by comparison they appear like beggars. Roman got himself the ultimate toy (one I'd like to have) but for the Yanks it's a business venture.
I am also a bit amazed who great the believe is that money solves all problems - if that is so, why hasn't Real won everything in the last 10 years? It reminds me a bit of George W. Bush's approach on 'Homeland Security' - just scream 'TERRORIST' often enough and the people will believe it. That's what happens here. 'MONEY 'S OUR SAVIOUR', constantly repeated people believe it. And all that without knowing how much money Mr. Mediocronky is willing to invest.
Last but not least: the crying about the inflexible board members who don't act in the best interest of the shareholders is almost Kafkaesk! There's 350 people of the Arsenal Supporters who hold 2% of the shares (that adds up to roughly 0,0054% per person) giving the board the stick for not talking to Kroenke. I am amused! If a take-over is so much in their interest and if they are sure Arsenal is doomed without take-over - well, why not sell your shares, guys? Rather than pointing the finger at other people?
I think many people are blinded by what happened to Chelsea - not seeing that this is a completely different proposition all together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:33 pm 

After an initial investment . He is going to want £650M back plus any big initial transfer budget he will uses to sweetin the fans . The Man u transfer budget seems to have dropped and liverpools has stayed the same as it has been if reports are to be believed.
I think we will have less money if this take over is to happen

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 75  Next