It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 12:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Santi Cazorla injury thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:01 am 

Report: Cazorla suffers knee ligament damage
by arseblog - December 1, 2015
http://news.arseblog.com/2015/12/report ... nt-damage/

The Guardian’s David Hytner reports this evening that Santi Cazorla has suffered damage the ligaments in his knee after the Norwich game on Sunday.

The disappointing 1-1 draw saw three Arsenal players pick up problems and add to the injury list, and this evening’s report that ligament damage has been confirmed is something of a worry. As yet we don’t know which ligament, how badly or otherwise it’s affected, or much else, but in itself it’s a concern.

If it’s just bruising it may not be long-term but any kind of tear could see him miss months, which would obviously be a real blow. More on this as and when it emerges.

Post subject: Re: Santi Cazorla injury thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:22 pm 

Minimum 3 months could be longer apparently. Be lucky if we see him again this season.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:48 pm 

Arsenal hit by injury setbacks for Santi Cazorla and Jack Wilshere
Midfield duo unlikely to return before April, admits Arsène Wenger
By David Hytner, Tuesday 1 March 2016
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/01/arsenal-injury-santi-cazorla-jack-wilshere-arsene-wenger

Santi Cazorla has suffered a setback in his recovery from knee ligament surgery, with Arsène Wenger saying the Arsenal midfielder had felt a reaction in his achilles.

Jack Wilshere, too, continues to make slow progress in his fight to come back from the fractured fibula that has wrecked his season and he has effectively been ruled out until April, meaning he will miss the England internationals at the end of this month against Germany and Holland.

Wenger also said the midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain would be out for six to eight weeks with the knee ligament injury he suffered against Barcelona in the Champions League last Tuesday to complete an unfortunate treble before Swansea’s visit to the Emirates on Wednesday night.

Cazorla, who has been sorely missed after he ruptured the lateral collateral ligament in his knee at Norwich City on 29 November, said last week he was “working better every day” and he had targeted the Champions League last 16 second-leg against Barcelona on 16 March for his comeback.

Wenger painted a bleaker picture and he dodged the question of whether Cazorla was now looking at a return date in April. “Santi is not doing too well,” Wenger said. “He has some achilles problems that hold him back.

“His knee is doing well but his achilles has inflamed a little bit and we have to put him off impact [training]. It has been a reaction to coming back. A return in April? We have to see now how he responds. He always had a little tendinitis in his achilles and we have to see how he responds to that.”

Wenger’s previous update on Wilshere, who suffered his injury in training on the eve of August’s Community Shield game and underwent surgery in mid-September, was he ought to be back in mid-March. He said at the end of January Wilshere was “starting to run” but he seemed to contradict that on Tuesday.

“Jack is doing quite well but has still not been outside yet, running,” Wenger said. “He starts again, I think, this week. He will be three to four weeks [more] out.”

On Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wenger added: “He will be out for six to eight weeks. No surgery. We feared surgery at some stage before we saw the MRI. In the end we got, on that front, positive news.”

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:56 pm 

Does anyone know where Santi is? He should have been in training now, but he isn't. Still injured or maybe longer vacation?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:25 pm 

*sigh*

Arsenal news: Arsene Wenger denies he forced Alexis Sanchez to play while Santi Cazorla ruled out until Christmas
Spanish midfielder out for at least another month with Achilles complaint, while Arsene Wenger denies he forced Sanchez to play on Saturday.
By Jack Pitt-Brooke, Tuesday 22 November 2016
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 31931.html

Santi Cazorla is unlikely to play again before Christmas as he has to wait to recover from his Achilles inflammation. Arsene Wenger confirmed at his press conference that he did not know when Cazorla would return to the first team, and that it was difficult to set time-lines on that type of injury.

The Spanish midfielder has not played for Arsenal for one month, since the defeat of Ludogorets on 19 October, and Wenger cannot see him playing again for at least another month. The most optimistic scenario is that he will return to training in two weeks’ time, but however long it takes, he will need another two weeks of training before he can play. That would take Cazorla up until Christmas, although he is at risk of needing more time than that.

“I've given a bit up on [predicting Cazorla’s return date], I don't know how far he is,” said a downbeat Wenger on Tuesday afternoon. “He looks like he's making progress, but as long as the player is not in full-time training with the squad it's difficult to set targets.”

Wenger said that Cazorla’s long-term future would not be affected by the injury, but said that he may not return to training until mid-December, which would mean he may not be ready to play until into the Christmas fixtures. “It's not a big injury that will harm his future, but it's an inflammation at the back of his Achilles,” Wenger explained. “It's always difficult with inflammations to give a set time. My gut signing is it will be short, two weeks. But when a player comes back to full training it still takes two weeks for a player to be ready to play again.”

That would rule Cazorla out of three crucial Premier League away games, at the London Stadium (3 Demcember), at Goodison Park (13 December) and at the Etihad Stadium (18 December). Arsenal’s Christmas games are gentler, against West Bromwich Albion, Crystal Palace and Bournemouth, before their FA Cup third round tie.
The rest is about Sanchez.

Huge blow.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:42 pm 

Yep but also a big opportunity for someone to stake their claim for his position.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:33 pm 

He's so underrated and so important for us. You see it in the results since his injury. No one can replace him as we don´t have any other player with his kind of qualities. When he´s not there we are playing a different kinf of football. Less fluence, less direct, less tempo.
But it will be up for Ramsey or Xhaka to take his place next to Coquelin.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:55 pm 

yep, I definitely rate him, he's class, just that there is that opportunity. I feel Ramsey could do it, certainly the Wales version of Ramsey but he seems to go into his shell when we plays for us, at least lately, as he did last night.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:56 pm 

Reports that Cazorla out for 3 months because he needs surgery. Terrific.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:02 pm 

Yes it's been confirmed by arsenal.com.
I was already afraid that this could happen... at the start it loks like a few days ut when it cames weeks I had the feeling that it could be much and much longer.
Shame, because when the decision to have surgery was decided at the first beginning of his injury than he was fit by the end of january. Now he's back in march....
We are missing him so much that this could really disrupt our title aspirations. Ramsey needs to step up and made the central midfield position his own together with Xhaka.
Maybe if it's possible bring back Wilshere in january?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:52 am 
Acclaimed member

block132 wrote:
yep, I definitely rate him, he's class, just that there is that opportunity. I feel Ramsey could do it, certainly the Wales version of Ramsey but he seems to go into his shell when we plays for us, at least lately, as he did last night.

Doesn't he play as a 10 for Wales rather then a 6?

Not a surprise Cazorla is out, big chance for Xhaka as the only number 6 who can play a passing game that we have, can't see anyone else filling in. Cazorla is our most important attacking player, he knits our game together which gives the likes of Ozil and Sanchez a platform to build on. Without him, we lack that passer in recent seasons, our tempo drops.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:11 am 

Magic Hat wrote:
block132 wrote:

Doesn't he play as a 10 for Wales rather then a 6?

Not a surprise Cazorla is out, big chance for Xhaka as the only number 6 who can play a passing game that we have, can't see anyone else filling in. Cazorla is our most important attacking player, he knits our game together which gives the likes of Ozil and Sanchez a platform to build on. Without him, we lack that passer in recent seasons, our tempo drops.

He does yes, but I think he could do a good job for us in Cazorla's role. What I meant by referring to Wales is that he seems more confident, dynamic and attacking when playing for Wales whereas with us he isn't and tends to play safe a lot more, certainly in recent games. The ball goes backwards / sidewards a lot more for us.

Still not feeling great about Xhaka but it's still early for him.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:43 pm 

Getting a bit off topic on Ramsey here, buy he played as the 10 in the EFL Cup and looked rather anonymously dismal there when he had a perfectly good opportunity to steak a claim.

Devastating, Santi has been what makes our midfield really tick, knitting defense to the attack and pushing us forward with better passing than anyone, and with either foot. (Yes, Ozil has the better ability to spring someone and Xhaka maybe a better long ball, but Cazorla is the best overall.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:03 am 
Acclaimed member

block132 wrote:

He does yes, but I think he could do a good job for us in Cazorla's role. What I meant by referring to Wales is that he seems more confident, dynamic and attacking when playing for Wales whereas with us he isn't and tends to play safe a lot more, certainly in recent games. The ball goes backwards / sidewards a lot more for us.

I thought Xhaka gave us something of what we had been missing against Bournemouth, getting us a quicker tempo and getting us playing better then we had been, bar that spell once we conceded a penalty.

Oh you meant confidence. There is something in that, the confidence of knowing he has a certain starter in his favoured role and a team set up partly to help the way he plays the 10 role. Whereas perhaps when he does get a rare chance at number 10 he knows he won't get it back.

I don't see him as a 6. At his best, he is making clever runs into the box, providing energy, driving in the final third and trying to make things happen. The number 6 role requires a deep passer who stays back and can control a passing game, I have not seen Ramsey do that and it curbs what he is good at.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:22 pm 

Magic Hat wrote:
block132 wrote:

I thought Xhaka gave us something of what we had been missing against Bournemouth, getting us a quicker tempo and getting us playing better then we had been, bar that spell once we conceded a penalty.

Oh you meant confidence. There is something in that, the confidence of knowing he has a certain starter in his favoured role and a team set up partly to help the way he plays the 10 role. Whereas perhaps when he does get a rare chance at number 10 he knows he won't get it back.

I don't see him as a 6. At his best, he is making clever runs into the box, providing energy, driving in the final third and trying to make things happen. The number 6 role requires a deep passer who stays back and can control a passing game, I have not seen Ramsey do that and it curbs what he is good at.

All fair points.