It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 9:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: England 2018
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:57 am 

Really sorry if there's a thread already; thought there was a 3 Lions thread but can't find it and it said the International section had no threads and no posts.

Anyway, after an excruciatingly long Interlull, what did fans make of their respective countries?
Regarding England, I liked the pace the front players worked at plus the speed of movement of the ball. I've always wondered why, when foreign players used to come and marvel at the speed of the Prem, we didn't move the ball faster in internationals.

To me, I don't think Joe Hart will be the No.1 in Russia as neither Butland nor Pickford did too much wrong and that's without Pope having a go. Part of that also seems that we are going to play from the back, which is why Hart isn't at City in the first place.

Speaking of playing from the back, the defence worries me. I still think Stones has the potential to be a liability and better teams than Holland and Italy will punish us in the knockout stages if we take some of the risks we did in the friendlies.

That said, from some of the short, quick passing and also some of the long range balls, it was clear that some defensive players had been selected for their very good passing ability.

VAR made an appearance; not sure it was a penalty but it was given so it basically was. I hope that doesn't become the main point of Russia 18, when it could be Messi's international swansong, a brave new world for England and a coming of age for the Belgian 'golden generation'. (That's ignoring politics and the exploits of cretinous 'fans' who will no doubt have their little moments for the family albums.)

Post subject: Re: England 2018
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:34 pm 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
Emperor wrote:
Really sorry if there's a thread already; thought there was a 3 Lions thread but can't find it and it said the International section had no threads and no posts.

Anyway, after an excruciatingly long Interlull, what did fans make of their respective countries?
Regarding England, I liked the pace the front players worked at plus the speed of movement of the ball. I've always wondered why, when foreign players used to come and marvel at the speed of the Prem, we didn't move the ball faster in internationals.

To me, I don't think Joe Hart will be the No.1 in Russia as neither Butland nor Pickford did too much wrong and that's without Pope having a go. Part of that also seems that we are going to play from the back, which is why Hart isn't at City in the first place.

Speaking of playing from the back, the defence worries me. I still think Stones has the potential to be a liability and better teams than Holland and Italy will punish us in the knockout stages if we take some of the risks we did in the friendlies.

That said, from some of the short, quick passing and also some of the long range balls, it was clear that some defensive players had been selected for their very good passing ability.

VAR made an appearance; not sure it was a penalty but it was given so it basically was. I hope that doesn't become the main point of Russia 18, when it could be Messi's international swansong, a brave new world for England and a coming of age for the Belgian 'golden generation'. (That's ignoring politics and the exploits of cretinous 'fans' who will no doubt have their little moments for the family albums.)

Good Post Emperor!! :D :D

Too add my 2 cents, I must say, I think Southgate has done OK in his tenure so far. a lot of questions were asked prioir to hsi appointment aiming at his credibility but he seems to have the team playing OK at the moment. Yes, I know it only matters when we get to the business end of the tournament but I'm not seeing anything to suggest that we couldn't do something special this tournament. My money is on France or Germany to win. The seem to have the best crop of youngsters in this generation who are making it to the first team international stage.