It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 654 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Theo Walcott Debate
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:37 pm 

What do you reckon folks? I watched him last season and there were tiny snippets of potential. You could see what Wenger saw in him and paid all that money for. We’ve all seen his Southampton goals and the promise he showed whilst he was there. We were drooling when he signed for us and maybe we were thinking “the new Michael Owen” – I know I was.

Now is crunch time for him I feel. He has the pressure on him now to fulfil the promise. Regardless of the price tag, he came to Arsenal as a special talent and there comes a time when it has to be shown on the pitch. Sure, he’s young but so was Rooney, so was Owen, so was Messi etc etc…. if you’re THAT good then age does not matter.

Now, my point I’m leading up to is, do you think that Walcott is going down the same route as Reyes did. I don’t mean specifically how Reyes got a few good kickings and lost his bottle but I see the same trait in Walcott that he appears to have never regained any of his confidence that he had at Southampton and is too reluctant to take on anyone. This kid has got pace in abundance and appears to have the skills to go with it yet he does not appear to want to utilise it in a good old bit of attacking wing play. He spent a lot of time at Southampton drifting out to the wings A La Henry and taking on and beating defenders yet it’s like he’s tried a few times at Arsenal and got tackled and now doesn’t seem to have the confidence…

So, is this boy gonna be a hit or miss ???

Post subject: Re: Theo Walcott… Potential Enigma or Reincarnation of Reyes
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:01 pm 

Owen, Rooney,... all play as forwards from the center whereas we play Walcott from the right of midfield which I don't think as I've been saying since last year is his position. You play him as a forward, not necessarily as a leading striker but behind one, and you'll see his true potential. His chief attributes which will make him a successful player are his pace, ability to get behind defenders, runs off the striker, eye for goal and what not. But I think we are wasting all this by having him at right midfield. The currect performance doesn't depict what he is actually capable of. I understand he is still in his teens, but I really don't see any drastic improvement this season so far from what I'm used to seeing last season when he plays on the right. I cannot see this happening though since we already have lots of players queueing up to play up front behind the striker. But if Walcott continues this way, he might not realize his potential in a couple of years at all!

But if Arsene thinks the current composition of the team doesn't allow Walcott to be played at that forward position, we should loan him out to another premiership club (I'm sure lot of them will be willing to acquire him and slot him up front) for a 6-8 month period during which his natural abilities will be out to be gauged. I'm not saying this is the only way out, but I suggest we should be proactive in a manner which would affect the kid's growth in a positive manner.

And I'm certain that he is not a Stuart Downing, James Milner or an Aaron Lennon kind of a player.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:13 pm 

I completely agree with that ^
When he scored that goal against Chelsea, he wasn't exactly coming from a wide position was he? A nice 1-2 through the middle and a good finish in a 1 on 1 situation. He would get more opportunities like that if played as a striker.
His age cannot be used as an excuse. Fabregas was 17 and we already had a song for him!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:27 pm 

Damn we Arsenal fans are a bunch of spoiled brats, we now expect every kid to be top class before they are 20. Theo Walcott is 18, say it with me now, EIGHT...TEEN! Le boss is bringing him along in his own way, you cannot compare him to Messi, Rooney or Cesc because he is not them and will develop at his own rate.

All you are doing with this non-sense is puting pressure on the boy, which is unfair to him. He has had a half a season of actual work and playing time in the top flight, hell it take many players that are already developed 2 years to adjust to the Premier League, give the boy time.

My question to you is, if Theo takes 4 years, until he is 22, to develop and then gives Arsenal 8-10 years of world class play, would he be a failure in your eyes?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:31 pm 
I have to agree that to me Walcott is playing out of position. That will be a big drawback for him if Wenger insist on keeping him out there.

Last season I thought him to light going into tackles and like everyone else found out that he had a bad shoulder. This season he must toughen up if he is to make a presence in the first team.

I hope he makes it. But I'm not yet convinced.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:31 pm 

DROchse wrote:
Damn we Arsenal fans are a bunch of spoiled brats, we now expect every kid to be top class before they are 20. Theo Walcott is 18, say it with me now, EIGHT...TEEN! Le boss is bringing him along in his own way, you cannot compare him to Messi, Rooney or Cesc because he is not them and will develop at his own rate.

All you are doing with this non-sense is puting pressure on the boy, which is unfair to him. He has had a half a season of actual work and playing time in the top flight, hell it take many players that are already developed 2 years to adjust to the Premier League, give the boy time.

My question to you is, if Theo takes 4 years, until he is 22, to develop and then gives Arsenal 8-10 years of world class play, would he be a failure in your eyes?

Well said. I also believe the World Cup squad thing effected him. I can't remember where I saw it but I seem to remember Wenger explaining why he played him RM and not as a striker. Give the poor lad some time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:39 pm 
He is young, and he is out of position, I grant that. But I'm still unconvinced by him, and have doubts about his long term future at Arsenal. Only a hunch, but at the moment, to me he doesn't look like he's going to make the grade. I really hope I'm wrong, and I accept there are many people out there who know more about football and player potential than I do, Arsene naturally included.
As I said, it's just a feeling I have. I think we can probably agree that playing on the wing will not help his progression or confidence.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:45 pm 
Acclaimed member

I heard he did alright against Fulham and in the early pre season games? He will learn from being played out wide but would like him to be given a chance up front a few times this season. I thought last season, he started off well but then it didn't seem to go right for him, if he tried a trick, he would bamboozle the defender but it would hit a stray ankle and the defender would get the ball. He needs confidence, which the crowd chanting for him will help give and time to improve, for me is he has the talent but he needs to keep confident and in a season or two show he can play well consistently as I believe he can.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:49 pm 
Acclaimed member

It is very early in this lad's develop to start writing him off when he is far from nearing the finished article.

He has shown signs he is a very good player but I feel he needs to play up front where he belongs in order to fulfill his true potential. He is not a winger and should not be used as one. I would be disappointed if Wenger sees him long term as a winger and continues to perservere with him there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:51 pm 

Confidence is all that is lacking right now, he played most of last season's very few games scared that if he even bumped into someone his shoulder would pop out and he would be in agony, I say give him time and he will get the confidence back, maybe make him spend more time with bendtner, he seems to be overflowing with it. He does need to work on his game and try and beat defenders technically not just with pace, but all this will come

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:56 pm 
If he's going to be up front, and he's struggling on the wing, I'm not sure how conducive to his development that will be. He may have done 'ok' on the pre season games, but in one of the tournaments (I think Amsterdam) so did Song! I'm not comparing them in terms of ability, just asking whether doing 'ok' as opposed to doing well is enough now?

I don't have a downer on the kid; he wears the red and white, but I still have doubts, and am concerned about his body language and overall confidence when he's running into blind alleys and losing the ball in his own feet on the wing.

Theo Walcott received enormous amounts of attention. I remember Rooney swaggering into a contract signing with Everton; this kid has had that and far far more to cope with. A World Cup squad place, when he hardly had broken sweat in the red and white. A disbelieving media, and a chorus of incredulity when he didn't actually get to play. Oh, and a vote of confidence from his colleagues; something like, 'I looked across and thought why are you on the plane?' Thanks to the England captain elect, Stevie G. Way to inspire people mate. He hasn't done it, let's face it, in an Arsenal shirt. The very fact that people will say, 'Oh remember him against Slavia, or the CC final' is proof of that. Had he been a success, we wouldn't be able to remember individual examples. I don't think of Smudger and say,'Hmm remember that half volley against Everton in the Littlewoods Cup semi in '88?' I just remember the player fondly. Yet even Arsene admits that Theo, who has played predominantly on the right wing, isn't a winger. Something this forum acknowledged a while back. So we may not have seen a potentially great player, but maybe it's because he wasn't in the position where he will be potentially great?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:59 pm 
Gordon Bennit wrote:
He is young, and he is out of position, I grant that. But I'm still unconvinced by him, and have doubts about his long term future at Arsenal. Only a hunch, but at the moment, to me he doesn't look like he's going to make the grade.

that seems to be the general feeling but i think theo will make the grade he is too good not too, in this thread people have mentioned messi and rooney, my take on it is look at rooney for me since he cam onto the scene he hasnt improved that much porbably 10% or so.

as for messi you CANNOT compare arguably some one who will become the best footballer of his generation to theo, messi is a different class right now that would be like comparing a 27 year old zidane to gerrard!

if i was to compare theo to any one it would be Cronaldo he was bought as hype all he had was a heap of step overs and a bit of pace, now look at him a few years later at 22 he has learnt his trade, we must afford theo this sort of time to develop.Same can be said for quersma flopped when pressure was too much now again look at his development minus the pressure. I think why that fake tan wearing no7 has become so good is untill the season after the depature of beckham relativly no pressure on him. i think theo would benefit from having a more experenced winger infront of him to take away some of the pressure upon him right now.

people expect fireworks from theo, they will come but please let him light the fuse first!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:07 pm 
Acclaimed member

Location: Eboue's calendar goes straight from March 31st to April 2nd, no one fools Eboue
Personally I think Theo will be a major star. Taking into account his shoulder problem he has only played half a season, that is far too early to deem him a failure. He has so much ability he will be fine I am sure.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:10 pm 
Acclaimed member

Theo is a talented youngster. I don't think anyone could deny it at this point. He did exceptionally well last season for me considering the amount of games he played and contributed in terms of assists (and 1 goal in a cup final) and some direct running from out wide.

I would prefer to think that he could play best further up the field, after all that pace and trickery is useful for slipping in behind the defenders. But when everyone says he has been played out of position on the wing I don't buy it. I seem to remember him playing games in midfield for Southampton and catching headlines then. He is young enough that he can be moulded into a winger or a striker and personally I think his development in both areas is necessary. His versatility is a valuable asset to the squad especially as we need widemen and if anyone knows about what players can play where it's Arsene! Plus by playing well and learning about both roles only makes him more effective in stretching defences and giving them nightmares. If he continues to get games out wide and also gets a few games upfront them I reckon he will improve in both goals and assists this year. To even think of him failing like Reyes did is silly; after all the lads english and can deal with the weather!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:15 pm 
Acclaimed member

Location: Eboue's calendar goes straight from March 31st to April 2nd, no one fools Eboue
If Theo had played against Fulham's high line on Sunday he would have got in behind time after time. He is not a winger, imagine sticking Owen out wide and asking him to play as a right midfielder. He wouldn't shine either.

Not knocking Wenger, he knows what is best but I am sure he will become a centre forward when the time is right.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 654 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next