It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sanchez / Ozil Contract Situation
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:56 am 

manuhater wrote:
block132 wrote:
On Sanchez,

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... al-problem

Not scapegoating him but interesting nonetheless.

Thought he played OK last night upto the pen/SO.

I read that as well, quite interesting, that said it's the psychological affect (boost) it has on opponents when they see his name on the bench, because he does carry a degree of fear factor

Agreed he does, but also he carries a degree of predictability, play wide, cut inside, lose ball. Wave arms a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:29 pm 

Fair point but I'd still rather have him on the pitch ahead of virtually anyone else in the squad.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:51 pm 
Acclaimed member

Sanchez is a player who does lift a team, does impact the other game and does make things happen in the final third. or all his brilliance, the stats are alarming and given the stick Ozil gets for not working hard, it is intresting how much more he does then Sanchez.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:51 pm 
Acclaimed member

So reports that Ozil has rejected the new contract. We can stick a fork in these two now renewing their contracts and look at how much we can get for them in the summer now.

Oxlaide Chamberlain is also unwilling to sign a new deal despite not being offered one. Also Wilshere's and Szczesny's contracts will have 12 months to run at the end of season.

Remind me who is in charge of offering contracts? Because we are in the same situation we were 3/4 years ago, only weren't we supposed to be able to compete with the top clubs and offer our players good money and sporting ambitions?

So we also now look beyond Ozil and Sanchez and try and build a team without them? It's difficult when two players who could step in are also prone to leaving the club as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:43 pm 
Acclaimed member

My view is one of apathy. If players go, they go. We've lost better.

We'd be in a stronger position with less gifted players, but a better team shape and system. There are plenty of players who we could target as replacements, although little faith in how the club plan to acquire these.

I don't understand, though, how two players such as this can be allowed to run down to 12 months. If they are unwilling to renew two years out, they should be offed at the height of their value. That is the trigger point.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:05 pm 
Acclaimed member

The club may have realized players would not sign a new contract while there was managerial uncertainty and may have been expecting a rather better season then we have had, thinking that signal we have pushed on and willingness to splash cash in summer would win over the star players.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:39 pm 
Acclaimed member

LoneGunner wrote:
My view is one of apathy. If players go, they go. We've lost better.

We'd be in a stronger position with less gifted players, but a better team shape and system. There are plenty of players who we could target as replacements, although little faith in how the club plan to acquire these.

I don't understand, though, how two players such as this can be allowed to run down to 12 months. If they are unwilling to renew two years out, they should be offed at the height of their value. That is the trigger point.

We used to be quite proactive in terms of offering players fresh deals and I'd be surprised if this wasn't still the case, but to have Ozil, Sanchez, Gibbs, Oxlade-chamberlain, Wilshere and Szczesny all approaching the end of their deals within a year is an extremely perilous position for the club to be in. Arguably all of those players have a case for wanting to leave either because of a lack of football or the club not fulfilling their ambition and we can't sell them all at once because you'd be talking a sizeable amount of the squad going at the same time (even if two of them are out on loan).

One could argue it's negligence on the clubs part here, I personally err towards the club having little choice in the matter which is an indication of how bad our situation really is.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:19 pm 

My future is tied to Wenger's, says Ozil
AFP
Apr 9, 2017, 7:28 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/future-tied-wengers-says-ozil-112841693--sow.html

Mesut Ozil is currently stalling over a new contract at Arsenal, with his existing deal due to expire in a year.

London (AFP) - Mesut Ozil wants Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger's future to be cleared up before he commits himself to the club, the Germany playmaker indicated in a newspaper interview published on Sunday.

Wenger, Arsenal's manager for over 20 years, is out of contract at the end of the season and has pledged to make an announcement about his future "very soon".

Ozil is currently stalling over a new contract, with his existing deal due to expire in a year, and suggested he will not make a decision on his future until he knows what Wenger is doing.

"It's not just important for me, but for the whole club," Ozil told the Mail on Sunday. "It's important to know if he stays or if he goes. We need to think towards next season.

"He's very important. In my career I've always made decisions not just because of clubs, but managers too.

"As a footballer, it's important to have the manager's trust and believe they can develop you.

"When I went from (Real) Madrid to Arsenal, I came for him because I told him at the time he'd be my first option. That was the case. We still have a super understanding today.

"I have his trust, he's a superb coach. He's been successful for many years, he's been here for 20 years and has always managed to get Arsenal to reach the Champions League, making Arsenal a big club.

"He deserves to be shown respect."

Wenger is bidding to steer Arsenal into the Champions League for the 20th season in succession.

His side trail Manchester City, who occupy the fourth and final Champions League qualifying spot, by seven points, but have two games in hand, beginning with Monday's trip to Crystal Palace.

Ozil, 28, said his decision on whether or not to extend his contract was not contingent on Champions League qualification.

"I haven't thought about that. The club comes first, not Mesut Ozil or anyone," he said.

"The team have the aim to reach the Champions League and I'll fight for that. In the summer we have enough time to talk about the future and we'll do that."

He added: "I'm very happy. I have a connection with the club. I love London, it's great to live here, but I can't say today what will happen in the future. In the summer we'll definitely talk."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:52 am 

The latest reports are that we are willing to pay Sanchez £300,000 a week to tempt him to stay at the club. This might well be a strategy from the club to shift the blame to him if he leaves. Then again, the club hasn't demonstrated any communicative craft of that sort in the past...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:28 pm 

Sanchez to Man city and Ozil to Man United for free. That's the prospect we're left with in January. What hurts more is neither player as played a pivotal role this season so far. I maintain we should've sold when we had the chance. Arsenal is bigger than any one player or two in this case.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:34 pm 

I'm OK with having kept Sanchez. That said, I think there was a middle ground to have him resign on a two year deal. He gets a pay increase with the caveat we agree to sell him at the end of this season for a reasonable fee somewhere he wants to go. The player gets paid, the club saves face with the prospect of recouping a fee. All parties could have been reasonably happy with that, but we panicked and fucked that possibility up the tail end of the transfer window. Still glad we didn't send him to City. Regardless, on the sporting front Sanchez will give his all, he can't help it.

Had anyone come in with a reasonable bid for Ozil I think he was GONE. I don't believe there is much market for a pure number 10 anymore, particularly one who unbalances the rest of the squad. I am a bit surprised he hasn't signed an extension in light of the lack of interest during the summer.

Irregardless I'll support them while they are here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:19 am 
Acclaimed member

For better or for worse Arsenal has made the call to keep them, try to resign them, and if they don't, lose them. Fine. We should stick with that and not have the whole January window, or the rest of the season (it's bloody October for christ's sake) hijacked with speculation. There's nothing to even speculate about: we're not going to get 60m for Alexis in January and it's stupid to let him go for 20 or 30m when you've already decided to lose that money and keep him a year.

What we really should be focusing on is, OK, the club decided they can afford to lose the Alexis money. So actually follow through with that strategy and invest more in the team - not necessarily by paying big money for a player, but by signing players the team will need going forward. What happens with Alexis or Ozil really shouldn't impact that, because that's the strategy the club has gone for. If everything is dependent on their future then we should have sold them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:47 pm 

I agree, no turning back now we just have to get on with it. The thing is I see this having a detrimental effect on our transfer activity over the next few summers. You think a club who barter over everything are gonna kiss £100 mil good bye?? Just like that?? No way!! We'll be made to pay for this with minor transfer over the next few years.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:05 am 

There were rumours that Kroenke had wanted a net profit following the lack of Champions League, which if true, would suggest he will want to recoup any money he misses out on this year. However, Ozil and Sanchez going doesn't really lose the club money, not tangibly anyway. The bean counters could say we were £40 million down from last year (even though in the end we weren't!) Ozil and Sanchez leaving wouldn't affect the money, just the number of players. You could argue we actually save money as their wages disappear, so with all that, I hope the fans, media and Usmanov crawl all over Kroenke and the board if it looks like a pauper's transfer window.

That said, the transfer window just gone could have a detriment on future business and probably will, given the ridiculous explosion in transfer fees. We would need to replace Sanchez and Ozil with equally good players (very difficult, if not impossible for the former) in a market where £45 million gets you Sigurdsson and £40 million gets you the Ox.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:25 pm 
Acclaimed member

So did we do the right thing keeping them?

It feels at the moment like we are treading water and the impending departures of Sanchez and Ozil I think is holding back the team. We can not build a team around these two now they are not staying and yet Wenger is still trying to do exactly that. Wenger used to be a long term strategist but it seems now everything is so short term. It's probably tied to his own future ( I can see him retiring at the end of the season) but it will cost the club long term.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next