It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 Squad Analysis
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:07 pm 

I totally agree with Arcaliea with the positions where we need to strenght. But I think our new cm needs to have power and strenght, a type Yaya Toure for example.
ANd for the attacking position is my wet dream to get Mbappe... But I think he's out of our price range.

DM:
Cech
Sczcesny
Martinez

CB:*
Mustafi
Koscielny
Gabriel
Holding
Mertesacker
Chambers
Monreal

RWB:
Bellerin
Chamberlain

LWB:
Monreal
Kolasinic
Bramall

Dynamic central midfielder:
Ramsey
Coquelin
NEW

Playmaker:
Xhaka
Cazorla
Wilshere

Attackingmidfield right:
Ozil
Wilshere
Iwobi
Welbeck

Attackingmidfield left:
Sanchez
Iwobi
Welbeck

Striker:
NEW
Giroud
Welbeck
Nigerian striker

The player who can/will leave are:
Ospina (Would like to see Sczcesny back)
Debuchy (not good enough)
Jenkinson (nog good enough)
*CB: I think 6 centre backs are to many, so I think one will leave. Gabriel? Chambers? Mertesacker?
Gibbs (not good enough and with Kolasinic coming in not neccesary anymore)
Elneny (not good enough plus he would be like 6th choice if we bring in a new powerful cm)
Lucas (Didn't get any chance from wenger and I think he will leave)
Walcott (This is a doubt, as he can play in our new system, but what IF we want to go back to our 'old' system? Then we have only Chamberlain as a right winger)
Giroud (This is the biggest doubt. If we can get for example Mbappe and we have Welbeck and sign that new Nigerian striker... is there any place for Giroud then? Also Sanchez can play upfront. I would like to keep him as he can be our 'supersub' and brings something different than the other striker... but I can imagaine that he will leave.

IF we can keep our best players (Ozil&Sanchez) and add two top quality players then there is no excuses anymore for Wenger

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:31 pm 
Acclaimed member

Tubzinho wrote:
How do we replace Sanchez and Ozil? It's a question we don't want to ask but we have to if they won't sign new deals.

Do we look at a central midfielder and move Ramsey forward into that space where he plays for Wales? Cazorla can play in that position but is injured, Iwobi can play in that position. Can Wilshere? Could Joel Campbell play there? Surely we need another in there? There are a lot of goals and assists being removed by Sanchez and Ozil so they need to come from somewhere.

Re: Ozil, I'd look towards a true attacking midfielder and leaving Ramsey where he is. He's found his niche and doesn't have the dynamism I'd want in a forward-three (a bit like Fabregas) and it also can negate his runs from deep.

I'd look towards a scorer and creator, such as Emil Forsberg. He is a decent replicate of Robert Pires in terms of style and has the type of eye for a pass that will unlock defences, but will also make runs off the ball to get amongst the goals. Completely uncomplicated player, he really impressed me this season.

Sanchez is a more thorny issue as he offers so much on both sides of the coin. It is imperative that we either have a reliable striker or a reliable source of goals from midfield; if Sanchez leaves we are doubly short. The most obvious short-term replacement is Dries Mertens, who has been an absolute joker this season in arguably Europe's most attractive team to watch. His play-mate on the left of midfield, Insigne, is another player with that 'X' factor and who could really thrive over the coming five years.

I haven't seen Forsberg linked away and Napoli are 'holes to deal with, so how possible those are is a moot point. I'd have snapped your hand off for Mahrez twelve months ago, but after a mediocre season there is some cause for doubt. In fact, it is not even his mediocre season that bothers me, more that he's become what Sanchez was in his second season at Arsenal; predictable, reliant on one move.

There are a few players who could be viable targets though; another name that sprung to mind for the Ozil role is Hakan Calhanoglu, although I haven't seen much of him this year at underperforming Leverkusen.

Internally, Iwobi could offer a solution, but it is noticeable that his omission coincided with the move to 3421. He has the game, but doesn't yet offer enough of a regular source of goals. He could easily make a breakthrough, but asking him to outright replace one of our two marquee players is a tough ask. I would much prefer to see him as the 'option' player. Wilshere wouldn't even be on the cards for me; if we want to use him in the squad, great, but we cannot rely on this player's availability, despite his season at Bournemouth.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:09 pm 
Acclaimed member

Bearing in mind that he appears to have been told to find a new club. If he were available, wanted to stay in London and wasn't planning to be swayed by copious amounts of yen; Diego Costa.

Would you?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:43 pm 

I wouldn't.

I know there's the whole "he's a ****, but he's our ****" line of thinking, but Costa is just an unbearable fucking idiot that cheats a lot and whines a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:55 pm 
Acclaimed member

I suspect he'll want a megaton wage. If he was willing, I don't know - he's reprehensible in a way few others are, and as good as he is, I'm not sure how well he'd fit with the team. Unless he's available a lot cheaper than we'd suspect, doesn't even seem like the greatest deal footballistically.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:36 am 
Acclaimed member

Diego Costa and his greedy agent have created this situation chasing Chinese megabucks - kudo's to Conte for basically telling him where to go and to Abramovich to supporting Conte.. He is a divisive character and not a player I think Wenger would want at this club.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:56 pm 
Acclaimed member

Diego Costa? To be honest he's not worth all the hype at all. I don't think he's at all that great a forward anyway (certainly he's no Didier Drogba) but all the baggage that goes with him just makes it an automatic no for me. Just not the kind of team player you want at your club because, basically, he's a liability waiting to happen.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:31 pm 
Acclaimed member

Amidst all the talk of big-ticket signings such as Mbappe and Lacazette, I've been watching the Confederations Cup and keeping an eye on Aleksandr Golovin; a creative midfielder from CSKA Moscow who we have been regularly linked to lately.

Very impressed with his technical level, which is streets ahead of anything else in a Russian shirt. He reminds me strongly of a young Tomas Rosicky, with a rare presence of mind, balance and appreciation of space on the ball, allied to a deft touch and ability to protect possession and deceive opponents through frequent body swerves. He looks every inch an Arsenal player.

If I had to critique, at this stage of his development he is perhaps a little too much of a playmaker and too often stands back and admires his work rather than passing and moving decisively through an opponent. However, he looks a gem of a talent and could be a very underappreciated pickup if the rumours of a £10m move are accurate. He's got game.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:43 pm 

So we now have Kolasinac, Lacazette hopefully in the next 24 hours, and still rumours of Mahrez, Mbappe, Lemar, Gelson Martins and Carvalho.

Wenger came out at the end of the season and said 3 players, which makes me think is that meaning 3 players dependent on who leaves and who stays, say if we were to sign Mahrez, Mbappe (Chances are never), Lemar and Carvalho, before the start of the season, that says to me that Sanchez will be away by the end of the window.

We still need to know who our reserve GK will be, I would love someone else to come in as Cech's understudy as I don't think Szczesny will want to be an understudy, in terms of defence if Ox and Jenkinson leave then we need someone to be understudy to Bellerin.

I think we have enough in that DM role that we don't need to go for a Carvalho unless it is an improvement on who is already there.

Up front wise I expect Welbeck to stay, Perez and Giroud will be gone (even though Giroud has been a good servant), Walcott possibly too.

If we lose 5 players this window then I hope Wenger will go for more than 3 to make up the numbers, as long as it is quality like we have signed so far then I will be happy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:11 am 

Just to add to that Swanny, David Ornstein, a very reliable source on Twitter, has said that we are still in the market for more players, but that any future deal likely depends on what happens with Özil, Alexis, Oxlade-Chamberlain etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:01 am 

Jules wrote:
Just to add to that Swanny, David Ornstein, a very reliable source on Twitter, has said that we are still in the market for more players, but that any future deal likely depends on what happens with Özil, Alexis, Oxlade-Chamberlain etc.

My only worry with that Jules is Arsene and the board's uncanny knack of letting players like Ozil, Alexis, Ox and Walcott (Who is being mooted about today for a move to West Ham) going on the 28th of August and us having 3 days to replace them all and ending up with Sanogo's, it is all fine and good us doing some really good business at the beginning of July, if Wenger and whoever is behind the scenes working with him can tie up maybe 2 or 3 more signings after Lacazette then I really will be happy if we lose these players at the end of August, in a sense it means that we can plan with what we have and maybe look towards January to add more depth if we need it.

The only other issue I have is that our signings have to be limited by this new wage structure rule and if all these players that could be off in August are on £100,000+ contracts then we kind of need to be able to get rid earlier to support new signings, hopefully if that is the case the players that we are targeting will still be available and not snapped up by other clubs by then.

I don't want to lose Ozil, or Oxlade Chamberlain, I am kind of on the fence with Alexis at the moment, I don't want him to go, but then I don't want him running down his contract and maybe not putting in a shift (Although I think he is the type of player that will still give his all to showcase his talent).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:48 pm 
Acclaimed member

I'm actually open to losing Oxlaide-Chamberlain. He is a good player but if he wants to play central midfield, I can not see that happening here. He is a good central midfield player but doesn't really excel in any specific area e.g. Ramsey has those late runs into the box, Xhaka has a wand of a left foot, Elneny pops up to keep the ball moving, Coquelin is more a ball winner. Chamberlain is more of a jack of all trades / master of none type of player in central midfield and I think he would be 5th or 6th choice in our current squad. I don't think he even pushes the aforementioned 4 players for a place there, let alone Cazorla. And he is at an age where with his talent (which I don't doubt - he is a talented player) he should have a defined role and not be this utility type player. I would take £25-30 million and move him on.

The reserve keeper role - it was rumoured the Martinez was going to be promoted as reserve anyway but at the moment we are still top heavy there as with a number of positions - Szczesny and Ospina are still both Arsenal players. We need to trim this squad a little so expect the next few weeks to be more players leaving than players staying.

But this Alexis and Ozil thing still needs sorting.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:32 pm 

Funny you mention that left wand of Xsaka's, anyone else wonder if he will potentially be moved up to replace Ozil if he goes?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:56 pm 
Acclaimed member

Not for me, he isn't anywhere near dynamic enough to play in a two behind a central striker. Has all the passing quality, but wouldn't offer any ability to work the channels, to run in behind, to offer a goal threat, a counter threat, the sharp presence of mind and quickness of interchange that someone like Ozil can offer. It's just not his game.

At best, he could be the most advanced central midfielder in a three, in a system that utilised two widemen.

As for Oxlade-Chamberlain, I'd find it odd for him to leave just at the time he has finally found his niche in the squad. But if he sees himself as a central midfielder then he is mistaken. He is utilitarian at best. It almost harks back to the time Beckham wanted to be a central midfielder, but had nothing to offer there.

For Arsenal, Oxlade-Chamberlain is a push and run winger, which translates very nicely to a role as a very aggressive 3421 wingback. Or, possibly, even one of the two attacking midfielders in a system focused on a counter-attack. A deeper-lying central midfielder though? No, I just don't see that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:36 pm 

1 week left till the deadline.
2 games, 3 points.
How is our squad at this moment. There will be still some departures like Gibbs, Debuchy, Lucas.
I also expect that we loan out Bielik, Adelaide and Maitland Niles. So that means our squad will count exactly 25 players included Joel Campbell who is injured and I can't see us selling him. Iwobi is still counting as -21 so that means there is one or max 2 spots left in the squad.
We are still linked with Lemar. As I really like the player, I don't know where to play him? Ozil-Lacazette-Sanchez are our frontmen, with Giroud, Iwobi, Walcott and Welbeck behind them.
I rather want us to sign a world class central defender and maybe a new central midfielder. But with Wilshere back in the squad and hopefully Santi somewhere at the start of 2018 that isn't the main priority.
Ramsey-Xhaka is our first choice pair in central midfield with Coquelin, Wilshere and Elneny (who I doesn't mind if we sell him) as back ups.

I also want to see either Kolasinic or Monreal on left wing back instead of Bellerin/Chamberlain. Wengers needs to make a choice and we need to have a left footed player on left wing back who can give some crosses

There are a few central defenders that I really like us to sign.
Van Dijk
Koulibaly
Laporte
Aldeweireld (seems like he doesn't want to renew his contract... where did I heard that before?)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next