It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Granit Xhaka
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:07 pm 
Offline
Acclaimed member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:56 pm
Posts: 11216
So after yesterday's game against Burnley, aside from Wenger trying his hand at MMA with the officials the other main talking point is Xhaka.

It is a shame because he has a great passing range on him and a wand of a left foot and he could be a player who could be a regular here for a few years if he sorts the mental side out. However, for all that talent he is a liability at the moment. He is avoiding costing the team points at the moment but there will come a point when he will cost the team big time.

Is this something that Xhaka will be able to cut out? Comparison's will be made with Vieira and how he did but I think it is slightly different. Vieira was more about getting wound up and reacting whereas Xhaka is more about rash decisions in my opinion, making unnecessary fouls. It not just stupid lunges but also the penalties as well he will give away which were unnecessary.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Granit Xhaka
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:20 am 
Offline
Acclaimed member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:31 am
Posts: 4616
He had a bad record in Germany as I understand it and at 24, one worries the penny might never drop. One expects his performances to get even better as he adjusts to a new league, he does have a range of passing, ups our tempo and gives us an attacking threat when he gets forward, that will keep improving. His ability to work out not to be reckless and endanger the team? Not so sure.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Granit Xhaka
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:15 pm 
Offline
Acclaimed member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:56 pm
Posts: 11216
Granit Xhaka: Arsenal player questioned over racial abuse allegation
By Richard Conway 24th January 2017
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38736988

Arsenal midfielder Granit Xhaka has been interviewed under caution by police following an allegation he racially abused an airline staff member at Heathrow on Monday night. Swiss Xhaka, 24, is believed to have been with a friend who had visited him in London and was returning home. The man is understood to have arrived late for his flight back to Germany and was not allowed to board. It is at this point that the racial abuse is alleged to have occurred. Arsenal have declined to comment other than to say it is a private matter that is now in the hands of the police.

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police told the BBC: "Police were called at 19:29 GMT on Monday, 23 January following an allegation that a member of staff had been racially abused at Heathrow Airport, Terminal Five. The allegation was made by a third party. Officers attended and spoke with a man in his 20s. He was not arrested. He voluntarily attended a west London police station where he was interviewed under caution. Enquires continue." The incident occurred just over 24 hours after Xhaka was sent off during his team's 2-1 victory over Burnley in the Premier League.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Granit Xhaka
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:08 pm 
Offline
Acclaimed member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:04 am
Posts: 6067
Location: AL Fantasy League: 564725-182113
As Tubz hinted in the OP, it often seems that Xhaka's reds and pens are not about rush of blood to the head, a question of temperament - instead it's a technical problem. If we take the Burnley one, never mind the bad pass to start off with. It's a bad decision to go for a tackle like that; it's bad technique to tackle like that; and it's even bad technique to make it look a lot worse than it was.

I don't know if that makes it easier or harder to solve, but seems like he needs to refrain from making low-probability tackles, and/or practice not making them look so scythey.

This is probably made harder by the job he's been given, where he's supposed to be the one defensive lying midfielder while he's got 5 players ahead of him bombing around. His reds have come in stupid places very high up the pitch, but he's probably on guard all game thinking lose the ball at half-way line and we've got a counter and a goal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Granit Xhaka
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:48 am 
Offline
Acclaimed member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:56 pm
Posts: 11216
He has to learn that sometimes you can't win the ball but that doesn't mean you can not defend the situation. The penalties for example. From what I can remember in both cases the player was going away from goal. A competent defender would just continue to shepherd the player out of the area and away from goal and then try and nick the ball but if not, let the player run down a blind alley. But Xhaka feels this need to have to win it all out and thats where the problems begin. There is nothing wrong with having the desire to win the ball but you have be smart enough to know when you can and when you can't and he has played enough football now for that penny to start dropping more frequently than it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Granit Xhaka
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:11 pm 
Offline
Acclaimed member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:56 pm
Posts: 11216
Thinking about the Wilshere situation, when everyone is back to full fitness does Xhaka actually have a function our midfield, even if we play with a three in there as opposed to a two?

He is not good enough defensively to act as an anchor to the team, win the ball and keep it simple. Also he shows little desire to want to do those things. He is not good enough at carrying the ball between the lines like a Cazorla or Wilshere to push the team forward. He is not good enough at sitting deep and dictating the play. He is not as good at breaking forward and getting in the box like a Ramsey.

I'm not actually too sure what he is better than other players in this team at all other than a willingness to have a pop at goal from 40 yards every so often. His strength is supposed to be his passing and range of passing. Yet looking at some stats today, his passing stats are not that great for a player whose main attribute is passing and for a player who predominantly is not involved directly in the final third.

And then there are the silly fouls as well which are still an issue with him and he seems to give away more fouls than everyone else.

I'm not sure if the problem is him or the team and the way the team plays but at the moment, I don't know if he is doing enough to set himself apart from other options in the team.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Granit Xhaka
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:41 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 3388
Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
Tubzinho wrote:
Thinking about the Wilshere situation, when everyone is back to full fitness does Xhaka actually have a function our midfield, even if we play with a three in there as opposed to a two?

He is not good enough defensively to act as an anchor to the team, win the ball and keep it simple. Also he shows little desire to want to do those things. He is not good enough at carrying the ball between the lines like a Cazorla or Wilshere to push the team forward. He is not good enough at sitting deep and dictating the play. He is not as good at breaking forward and getting in the box like a Ramsey.

I'm not actually too sure what he is better than other players in this team at all other than a willingness to have a pop at goal from 40 yards every so often. His strength is supposed to be his passing and range of passing. Yet looking at some stats today, his passing stats are not that great for a player whose main attribute is passing and for a player who predominantly is not involved directly in the final third.

And then there are the silly fouls as well which are still an issue with him and he seems to give away more fouls than everyone else.

I'm not sure if the problem is him or the team and the way the team plays but at the moment, I don't know if he is doing enough to set himself apart from other options in the team.


24 appearances 4 assists and 1 goals so far this season isnt bad for a midfielder of his type and they are his best ever stats. I did like him in the 3 man midfield yesterday where we are not so reliant on his defensive positioning. If he can notch up to 10 assists this season I would say that's not bad for a deep lying playmaker.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Granit Xhaka
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:16 pm 
Offline
Acclaimed member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:56 pm
Posts: 11216
Team South East wrote:
24 appearances 4 assists and 1 goals so far this season isnt bad for a midfielder of his type and they are his best ever stats. I did like him in the 3 man midfield yesterday where we are not so reliant on his defensive positioning. If he can notch up to 10 assists this season I would say that's not bad for a deep lying playmaker.


That's not bad if those assists are coming from open play. But I think the vast majority, if not all of those assists are from corners, like the one from yesterday.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Granit Xhaka
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:08 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 3388
Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
Tubzinho wrote:
Team South East wrote:
24 appearances 4 assists and 1 goals so far this season isnt bad for a midfielder of his type and they are his best ever stats. I did like him in the 3 man midfield yesterday where we are not so reliant on his defensive positioning. If he can notch up to 10 assists this season I would say that's not bad for a deep lying playmaker.


That's not bad if those assists are coming from open play. But I think the vast majority, if not all of those assists are from corners, like the one from yesterday.


Yes, the rest were from open play.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Granit Xhaka
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:27 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:47 am
Posts: 765
Location: UK
Quote:

24 appearances 4 assists and 1 goals so far this season isnt bad for a midfielder of his type and they are his best ever stats. I did like him in the 3 man midfield yesterday where we are not so reliant on his defensive positioning. If he can notch up to 10 assists this season I would say that's not bad for a deep lying playmaker.


I'd be surprised if after 4 assists in 24 games, he can get another 6 in just 14. For me he gives the ball away too often. I don't rate him in the least but he could just be another player I don't 'get' or be a victim of formation etc. Really don't know but think we could have spent £35 million more effectively.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Granit Xhaka
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:21 pm 
Offline
Acclaimed member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:56 pm
Posts: 11216
Team South East wrote:
Yes, the rest were from open play.


I was sad enough to check it out - its 1 assist from open play and it was Aaron Ramsey's brilliant finish vs Leicester on the opening day, which in fairness was more about what Ramsey did when he received the ball than anything outstanding Xhaka did with the pass. The other 3 are from corners, including a second assist in the Leicester game for Giroud's winner.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Granit Xhaka
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:38 pm 
Offline
Acclaimed member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:14 am
Posts: 6989
Location: Camouflaged
Tubzinho wrote:

I was sad enough to check it out - its 1 assist from open play and it was Aaron Ramsey's brilliant finish vs Leicester on the opening day, which in fairness was more about what Ramsey did when he received the ball than anything outstanding Xhaka did with the pass. The other 3 are from corners, including a second assist in the Leicester game for Giroud's winner.


I make this ^ correct too; only as he's in a couple of my Telegraph FF teams and I've been keeping track.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Granit Xhaka
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:38 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 3388
Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
LoneGunner wrote:
Tubzinho wrote:

I was sad enough to check it out - its 1 assist from open play and it was Aaron Ramsey's brilliant finish vs Leicester on the opening day, which in fairness was more about what Ramsey did when he received the ball than anything outstanding Xhaka did with the pass. The other 3 are from corners, including a second assist in the Leicester game for Giroud's winner.


I make this ^ correct too; only as he's in a couple of my Telegraph FF teams and I've been keeping track.


OK, I beg for your pardon then. I stand corrected. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Granit Xhaka
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:41 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 3388
Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
Emperor wrote:
Quote:

24 appearances 4 assists and 1 goals so far this season isnt bad for a midfielder of his type and they are his best ever stats. I did like him in the 3 man midfield yesterday where we are not so reliant on his defensive positioning. If he can notch up to 10 assists this season I would say that's not bad for a deep lying playmaker.


I'd be surprised if after 4 assists in 24 games, he can get another 6 in just 14. For me he gives the ball away too often. I don't rate him in the least but he could just be another player I don't 'get' or be a victim of formation etc. Really don't know but think we could have spent £35 million more effectively.


He seems more effective when he isn't the holding midfielder. I liked his role he played in the 4-1-4-1 formation we played on Saturday. He can be a good box to box type IMO but I don't think he is as effective in a 2 man midfield.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Granit Xhaka
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:55 pm 
Offline
Acclaimed member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:56 pm
Posts: 11216
Team South East wrote:
He seems more effective when he isn't the holding midfielder. I liked his role he played in the 4-1-4-1 formation we played on Saturday. He can be a good box to box type IMO but I don't think he is as effective in a 2 man midfield.


But what does he do to make him effective even in a three? He took set pieces and nearly got into a fight but what else made him stand out on Saturday? Thats the point, you can see what Elneny is in there to do, you can see what Wilshere tries to do, you can see what Ramsey tries to do and offers when he plays as you could with Coquelin and Cazorla. Even though some of those players are limited, you kind of know what they offer. But what really does Xhaka give other than a bit of attitude? Even his supposed major strength, his passing range, is not necessarily outstanding when you look at the stats. He just seems lost in there, not knowing really what his role is and ends up trying to do things that he is not good at and getting himself in trouble.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron