It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Arsenal vs Watford.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:47 pm 

Throwing the points away then. I can't believe a professional footballer can play 2 games a week without needing to be "rested". Iwobi gets another start, joke.

Post subject: Re: Arsenal vs Watford.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:28 pm 

Back 4 could be exposed and the bench is very weak. Iwobi and Xhaka aren't very good. That said, if they show the attitude from the Milan game, they can be ok. Still concerned though!

Cech, Maitland-Niles, Holding, Mustafi, Kolasinac, Elneny, Xhaka, Mkhi, Ozil, Iwobi, Aubameyang

Ospina, Wilshere, Welbeck, Nketiah, Nelson, Willock, Chambers

Edit: Lots of empty seats again apparently (even though they've probably all been sold).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:38 pm 

Mustafi 1-0 :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:41 pm 
Acclaimed member

manuhater wrote:
Throwing the points away then. I can't believe a professional footballer can play 2 games a week without needing to be "rested". Iwobi gets another start, joke.

manuhater complains about the lineup every single week, most of his specific complaints end up being entirely incorrect :lol:

For once, though, Iwobi was indeed one of our poorest players; none of his penetrative passes came off, and he didn't have great partnership with Kolasinac either. We really seem to need another attacking player, so that we don't have to play Iwobi so much, and so that we don't play Welbeck at all. (Maybe Reine-Adelaide / Nelson?)

We did a great job of it. In the first half we matched Watford for physicality and added crisp passing to boot, Aubameyang should have had another. Mkhitaryan and Xhaka showed good hustle and tenacity despite being underequipped for the battle, build-wise. And for all the mistakes Cech has made recently, he was excellent today.

I really enjoy seeing Elneny sneak up on players having a 1v1 battle for the ball, and just getting in a toe or shoulder to nudge the opponent off. Cheeky and effective. :thumbup:

Do you know, I don't think we've won 3 games in a row all season? It's criminal - and let's hope we correct that this time against Milan.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:07 pm 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
ArsvWat Stats:

Attachments:
ARSVWAT.JPG
ARSVWAT.JPG [ 105.62 KiB | Viewed 781 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:25 pm 

Well done, boys, a great result following on from Milan. Congrats to Cech for his 200th clean sheet and even more for a penalty save, made even better considering who took it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:46 pm 
Acclaimed member

I thought Elneny was the pick of the bunch. Intelligent pass out of defence instigated the move for the opening goal, penetrative pass set-up Kolasinac for a poor ball that should have led to a second, and then his square ball helped put Ozil in for another clear chance. Allied to a calm, assured presence always looking for a forward pass, he was excellent.

Sloppy fifteen minutes after half-time could have been our undoing, but Watford didn't have much of an answer as we turned on the afterburners. Aubameyang brings a type of goal threat that we haven't had for a while, the art of simplifying football through movement.

Where were Deeney's 'cojones' today? No mark fuck.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:52 pm 

Best ever performance I've seen from Elneny, able to nick in and keep us ticking over, but added penetrative passing like I've never seen from him. I don't know if the movement in front of him was better or he finally decided to look forward more, but excellent mix of control and incision showing good balance.

Xhaka was better as well tracking back and marking better than usual. Had a couple of takeaways coming from behind and winning the ball to help out the back line. Almost undid his good work the one time with a crazy back heel in the box though.

Mkhitaryan was great and I though he deserved a penalty, scored one goal anyway. Could do without some of the flicks and back heels that failed to come off in our own half.

Maitland-Niles calm and great recovery speed. A little raggaed for the last 15 minutes or so but so were others. Unnecessary to hold his leg out for the penalty he gave away, but fantastic to see Cech save it for once. I just had a feeling he was going to save this one and stick it to Deeny, very enjoyable. Loved Mad Jens Lehman laughing in the stand too.

Mustafi was a monster in defense and provided the opening goal.

We looked up for this, passion, incision, desire and communication. Good to see players talking on the pitch and getting themselves organized. We still have some things to clean up but this was quite an enjoyable match. :thumbup: