It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Who Will Be The New Manager?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:19 am 

So, after this morning's blockbuster announcement, who do you think will replace Arsene Wenger? Who do you want?

Post subject: Re: Who Will Be The New Manager?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:27 am 

I am still hoping for Tuchel, although I know that it's very, very unlikely.

Any other candidate that has been named so far has been rather underwhelming for me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:43 pm 
Acclaimed member

Tuchel is going to PSG by all accounts. Luis Enrique should also be going to Chelsea despite what Guillerme Balague thinks. Those two are pretty much out of it as far as I'm concerned.

I have a feeling that Joachim Low is the man we want but I also have a feeling we won't get him.

I also think the club want a young manager trying to build something long term rather than a proven manager. Which kind of makes it odd why I think Low is our number one target but I think if the club can't get Low / aren't prepared to pay for him then they will approach it in a different way and go young.

Therefore at this early stage I think we will end up with Mikel Arteta. Which will be amazingly underwhelming and unambitious despite what the Arsenal board think. Even Vieira would be a step up from Arteta - at least Vieira has managed a club and also has won big honours with the club (I don't think we would get Vieira though if we went for him either - I don't think Man City would want to let him go).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:07 pm 

Arteta would probably be worse than sticking with Wenger. We need an experienced seasoned manager not someone just starting out. This is not a job for someone cutting their teeth in management, even Vieira. Knowing how crap the Club hierarchy is this appointment could turn into a disaster. My choices, Allegri, Tuchel, Low, Simeone, Ancelotti but I fear this will be fucked up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:24 pm 
Acclaimed member

Gazidis has said the following:

"We need to be open-minded and also brave in the decision. When Arsene was appointed, I don't think he was on many people's radar.

"That doesn't mean we have to repeat that but it does mean we have to be bold in the appointment. Get the person we believe is the right person."

I interpret that as sowing the seed for an appointment that is not going to be of the reputation of manager the fans may expect.

The board have to be careful. There is already discontent with them in the way they have kept Wenger in for so long, the overall running of the club (contracts etc), ticket prices and their general attitude to their customer base, which is what they see us supporters as. They are not going to be able to hide behind an inexperienced coach like they did Wenger if it does go wrong. Also a coach like that is not going to have the pulling power of a Wenger in regards to players and keeping current players onside. It could get a lot worse before it gets better.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:21 pm 
Acclaimed member

I mean, some of it is true - we might find it difficult to align the stars to bring in the most reputable and attractive manager (e.g. Simeone), and if the choice is between an experienced manager with some question marks (e.g. Rodgers) and a calculated risk on someone who they are very convinced by, then I wouldn't mind the latter.

Now, whether Arteta, for example, would convince the players, or Wenger, or anybody else, that he is the one, who knows? It's hard for the fans to know what their managerial potential is.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:25 pm 
Acclaimed member

I was not expecting this news when I came home for lunch today.

Whomever we appoint, the board need to ensure that man is aligned to the ethos of the club. That is not to say a manager who will be cowed by the board and not challenge decisions, but we should not appoint any manager who can only operate with significant funding or whom will throw a tantrum if they aren't provided with a raft of £50m players; managers such as Conte would be a no-go zone for me.

Names? There are a number, given time of thought. Early contenders for me could be:

Unai Emery - may leave PSG, builds robust, potent teams and is very successful; three successive Europa League wins.
Maurizio Sarri - like players, Italian coaches can be hit and miss outside of their homeland. Can't ignore what Sarri has achieved at Napoli; the only credible challenger to Juventus and built one of the most attractive teams around to watch. Questionable defensive ethic perhaps, may need to rethink for the Premier League.
Leonardo Jardim - last season's successes with Monaco were unexpected and outstanding. Resolute coach who also managed to weather an early, rocky start in the Principality.
Julian Nagelsmann - his age wouldn't be problematic for me. He has shown his chops in fine style at Hoffenheim and commands respect. The sort of bright, innovative coach that our departing manager was in his earlier days. A benefit, here, is that he should already be very familiar with three of our top attacking players, and be able to slot into life very comfortably.

There are others, but I wouldn't turn down any of those four unless language was a serious problem (I keep reading that Jardim isn't conversant).

Elsewhere, Joachim Low is a safe but middling appointment (albeit again has some of the benefits of Nagelsmann); Brendan Rodgers shouldn't be near a 50-man list; and Arteta would be a bit of a wildcard, arguably joke appointment.

Emery for a safe pair of hands, Sarri for ambition and balls-out passion and style; Nagelsmann for a manager not weathered by tradition, baggage and who could re-mould Arsenal in a new way.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:18 am 

Has any other managerial departure taken up almost an entire day of SSN or other TV in football history?! Unconfirmed reports (Sky's words, not mine) that we have approached Enrique, while Brendan Rodgers (apt name but hopefully as close to the job as I am) is way up in the betting.

Having looked at a range of comments online (not here), there's a mix of gratitude, vitriol, classless abuse and warnings of impending doom. The Be careful what you wish for' rubbish I've mentioned before.

As for spoken words, some of Gazidis' words didn't ring true to me, as if he didn't believe them himself. I'm hoping that the managerial decision 'must be bold' is not a snide play on words as that would be disastrous.

To suggest we are in a stronger position than when he started is basically correct but also open to conjecture; we are one of the richest clubs in the world with a brand new stadium and generate more revenue than we ever could back in '96. We have solidified our status as having more titles than anyone bar 2 clubs and more FA Cups than anyone full stop. If, and it's a big if, we win the Europa League then he leaves a club back in the elite competition and able to generate the revenue and quality of players required.

I admit I'm not really qualified to talk about revenue so that's just my opinion. I know our wage bill is high but I don't know how it compares to 1996 in terms of inflation or percentage of income. I also don't know the transfer budget in 1996 and how it correlates to what will be available now.

If we don't win it, then we are left in the Europa League next year, which is the same competition Bruce Rioch qualified for. He inherited a world class defence and goalkeeper, which is definitely not what will be left for his successor. He took over a club which had won 2 titles and 4 cups in 10 years. He leaves the club with no titles in 14 years and 3 cups between 2008-2018.

Signings wise, Vieira and Petit were quick and discreet deals which benefited the club - with the World Cup and a shorter transfer window, new signings are going to have to be done similarly. Previously, around £6 million + had been spent/wasted? on Hartson, Kiwomya and Helder; £70 million has been spent on Xhaka and Mustafi.

He gave us history which may never be repeated; 2 Doubles in 4 years, the Invincible Season and 20 years in the Champions League. Yet, we had already done the Double and the first Cup Double and won the title losing just the one game. We also had history before. Not history as in existing which Chelsea and City fans desperately point to, but history of prestige and success. We were already, still are and probably forever will be, the team with the longest unbroken run in domestic football's top flight, hitting the century next year.

I don't like to say it but Sky are presenting this like he has died. Yes, it's the end of an era as no other manager will ever be given 22 years at the same club (at this level) but they need to tone it down a touch. It's not deadline day and it's not a chance to get more cash out of the subscribers.

Arsenal has existed for 132 years; we'll still be here after this. None of this is meant to sound ungrateful as I hate change, I really effing hate it. I was 18 when Arsene got the job and now I'm 40, fat and tired out. When he waves goodbye I will, like many others post a tribute to him. He is responsible for some of the best ever times of my life and I love the man for that. The names he is called on other forums and social media speaks volumes about the amount of vermin in this world and no matter how many times we lose 8-2, he does not deserve to be derided and insulted in such a way.

It's up to the board now. Do they choose a patsy so they can have some breathing space or do they go for someone who will say it as it is and back him to get rid of the last few bits of overpaid dross? It's going to be exciting, maybe not always positively so, but interesting nonetheless. Of course, if it's Pardew or Rodgers, I may prefer to snorkel in pig vomit.

Last edited by Emperor on Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:17 am 
Acclaimed member

Quote:
That is not to say a manager who will be cowed by the board and not challenge decisions,

I actually think a strong character is an absolute necessity. Not because we need the new manager to replicate the degree of control and respect Arsene had; that's not possible, anyway. But because if we get a 'nicer' manager, there will be a massive vacuum in authority and leadership, and then we will suddenly find board and other management personnel itching to influence decisions made around the club. Most of whom probably shouldn't be anywhere near it. I think we will see even more damaging politics in and aorund the club should the manager not come in and take charge.

I really hope, above all, that they can pick someone, go for that someone with gusto, and then stick to that new manager as they stuck to Arsene. I would hate to see Gazidis or Mislintat or whoever else start to create factions and fight over managers and whatnot.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:17 am 
Acclaimed member

Emperor wrote:
I don't like to say it but Sky are presenting this like he has died.

That's just Sky though; an unadulterated hype-machine that lost it's credibility as an authority of football matters a long time ago. If Ronaldo decides to have a packet of prawn 'n' cocktail Walkers instead of his usual cheese and onion, it's headline news.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:39 pm 

We will employ somebody whose biggest achievement in their managerial career will be managing us. As a result they will simply be a puppet of the board and will fail to challenge upwards. It will be an incredibly underwhelming appointment and potentially a complete catastrophe. Gazidis has done nothing but resign me to 'God help us'

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:26 pm 
Acclaimed member

I certainly don't think we'll have any trouble attracting a candidate for the job. Arsenal are somewhat of a sleeping giant, have great facilities, have a decent transfer budget and a squad that although requires tweaking in certain areas (a possible understatement on my part here) is still quite good and under a different guy could be made to perform better than they currently do.

Every man and their dog are obviously being linked. Some names do excite - Emery is a top candidate for me, Ancelotti would also be a guy who would be inspirational. Rafa, while not a personal favourite of mine, would bring certain qualities that the team could do with. Jardim has shown a talent for bringing youth through which fits in with Arsenal. There's also a few guys who I really hope get nowhere near an interview....Brendon, I'm looking at you!! And I am definitely not liking the idea of giving someone like Arteta or Vieira the job, it's too much pressure for such managerial fledglings to handle. Low is another I'd have little confidence in either.

Whoever the appointment, I'd hope for someone who is an experienced guy who isn't overawed at the prospect of changing the club culture and identity over a period of time because frankly whatever happens and whoever comes it will take time and patience before we're capable of improving ourselves to the level of genuine contenders for big silverware or even CL football through league qualification. The example of United and Ferguson is cited lots and there's definitely lessons we can learn from what happened after he left and I hope that the club not only have a plan but are prepared to stick with it if things get dicey in the short term. It is a HUGE test for the Arsenal board and it'll be interesting to see how they handle it as they're certainly not immune from criticism in terms of the club's decline for the peak Wenger years.

If I had to pick one candidate to get the job, as difficult as that is, I am leaning towards the raised eyebrows of Carlo. He knows the PL, has worked at top clubs with big players and been successful at it. Currently unattached. What's not to like there?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:10 pm 
Acclaimed member

I wonder about the exact process. It seems significant to me that two of the three 'search committee' really driving the process, Sanlehi [sic] and Mislintat, have been at the club for less than a year! Normally we would worry about that, but it is necessary in our case.

I think the only problem for me with someone like Ancelotti is that he doesn't necessarily guarantee us a return to the CL (not with the competition these days), and he will probably be gone after 2-3 years, possibly still without CL and now having lost quality players like Ozil to age. It's important for the next manager to take advantage of the reputation of the club and the quality of the players that we accrued even during Wenger's later, diminished years.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:45 am 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
Based on our current setup with a DOF, Head of recruitment, Contracts head, etc, the new appointment will most likely be an Arteta/Vieira type head coach. I wouldn't mind Arteta as he is highly rated and this makes sense based on our setup. Of the names being linked, I would not mind having Allegri or Enrique, but would they play the football that the club crave? One thing I do want though is attacking football. I really do not want this boring sitting back the whole game robotic stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:22 pm 

I don't want Arteta or Vieira. Not experienced enough and while Arteta may be doing well at City (I don't know whether he is or not by the way) working as a coach under Pep with that squad isn't even in the same ball park as what he would have to do here.

In one of his latest articles, Kevin Whitcher states he is expecting Ancelotti for a basic clear up and clear out operation. No idea if there's anything in that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next