It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who Will Be The New Manager?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:35 pm 

As much as I love them, only those with rose tinted specs would want ex players with no real managerial pedigree like Vieira, Arteta or Henry.

Max Allegri, I think he is an excellent manager, but I don't think he will come.
Tuchel, will not come because of the much publicised spat with Sven.
Blanc has been mentioned in some circles but I just cannot see him here
Same with Zidane should he fall out of favour with Madrid

I would love to see Simeone, although he looks the type that would smack Anthony Taylor in the face if he looked at one of our players the wrong way.

Benitez would do a job here if the Barcodes lower their termination fee, Ancelotti too, but they would both be short term appointments of a year maybe two at most.

But as much as I DO NOT WANT THIS GUY ANYWHERE NEAR THE CLUB apart from if we give his current team a whipping in Europe I feel we will get Brendan Rodgers, it has Gazidis and Silent Stan written all over it I would rather have I am the Walrus over at Everton turn up at the Emirates than Rodgers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:28 pm 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
Emperor wrote:
I don't want Arteta or Vieira. Not experienced enough and while Arteta may be doing well at City (I don't know whether he is or not by the way) working as a coach under Pep with that squad isn't even in the same ball park as what he would have to do here.

In one of his latest articles, Kevin Whitcher states he is expecting Ancelotti for a basic clear up and clear out operation. No idea if there's anything in that.

Not sure why we would need Ancelotti to come in as a 'hatchet man'. Isn't that what Sanllehi is here for? Arteta and Vieira make perfect sense based on our current setup. I think we are going to go for a youthful, forward thinking management team hence why we have already employed Per Mertesacker as the head of youth development. Arteta and Per could work well together IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:35 pm 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
swanny200 wrote:
As much as I love them, only those with rose tinted specs would want ex players with no real managerial pedigree like Vieira, Arteta or Henry.

Max Allegri, I think he is an excellent manager, but I don't think he will come.
Tuchel, will not come because of the much publicised spat with Sven.
Blanc has been mentioned in some circles but I just cannot see him here
Same with Zidane should he fall out of favour with Madrid

I would love to see Simeone, although he looks the type that would smack Anthony Taylor in the face if he looked at one of our players the wrong way.

Benitez would do a job here if the Barcodes lower their termination fee, Ancelotti too, but they would both be short term appointments of a year maybe two at most.

But as much as I DO NOT WANT THIS GUY ANYWHERE NEAR THE CLUB apart from if we give his current team a whipping in Europe I feel we will get Brendan Rodgers, it has Gazidis and Silent Stan written all over it I would rather have I am the Walrus over at Everton turn up at the Emirates than Rodgers.

Why is Brendan Rogers so heavily linked? Bookies have him at decent odds. Where has all this come from??????

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:53 pm 

Emperor wrote:
I don't want Arteta or Vieira. Not experienced enough and while Arteta may be doing well at City (I don't know whether he is or not by the way) working as a coach under Pep with that squad isn't even in the same ball park as what he would have to do here.

In one of his latest articles, Kevin Whitcher states he is expecting Ancelotti for a basic clear up and clear out operation. No idea if there's anything in that.

Could have said the same thing about Nagelsmann, Zidane, Andre Vilas Boas (at Porto). I'm pretty sure Gazidis gave us a clue when he mentioned about the board being brave in their decision. The current setup seems to be pointing in the way of employing a young head coach who can fine tune our team and bring fresh, modern ideas to add to our current style of play.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:25 am 

Team South East wrote:
Emperor wrote:

Could have said the same thing about Nagelsmann, Zidane, Andre Vilas Boas (at Porto). I'm pretty sure Gazidis gave us a clue when he mentioned about the board being brave in their decision. The current setup seems to be pointing in the way of employing a young head coach who can fine tune our team and bring fresh, modern ideas to add to our current style of play.

I would have said the exact same thing. Nagelsmann is getting rave reviews and is overachieving with his team in 5th although they concede a lot of goals. Zidane is under pressure but then anyone is at Real, although the CL should counter the large gap between them and Barca in the League. AVB? I don't think so. He hasn't learnt how to clear his throat yet, let alone sustain a successful managerial career.

Not sure what you mean by our current style of play. If you mean slow, ponderous football, littered with defensive lapses combined with a regular inability to start games quickly and focused which is what I've seen for the last few seasons, then we need more than fresh ideas.

I don't think it would be brave for the board to appoint someone like Arteta or Vieira in the least. There's such a desperate desire among some Arsenal fans and the world in general for the prophecy of 'be careful what you wish for' to come true. It's worse than the current bollocks about Nibiru. Seeing as the board have hidden behind Arsene for years, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them hire an unproven unknown whom they can quietly control so that they can watch him fail and then shake their heads in collective sadness while the football world points and laughs. Not to mention that if they get someone young and unproven, there is no way on earth they will pay him what Arsene was on, so there's a bit of money saved for Stan already.

As for Arteta making 'perfect sense' I disagree. I don't get how employing someone with no managerial experience and thus no tangible evidence of success, who would need to oversee a major overhaul of talent (forget working with Per, the first team is the priority right now, not some 12 year old who might kick straight in a few years) which would involve a through knowledge of scouting, budgetary and tactical awareness as the option he is used to of spending £100 million if you want a couple of full backs doesn't exist as well as the fact that 'Arteta' isn't a name the top players would line up to be signed for makes 'perfect sense.'

That's as well as having to develop and improve players like Iwobi, Mustafi, Welbeck, Xhaka and others (should they not be sold) who wouldn't make City's (or the rest of the top 5) reserves combined with a year of Thursday-Sunday football again.

Regarding Rodgers, it's a mystery to me. Paul Merson has used both his written and television 'work' to say that Rodgers ticks all the boxes for Arsenal; as he is a Chelsea fan through and through, I see why he would say that. It's like me saying David Moyes would be a great for for Spurs should Poch be poached by Madrid.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:43 am 
Acclaimed member

Arteta would need to command incredible respect within the club, to be able to inspire players that he only recently was a team-mate of. With some of our better players having featured at the Europe's best clubs and under some very recognised managers, is that really an appointment which will whip this squad into shape?

But it would be a very Arsenal-board type of appointment. A cheaper option, unlikely to be as strong-willed and challenging. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds for the board, particularly Gazidis as the squirmy little shite has been an invisible presence for the past two years barring times of success when it was self-serving to be able to come out of the shadows.

Emperor wrote:
Regarding Rodgers, it's a mystery to me.

He's able to trade off his earlier reputation as an innovator and that one Suarez-led season at Liverpool, bolstered by his successes at Celtic and the long unbeaten run they had; not withstanding the real - and only - test is a European campaign and they failed as miserably as any other recent Celtic manager has, as expected.

A non-starter for me as:
a) Unable to maintain the momentum of his earlier success at Liverpool
b) About as charismatic as a mouldy banana
c) Ego
b) He'll play good football at times, but ultimately it won't lead anywhere

Oh and e) "Arsenal lack class"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:45 am 
Acclaimed member

Yep, Brendan Rodgers has never really proven that he is a top manager, and isn't even very young to boot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:14 am 

I'd be totally against Arteta if I'm honest. Many great coaches have taken the reigns at football clubs and been total shambles. The type of great coaches who earned their reputations over years.

If Arteta was come in as a No.2 then I'd be delighted but it would be a great appointment but I doubt he would. Because ultimately with Wenger departing, Bould should too. Fresh look top to bottom thanks.

Diego Simeone should be our No.1 target but Gazidis has clearly decided that won't be the case.

One left field appointment would be Gheorge Hagi, or equally Graham Potter.

Graham Potter would be very much modern Wenger mould. He could be an absolute catalyst of an appointment.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:36 pm 
Acclaimed member

I wonder what odds we would get for Arteta to start next season as manager and Benitez to finish the season as manager?

Personally I don't want Arteta anywhere near it. He has never managed a club. I'm not sure why being Guardiola's mate (who of course everyone revers now for what he has done this season) and people saying nice things about him qualifies him for this job at this time. He needs to earn his stripes elsewhere first. Big clubs with genuine ambition don't appoint people with zero experience as a manager unless it is a desperate situation (mid-season sacking / caretaker boss type situation) and this is not a desperate situation at all.

Anyway, wasn't there something in the tabloids a couple of months ago about the players not wanting to work with Arteta because he was arrogant? Might all be rubbish but then again...

I am pleased though that Enrique seems to be the other candidate mentioned. At least its someone with some top level pedigree among these lesser candidates. I thought he was done to be the next Chelsea manager, seems that may not be the case.

I still expect the Arsenal board / Gazidis to balls this up. It seems the lines are drawn between Raul and Gazidis and who will win out. Problem is, if Gazidis decides to take front and centre with this, like he has thus far with that pointless statement which seems nothing more than a vanity project in hindsight, and he does appoint his choice of Arteta and it goes wrong, Gazidis does not have a lot of good faith with the supporters in the bank to fall back on and I think the supporters will go after him more so than they would Arteta.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:19 pm 
Acclaimed member

Let's not bring tabloid rubbish into it, shall we?

I agree that it's ridiculous Arteta is in the running at all. Only in a feel-good kids' anime story, maybe. People point to Zidane, but his success as a coach was not guaranteed, he inherited a Ronaldo-led RM team, and he had worked for years as part of the RM coaching system. RM/Barca also offered a more established structure for young Zidane/Guardiola.

The question is whether we can make our mind up fast enough and then make a good, clear offer to someone like Luis Enrique (since Tuchel is out, it seems). If we dither and dally until late May/early June with half a clue as to who we actually want... ugh.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:47 pm 
Acclaimed member

I am naturally distrustful of coaches who have achieved success at Real and Barcelona, but two benefits of Luis Enrique is that he doesn't suffer fools and does try and play football in the right way (much as he played it himself). He would be a strong candidate to galvanise a team and bring an edge.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:51 pm 

My views on Arsenal are generally not shared by most on here so feel free to laugh/mock me on my thoughts on some names in the frame.

Diego Simione - Pretty much ruled out by us and Diego himself. However could this be a bluff? I would love him at Arsenal however I think he is too attached to Atletico. The Europa Cup is less important to him compared to us... can the head to head games change circumstances and make it more likely he comes to us?
Max Allegri - Amazing record at Juve and top choice for me. Great tactician. If available I reckon we can get him even ahead of Chelsea.
Luis Enrique - Great managers prove themselves at all clubs big or small - can he work with our mediocre squad? Would be a great choice if he has the money to spend. Worries me if Wenger is endorsing him though...
Patrick Vieira - Limited managerial experience however as a player he was a world class natural leader (my fave Arsenal player). Would like him to get more experience, however I won’t mind if he is chosen...
Mikel Arteta - Hasn’t proved enough as a player or coach. Maybe one for the future? Endorsed by Ramsey - strict no no for me.
Brendan Rodgers - F@#k off!
Antonio Conte - It’s gone pear shaped for him... as it does for most coaches at Chelsea! However, he has proved is worth as a great coach both at Juve and Chelsea, and his toughness would be exactly what Arsenal need right now.
Rafa Benitez - Here me out - I think he is one of the best tacticians in the business. He’s not good enough for a top tier club however I think while we are shit he could get the best out of our mediocre squad. Good short term option

TSE you always amuse me...
Quote:
The current setup seems to be pointing in the way of employing a young head coach who can fine tune our team and bring fresh, modern ideas to add to our current style of play

Do you really think a bit of ‘fine tuning’ is enough to make us competitive? And what do you mean about our ‘current style of play’? Are you thinking of our football between 2002-2004? Or perhaps some of the football between 2007-2009? Apart from the occasional flashes of brilliance our football over the past 3 years (both objectively and subjective) has been decidedly poor imo. Not entertaining or competitive.

Last edited by muckygooner on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:36 pm 

Mucky, I agree with you about Benitez, to be honest I keep on looking for long term solutions, but after watching the Wenger vs Fergie feud documentary on Monday it sunk in.

We will never see a manager at the same club for 20 years anymore, I doubt we will see someone at a club for 15 years, they were special times.

The new manager has £50m to spend according to reports, that isn't a lot in the current climate which means that they either have to work with what they have plus a couple of small deals along with selling deadwood to get the cash they need or Sell deadwood and a couple of other big names that we will be really sad to see go.

Only issue with both is that if it doesn't work out then they will be gone after 1 maybe 2 seasons, if it is Benitez then I will not really bat an eyelid as he will be a temporary solution but if it is a big name like an Enrique or an Allegri, who hasn't been given a decent budget to use then I will be annoyed because knowing our luck they will go to their next team and win everything going while we struggle.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:36 pm 
Acclaimed member

And Unai Emery is on his way out of Paris.

A manager who has been hugely successful when possessing far less of a budget and advantage as his more prestigious rivals; I hope the decision-makers are keeping close tabs on this one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:08 pm 
Acclaimed member

I'm sceptical of Emery. Yes his cup record is very good but I would prefer someone with a better record in league competition, which is different to winning knockout cups. Yes he won the league this season but that was only after the competition was plundered last summer - the season before despite having the best squad in France and an unlimited budget he still managed to finish behind Monaco. In La Liga his record is I don't think anything to really shout about.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next