It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Chelsea vs Arsenal
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:51 pm 

Well change the manager and sod all changes it seems.
What kind of team selection is that. If we don't have a better option than Iwobi we're in deep shit.
Pay money for a keeper and keep Cech in who is past it. Pay for a defensive midfielder and still play Xhaka. FFS we're playing Chelsea, not one of the minor teams. Looks like 0 points from 2 games so basically playing catch up before the season has barely started.

Post subject: Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:20 pm 

Yeah, with both Xhaka and Iwobi in the team we're already impeded. Maybe Torreira isn't fit? Maybe as a sign of how far we've declined, he's given up on the first 2 games and we'll go with more new players in a 36 match season. Not expecting much but could well sneak a draw. No Hazard from the start which is a bonus.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:54 pm 
Acclaimed member

This game had a mixture of good and bad from an Arsenal point of view but the one consistent point was our own inconsistencies in how we play. We had periods where every player was a full 2 seconds behind their counterpart on the pitch, we had periods where we pressed aggressively and it paid off at the other end. We created great chances only to squander them, we left ourselves open to counter attack, we threatened heavily on the right flank (1st half especially) and showed we have quality in the final third. We heroically defended at times, at others you could carve us open with the sharp side of an A4 sheet. It literally had everything today.

Guendouzi is a player I like a lot. In the first half hour of the match he was the only player looking to drive things forward in midfield, he's got a good touch and a base physique that'll stand him in good stead in the PL. Once Bellerin got into Alonso on the wing he became our main effective outlet and I thought Iwobi played his role fantastically today - he gave a physical presence who seemed to wriggle his way into good positions but with an end product. Torreira definitely gave us an edge in midfield that we needed from the beginning, alongside Ramsey he could form a partnership that'll (hopefully) master the arts of applying pressure in the middle and covering the tuft all day long. Aubamayang though was incredibly wasteful today and I hope those sorts of days are few and far between especially in the bigger games like this. Wish Lacazette, or Ramsey, or anyone else really, had started instead of Ozil who was the very definition of absent.....Maybe the mental side of things is the issue for him what with all the criticism he generally gets plus a rather awkward summer on top, however he was a passenger today and we simply can't afford any of those out there.

Not disappointed with the result as such, given the oppositions resurgence and subsequent dominance after the break they deserved to call themselves the better side and deserved the three points. One could definitely argue we were lucky to have run things that close anyway, though we also showed that when we want to really go at a team we can and had we been able to keep the pressure on for a more prolonged period then we could have taken the points ourselves. Personally all judgement is reserved on this side until the end of the season for me because whatever changes are occuring at Arsenal will be small steps at a time and over a period of time but Emery will be learning from all this and the hope is that we can build on today's positives.....because there were more than a few to take from today.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:18 pm 
Acclaimed member

I saw Iwobi start and I just knew manuhater would be here. :lol: The lad got himself a nice goal and, as usual, was neither our saviour nor our biggest problem.

We were never going to change very quickly. I suspect, so far, with Wenger at the helm we'd have seen much the same results and team selection.

What I'm more concerned about is some of the problems that we're stuck with. Mustafi isn't going anywhere soon, and is harder to drop than Xhaka because of the injury to Koscielny. Our attack is going to continue to be incredibly unbalanced. Ozil was piss poor invisible, but so was Mkhitaryan for over half of the game. We don't have good ways to connect these players together, especially because we can't seem to play Lacazette with Aubameyang.

A Cazorla or Rosicky would do wonders for this team right now; in terms of the role they could play, you would take off Ozil or anybody else in this team to make room for them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:02 pm 
Acclaimed member

arcaliea wrote:
I saw Iwobi start and I just knew manuhater would be here. :lol: The lad got himself a nice goal and, as usual, was neither our saviour nor our biggest problem.

We were never going to change very quickly. I suspect, so far, with Wenger at the helm we'd have seen much the same results and team selection.

What I'm more concerned about is some of the problems that we're stuck with. Mustafi isn't going anywhere soon, and is harder to drop than Xhaka because of the injury to Koscielny. Our attack is going to continue to be incredibly unbalanced. Ozil was piss poor invisible, but so was Mkhitaryan for over half of the game. We don't have good ways to connect these players together, especially because we can't seem to play Lacazette with Aubameyang.

A Cazorla or Rosicky would do wonders for this team right now; in terms of the role they could play, you would take off Ozil or anybody else in this team to make room for them.

Funny you say that about Ozil and Mkhitaryan, I think fitting both those players into this attack and getting them to click is probably a more difficult one to solve than Aubamayang and Lacazette. In all honesty I don't believe this side can be built around Ozil but Mkhitaryan seems far more likely to score and/or assist in this side, Lacazette looks a better candidate for working hard to press from the front as well as offer a pacey option on the counter. I really do hope Emery will try a quartet of Lacazette, Aubamayang, Mkhitaryan and Iwobi/Welbeck out, with Bellerin offering width of the right and Aubamayang driving the left channel I think that's about as balanced an attack as we can provide given the squad we have.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:28 pm 

We don't have any natural width in the side and it shows game after game. I think it really effects the balance of our play and makes us incredibly one dimensional time and time again. We're either narrow... or very narrow.

Xhaka was Xhaka today. I hope he doesn't make the squad any time soon let alone the first team. Thought both centre halves looked hopeless. I think a style of play is trying to be implemented by a manager with players who can't grasp it. Much akin to Palace with De Boer. Hopefully I'm wrong and just hope it to be a case of two very hard games.

I can't take much out of today's performance aside from the impressive Iwobi.

PEA and Lacazette have to worked into the team and Ozil and Xhaka dumped far from it. Think Ramsey was scapegoated today for the Man City game and that'll bereft him of any confidence two games into the season.

Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs will not get beaten by us this season. We will not pick up more than 5/30 points against that lot. Nothing new there and it's a joke. Sick of it. Really am. Wenger's gone, we're still playing the same rubbish in the same system. CLUELESS! :headbang: :tut: :tut:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:36 am 

I had a big fancy write-up but lost it, so I'll just distill it down.

Guendouzi is a gem.
Emery has the balls to drop or sub anybody.
We are a work in progress.
I expected exactly what we got from the first two fixtures.
Now it is time to go on a run even as we learn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:15 am 
Acclaimed member

Quote:
Funny you say that about Ozil and Mkhitaryan, I think fitting both those players into this attack and getting them to click is probably a more difficult one to solve than Aubamayang and Lacazette. In all honesty I don't believe this side can be built around Ozil but Mkhitaryan seems far more likely to score and/or assist in this side

I agree. I don't think we can beat big teams when we line up Ozil and Mkhitaryan the way we do now; there's nobody connecting them in attack and they don't offer enough in defense.

I'm not entirely convinced on Mkhitaryan, though. Can he revive his Dortmund form here? Ozil is hard to work with, and disappears far too often - but his assist / chance production over the last few years in the EPL is phenomenal and among the very best. Can Mkhitaryan give us 15+ assists if we give him the main spot? Seems like he also disappears fairly often.

I wouldn't mind selling both of them for a healthy Rosicky or Cazorla in their prime. But in the real world, I would try a lot harder to get the best out of Ozil.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:14 am 
Acclaimed member

We had about 15 minutes in this game where we could have gone in 4 or 5-2 up at half time. Aubameyang's first miss was a shocker, Mikhtaryan's chance wasn't much better. Iwobi's chance I thought was a bit more difficult. I don't expect Aubameyang to be missing the chances he did though as badly as he did.

The problem was after half time yet again we were unable to get out of our half and build on our finish to the first half. It was like that for 90 minutes against Man City and around 70-75 minutes against a far more average Chelsea team. But until Lacazette decided the best option was to pass the ball to the edge of our own box to Chelsea's best player, we actually very well could have gotten away with a point given Cech also was in good form. That goal though was coming though.

Emery needs points on the board and fast. The West Ham game is now a must win.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:54 am 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
AGAIN, wasted chances. We should have put that game to bed but we were far too casual in front of goal. I put it down to match sharpness but we really do need to show ruthessness in front of goal or we will never get into that top bracket of world football. To me we seemed far too narrow. We didn't get out to their wide players quick enough and we are not organised enough defensively. I expect us to improve on this. We also lack tenacity and aggression. Way too soft in the tackle. Too angry to type any more but I really do think we can get back some confidence over the next few weeks.