It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mesut Ozil, health and wellbeing
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:31 pm 

So time to discuss, firstly the ESPN story that Ozil had a bust up with Emery which turned up being a non starter trying to cause sh*t.

I have been discussing it with people on social media, here we have a player who is quite fragile emotionally, people who have read his book say that he really takes things to heart.

Look at what has happened the last couple of seasons, he played really well then one of his main playing partners in Alexis was undecisive over his contract, so was his boss who he was quite close to, then he goes away to the World Cup, his team has a mare and he is left as a scapegoat for the entire team.

He is caught between a country that he plays for and loves vs the country his parents are from and he still has roots attached in.

There is also something else here... Could it be depression?, there is also an interview with Wenger last year where he mentioned an immune illness, could it be something similar to Darren Fletcher or Fabian Caballero.

All of these could contribute so being off the boil, this isn't really a job where your manager can send you away for 6 months to not play to sort out your head without there being accountability that he is still in receipt of a hell of a lot of wages every week.

How do we manage this?

Post subject: Re: Mesut Ozil, health and wellbeing
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:01 pm 

Sell him if that's the case. If he can't cope with work mates leaving him then I'm sorry but he really does need to go. He's not child losing his best mate whose parents are moving!

What happened this summer was not nice for him, he was scapegoated by an entire nation which is bad but at the same time he went distinctly missing for the national side in their time of need. On the back of a PR disaster which he is totally accountable for.

I'm sorry if he is in a dark place then there is only one person to blame and I have no sympathy for him. The last time we really saw something like this was when Aaron Ramsey went totally off the tracks on the back of Speed's passing. There are circumstances when you make every allowance for a player and that was such a time.

This situation with Ozil... no.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:56 am 
Acclaimed member

Obviously we're only privy to what we read and see on the pitch so we've no real idea of what's going on in his head or behind the scenes but what seems abundantly clear to me is that Ozil, for whatever reason, is not with it right now and hasn't been for a while. While many supporters will default to the "get rid" school of thinking, which I can understand when viewing things purely from an on the pitch/results point of view, I feel that it's the duty of the club to support him in any way we can and hopefully help the lad to rediscover himself. More so if it is a case that Metsut has a mental health or ongoing physical issue, if nothing else any employer has that duty. Ultimately it might not work out but in the meantime we have to try to get him back in a groove, there aren't really many other options!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:24 pm 
Acclaimed member

At the end of the day, if he can't perform, we need to get rid.

While we do have him, though, it's stupid, malicious, and pointless the way some people (not you swanny) keep speculating. If he's sick, he's sick. People have personal issues and it affects their form. Giroud went through a hard time a while ago and was pretty crap on the pitch. You do have to cut the rope and say "sorry mate" if it goes on too long, but while you are supporting them, you support them - you don't interrogate every daily mail story asking why he can't just take an aspirin.

It seems clear that he is a sensitive fellow, and that he's been subject to a disproportionate amount of shitty gossip and unconstructive criticism over the years. The club and fans should fully support and help him get back to form; if he can't do that, and has a bad year, we should look to move him on. That's all there is to it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:43 am 
Acclaimed member

If the worst comes to the worst and Ozil is effectively going to be moved on I do wonder what sort of interest he'd generate though. I understand in the Summer he was in a great bargaining position with the club to get such a HUGE deal but considering he was potentially available for nothing there didn't seem to be any concrete interest in him from anywhere. His current deal effectively means that he's priced out of the market as Rooney was not so long ago after his wages went to £300k PW so we'd be taking a rather massive hit, writing him off like United did for Rooney to Everton.

Financially speaking, are we stuck with him?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:38 pm 
Acclaimed member

Woody wrote:
Financially speaking, are we stuck with him?

That's the issue. Regardless of where Ozil's head is at, his demands, whatever the coach wants, Ozil is here to stay.

We have two issues on that front though - firstly Arsenal from a contracts point of view have not handled situations very well and are unable to get top players to commit long term to the club. The deal we gave him which time will only tell if it was worth it or not, was massive and not something we can write off. However, we had to tie him down I think from a prestige point of view. The message that losing him and Sanchez would have sent out would have been really negative and would have impacted on last summers business. He is also our most talented player, inconsistent or not.

The second issue is that we can't sell players. It seems our rivals can get rid of their squad players for good money and yet Arsenal can't even give their players away.

There is no way Arsenal will be able to move Ozil on and not take a massie financial hit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:43 pm 

Well I hope he's got the right head on today because he's playing and a scrap with a Colin team is no place for someone who is not 100% focussed!