It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Emery's Style
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:05 pm 

Can't help reading a lot of give Emery time for his style to be implemented and adopted and such statements from everyone.

What concerns me is the following;

1) Nobody as yet has looked remotely comfortable playing out from the back. Certainly not Cech, nor either CB. This style of play is not something that players will be accustomed too, you get players who look comfortable on the ball and then you get players who don't. For me this is a huge concern.

2) The high line. I think it's not working and it's very easy to open us up. Although I'll be quick to state this is something that I think can be perfected on the training pitch but I hope we're not going to persist with it week in week out. A high line in this league that has an abundance of pace is concerning.

Very, very early to be critical. And hopefully this raises more a concern than a critique but I feel like it's very much square pegs in round holes at the minute. Or is it just me?

Post subject: Re: Emery's Style
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:13 pm 
Acclaimed member

There are problems at the back but its the whole team that has to adjust, not just the the backline and goalkeeper. If you are to play out from the back then when the defenders drop deep then the midfield also needs to move into positions to receive the ball and the attackers the same etc and there needs to be a cohesive understanding of what is to take place from these goal kicks / free kicks in our own penalty box. At the moment it seems to break down very quickly as we are unable to feed the ball properly into midfield and have to bypass it. It will take time, either for players to learn, for Emery to find the right balance with the players he has or for players to be replaced in subsequent transfer windows.

Currently Emery doesn't know his best team and is undergoing a kind of trial by fire finding solutions, particularly in central midfield and the number 10 position. We do though need to find a settled central midfield partnership quick and I think once Torreira is up to speed he will improve our ability to play the ball out.

What also doesn't help Emery is that both Bellerin and Mustafi are poor defenders. Bellerin has kind of made up for his shortcomings with some great offensive play so far this season but he must improve defensively. Mustafi is a poor defender in this league full stop and even though Koscielny can't come back from injury quick enough, I was surprised we didn't get another centre back after Chambers was let out on loan.

It does seem though that Emery will not compromise in his style and if we don't pick up points we should in the next month or two the calls for him to compromise will increase. Rome wasn't built in a day but he won't get a chance to build if results don't go his way or performances don't improve as the season goes on. If it turns out he doesn't have the players to play the way he wants and they can't learn that's fine but he will have to make do with what he has and that means finding a way to make things work short term. We don't have £200-£300 million to splurge on defenders like some clubs so we have to be clever.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:19 pm 
Acclaimed member

I don't think he should scrap his plans after 3 games, although everybody can see the problems with it at the present. The question is how long we can give it.

What I noticed was that rather than defenders freezing up in fear, they'd get the ball, look up, and simply see nobody to pass it to. Not enough midfielders moving around making themselves available. This is actually a problem we've had for several years since the injury to Cazorla, even under Wenger. It's going to need both our central midfields to work on it, as well as how we combine and build on the wings - it's going to affect everyone up to Ozil/Mkhitaryan/Iwobi.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:39 pm 

I don't disagree with the midfielders not doing the best they can for the defenders but this sort of style will always invite high pressure. Cech looks totally incapable of doing what he's asked to do, as well as the Greek or Mustafi. Just doesn't sit well with me. Needs to try different personnel.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:42 pm 

And so today is proving yet another example. Sorry but it's a style that quite clearly isn't going to work. Unless he changes at least 3 of the side... which he doesn't look willing to do.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:53 pm 

It's going to take a lot more time. It took Pep a good season to get Man City comfortable playing out from the back and his defense functioning the way he wanted. And lots and lots of money. A luxury we don't have.

Cech is clearly not comfortable or the answer at GK if we are going to play this way. He is still making good saves and with time he could be basically competent. The concern to me is Leno. He is touted as being made for this style but can't get ahead of the aging Cech, that's a worry. I think Emery wants to make him earn it.

Torreira definitely makes us look better in defense, but has been eased in slowly. It will be interesting to see how the midfield functions once he is starting matches.

Ozil seems the biggest concern on fitting Emery's style. And to an extent Xhaka, even though he has played a lot so far.

Time. It's going to take more than three matches to know.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:35 pm 
Acclaimed member

Emery will get there because he's ruthless enough to remove players who don't fit into his preferred style of play, but it will take time; at the moment he is dealing with an imbalanced and ill-fitting squad, plugging holes with decent players (i.e. Sokratis) due to necessity, rather than necessarily ones he may have targeted otherwise.

It took Guardiola a year to stop his team looking like a shambles when playing out from the back; Emery doesn't have £200m+ to throw at it unlike 'chequebook Joe'. That said, there are some anomalies. £26m is not a backup keeper and Cech is truly atrocious with his feet. That swap needs to take place asap; any half-decent side looking at our performances will have a 50/50 chance of getting something from Cech if they press because he cannot play and the personnel infront of him don't have the mindset to help, bar Guendouzi.

Xhaka is a problem, Ozil doesn't really fit.

I hope yesterday was a step towards finalising the attacking set-up though. Albeit loathe to remove Aubameyang as the point man, the Lacazette and Aubameyang partnership demonstrated a lot of promise in pre-season. We are a much better team with both on the pitch, Lacazette is too impressive a player to leave out to shoehorn an ill-fitting player in elsewhere. His link play is better than Aubameyang's; akin to Giroud in the way he will drop off to create space, but far more dynamic in his ability to also make runs in behind.

It should be those two plus one other in attack. And if that means Ozil is absent, so be it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:32 pm 
Acclaimed member

LoneGunner wrote:
It should be those two plus one other in attack. And if that means Ozil is absent, so be it.

I don't see Ozil as a wide option in Emery's style. I think he will ultimately end up as a central midfielder, playing in front of the two which will be probably be Torreira and Xhaka / Guendouzi. Of course the problem is that is the Aaron Ramsey position but that problem may resolve itself if Ramsey chooses not to renew his deal.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:14 pm 

LoneGunner wrote:
Emery will get there because he's ruthless enough to remove players who don't fit into his preferred style of play, but it will take time; at the moment he is dealing with an imbalanced and ill-fitting squad, plugging holes with decent players (i.e. Sokratis) due to necessity, rather than necessarily ones he may have targeted otherwise.

He's not though is he? How can he justify Xhaka's inclusion time and time again? He's a complete disaster and it's an embarrassment watching him start every week.

Persisting with Cech when it is abundantly clear he cannot do what is being asked of him. Whoever thinks he may adapt to Emery's style is living on cloud cuckoo too. Absolutely no chance.

Sokratis being decent... that's all he'll be. He's not excelled or got any better and again looked thrown by the physicality against Cardiff. Would Holding not be worth a look in? Pep built with young players, not 30+ year olds!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:19 pm 
Acclaimed member

Balboa wrote:
He's not though is he? How can he justify Xhaka's inclusion time and time again? He's a complete disaster and it's an embarrassment watching him start every week.

Who knows, but it may be lack of personnel. We have three players for two positions at the moment, until Elneny is reintegrated; perhaps Emery doesn't yet feel Torreira is at optimal fitness after the world cup, perhaps he doesn't feel he has settled yet, perhaps he isn't quite fulfilling the tactical brief in training.

We can't offer serious judgement here until he has the full complement of players at his disposal and has had opportunity to rectify the weakness; that will be over the next 12 months and two transfer windows. If Xhaka is still in the first-XI then, and still underperforming, a critique can be justified.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:40 am 
Acclaimed member

It's bound to take time for Emery to find and implement a balance that best suits an unbalanced squad and I certainly agree that 12 months, two windows is a reasonable timescale to adequately judge the mans impact upon Arsenal. I certainly don't think you can make many fair judgements after a handful of games, and given the historic (though hopefully not systemic) issues with the team under Wenger there's no way on earth I'd realistically expect much different from the archetypal 'mixed bag' so far displayed in our performances.

I am however encouraged by the direction Emery seems to be aiming for and I'm hoping that he's got enough grit to see his change of style take hold positively without being afraid to make a big call if necessary. He's maybe not starting the XI I'd want him to but then when it comes to players like Xhaka who've not been wholly convincing you'd hope that they can get them to perform after all, and the only way to do that is to play them. Give the squad a chance to impress, forge a true competitive environment where every place is up for grabs to those who earn it, find out your most effective XI.....Perhaps Emery hasn't figured that quite yet but then I'd wager few people at this point could.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:28 am 
Acclaimed member

Balboa wrote:
Sokratis being decent... that's all he'll be. He's not excelled or got any better and again looked thrown by the physicality against Cardiff. Would Holding not be worth a look in? Pep built with young players, not 30+ year olds!

Yes, because Pep got a 55-million John Stones as his arrival present, on top of the recently arrived 45m Otamendi. And then that clearly wasn't good enough, so he got himself a nice 50m Kyle Walker and 65m Aymeric Laporte.

Emery could say, screw it, Koscielny and Monreal are retiring soon, Xhaka and Mustafi suck, we'll just play every single match this season with Holding-Mavropanos and Guendouzi. Building for the future, right?

Pep also came at a time when City had just been playing with a 33-year old Sagna, 31-year old Zabaleta, 30-year old Kolarov, 30-year old Clichy... City had an even direr need for fresh blood, and a lot more money to do it with.

Mind you, I'm not particularly impressed with any of our post-Wenger transfers yet except for Torreira. But we've got to work with what we have now. I certainly think we should drop Cech.

What's up with Elneny anyway? Why is he now the invisible man?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:49 pm 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
9 wins on the trot, 2nd top scorers in the league, 4th in the league, 2 points from top position, lovely goals being scored (Ramsey Vs Fulham). Come on you've gotta give credit where it's due!! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:05 am 
Acclaimed member

It's certainly a lot better than anyone would have bet on back in August or July, that's for sure.

We still have some weaknesses and questions - can we always push our fullbacks up so far, and have Bellerin fill in 3 positions at once? Can we actually play Aubameyang and lacazette together? Can we get Mesut Ozil to be Mesut Ozil again?

But it certainly seems like, at least during this early honeymoon period, everyone's getting a mental lift from having some fresh air. I'm really looking forward to the next 'big' opposition to see how Emery will help us prepare for them more specifically and effectively. Chelsea game showed signs, but he will really need a convincing win versus Liverpool, or even Spurs/United (a puddle of poo they may be at the moment).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:06 am 

Team South East wrote:
Come on you've gotta give credit where it's due!! :lol: :lol:

I am still a bit cautious because we still haven't seen enough games for a thorough judgment. But there's every reason to be optimistic: He seems to be willing to adapt the line-up to the opposition, he is not afraid of benching high status players, and there are early signs that not only the team in general is "getting" his playing style, but individual players are benefiting from it in particular.

However, there are still some question marks. How do we accomodate Lacazette and Aubameyang? Where does Özil fit in? How do we find more defensive stability? But as I said, I am cautiously optimistic. So far, it was fun to watch The Arsenal this season, and I haven't been able to say this for a long time.